Rabbit Roast - a picture story

Got into a bit of cooking tonight..... Brought back a bunch of rabbits from a trip to the SE in January, haven't got around to doing much with them!Always found them to be dry when I've cooked them before, so I figured this could be a winner B) First up, brown rabbit in some butter, before pouring away any butter left at the end. Posted ImageAfter pouring out butter, add in lemon rind + wedges, a bunch of sage, rosemary, half a dozen garlic cloves and a cinnamon stick. Then pour in around a litre of milk, just enough to almost cover your rabbitPosted ImageAround 40 mins later all was donePosted ImageWent well with the roast veggies I got going earlier on and chicken gravy Posted ImageStil not my favourite meat, but for a cheapo meal it went down pretty well. Sure was a lot more moist than rabbits I've cooked before. Try this recipe with chicken - except into the chook's cavity goes half the sage, a few garlic cloves and lemon wedges.... With the rind going into the milk.

Nice one Mr Mars!Actually that one is not dissimilar to some lamb shashlick marinades floating around...Don`t know about the cinnamon, but- marinate raw- would add to your concoction a decent splash of red wine (drink the rest)- sit in fridge 24-48 hours, stirring or turning when you remember- lots of pepper can be good too Must try with chicken...mmm, chicken...

I know a very cluey guy (a veterinarian) who has just gotten into SPF (specific pathogen free) organic rabbit farming, as he believes rabbit is set to be the next big thing.Since the avian influenza scare it appears asia is looking towards other good sources of protein apart from poultry, rabbit is a very lean meat, easily produced and readily available capable of feeding an ever growing population.His rabbits sell for $15.50 apiece, he has had overseas interest in .establishing SPF rabbit farms, and is currently seeking investors for what looks set to be a multi-million dollar international venture.Not bad considering they were a pest we used to shoot, and considered poor mans food you could buy in the pub from the local shooter at the grand price of 3 for $2.

• 2 weeks later...
I know a very cluey guy (a veterinarian) who has just gotten into SPF (specific pathogen free) organic rabbit farming' date=' as he believes rabbit is set to be the next big thing.Since the avian influenza scare it appears asia is looking towards other good sources of protein apart from poultry, rabbit is a very lean meat, easily produced and readily available capable of feeding an ever growing population.His rabbits sell for $15.50 apiece, he has had overseas interest in .establishing SPF rabbit farms, and is currently seeking investors for what looks set to be a multi-million dollar international venture.Not bad considering they were a pest we used to shoot, and considered poor mans food you could buy in the pub from the local shooter at the grand price of 3 for $2.[/quote']Yeah we used to trap them for their pelts for a whopping 1 penny per six lol
Guest Shark-Kat 6
I know a very cluey guy (a veterinarian) who has just gotten into SPF (specific pathogen free) organic rabbit farming' date=' as he believes rabbit is set to be the next big thing.Since the avian influenza scare it appears asia is looking towards other good sources of protein apart from poultry' date=' rabbit is a very lean meat, easily produced and readily available capable of feeding an ever growing population.His rabbits sell for $15.50 apiece, he has had overseas interest in .establishing SPF rabbit farms, and is currently seeking investors for what looks set to be a multi-million dollar international venture.Not bad considering they were a pest we used to shoot, and considered poor mans food you could buy in the pub from the local shooter at the grand price of 3 for $2.[/quote'']Yeah we used to trap them for their pelts for a whopping 1 penny per six lol
Geez Spog did ya trap Dinosaurs too??? :ohmy: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I know a very cluey guy (a veterinarian) who has just gotten into SPF (specific pathogen free) organic rabbit farming' date=' as he believes rabbit is set to be the next big thing.Since the avian influenza scare it appears asia is looking towards other good sources of protein apart from poultry' date=' rabbit is a very lean meat, easily produced and readily available capable of feeding an ever growing population.His rabbits sell for $15.50 apiece, he has had overseas interest in .establishing SPF rabbit farms, and is currently seeking investors for what looks set to be a multi-million dollar international venture.Not bad considering they were a pest we used to shoot, and considered poor mans food you could buy in the pub from the local shooter at the grand price of 3 for $2.[/quote'']Yeah we used to trap them for their pelts for a whopping 1 penny per six lol
Geez Spog did ya trap Dinosaurs too??? :ohmy: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Yeah but after a few busted up traps i decided to downgrade :evil: Besides they were buggers to skin ;)