Tuna at Outer Harbour

Hey ppl, don`t know if it`s true or not but it could be. My old man & I used to catch them on our snook lines in the vicinity of the "Southwest Ground" many years ago when I was a youngster. Also used to catch them near the Orontes Beacon around Xmas, also on snook lines. (40+ years ago but) Cheers all..

Hey ppl' date=' don`t know if it`s true or not but it could be. My old man & I used to catch them on our snook lines in the vicinity of the "Southwest Ground" many years ago when I was a youngster. Also used to catch them near the Orontes Beacon around Xmas, also on snook lines. (40+ years ago but) Cheers all..[/quote'] We used to catch them out off Glenelg till about 1972 :)
As has been said' date=' it has happened before and I'm not saying its true this time but if the Leuwin current pushes in towards the coast it might just be possible or someone might of seen a few kingies cheers brenton[/quote']Tell'em they're dreamin' ....... Baby Marlin is as good as it's gonna get ;)

Could be true, we get the occasional school of kingies going through (escapees from hagen stehrs farms at lincoln and Cowell, someone over there might have had a massive tuna farm meltdown and theyre following the coast east???? Keep your eyes on the paper....I worked on the farms and it sometimes happens....(Just a thought).....

I was out deep off NH a few weeks back with a mate and his friend and just before sunset we saw a number of "fish" jumping, at first I said they must be dolphins but we went towards them and they were about a metre long, definitely not dolphins, very dark on the top and light underneath. One of the guys with us called them excitably as tuna, he has targeted and caught tuna before but not out off here of course. Me, I have never seen tuna before but he was pretty sure they were and they sure loked like fish to me. We were about 200 - 250 metres from them when they stopped jumping.Like some have said, anything is possible.

@ firefly, don`t have to go to Pondie area for dolphin fish / mahi mahi either, one was caught at Goannas on a snook line summer before last,also have personally seen a massive school of them up that way,that ended up in commercial nets near Pt. Wakefield. Cheers.

I was out deep off NH a few weeks back with a mate and his friend and just before sunset we saw a number of "fish" jumping' date=' at first I said they must be dolphins but we went towards them and they were about a metre long, definitely not dolphins, very dark on the top and light underneath. One of the guys with us called them excitably as tuna, he has targeted and caught tuna before but not out off here of course. Me, I have never seen tuna before but he was pretty sure they were and they sure loked like fish to me. We were about 200 - 250 metres from them when they stopped jumping.Like some have said, anything is possible.[/quote']The first person to catch a Metro Tuna is a HERO..lol.Would love to see a genuine report.CAN JUST SEE IT NOW.Report goes...I was just drifting a pillie back in the burley trail for reds when all hell broke loose.an hour later I boat an 18kg Tuna. hahaha

have heard two reports today about tuna just of outer harbour one old fella swears he seen a school of tuna around the 15 kilo mark a coupla hundred metres of the break wall and i also hear one has been caught already so who is the hero,secondly i know the bloke who caught the dolphin fish not that far out into our gulf and it was around this time of year to,also the tuna are being hit between kangaroo island and marion bay (so im told by charter blokes) so not that far of track to come in here..there was also a tinnie out trawling skirts on the weekend im told haha half his luck...

Yes Tuna off Marion Bay, my mate shane Nyholt just got back from taking out biggest tuna on day one of the 7th annual Tom Jenkins Tuna Contest in tasmania.Hes invited me to join him on a Marion Bay charter (not sure which operator as I cant go), but if hes headed there then the tuna must be there..lol. :clap::clap: Im spewin that Im cashed strapped or I would of taken him up on his invitation.

Wouldn't surprise me if tuna turned up this far up the gulf' date=' its happened before who says it cant happen again.[/quote']I thought they normally chase/follow schools of garfish?? Thats in summer time..Is that true??Cos they have to feed on something I guess?? But at this time of year wonder what they are going to feed on?
Wouldn't surprise me if tuna turned up this far up the gulf' date=' its happened before who says it cant happen again.[/quote']I thought they normally chase/follow schools of garfish?? Thats in summer time..Is that true??Cos they have to feed on something I guess?? But at this time of year wonder what they are going to feed on?
I'd say theyre feeding on the Salmon Trout that are in the area at the moment? :unsure:

Thanks for the detailed info O2 and Carps..... let's hope it's true as I've always longed for the Tuna to return back to migrating up through this Gulf since the early 70's :)

So true Fishie that would be good. :d/ But surely it would only be one small breakaway school that would probably get decimated or spooked pretty quick wouldnt they making them really really hard to catch??

Anyone lucky enough to see them don't motor straight through them and spook them down deep.... just slowly circle them to keep them in a tight ball up on the surface. there's nothing more frustrating than locating a school of salmon and keeping them tight only for some wally to come along and go straight through the school and wreck it for everyone... same goes for the Tuna ;)