G'day Guys,I am looking at getting into some some serious Mulloway fishing over winter and I need some help as to what gear should I use? I'm looking at about a $200-300 price range. I need to find out what weight rod, reel size and also lines that will be required. I'll be chasing them out of my kayak in the metro areas. I'll probably be chasing other species with this combo Snapper, Callop, Cod and anything else that is willing to grab a lure. :fishing: Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

id go for a light 6'6 5-10kg stick matched with a 3000-4000 reel for flicking lures with 20lb braid.. shimano saros 3000 and what ever rod really in that size range.. ive only ever thrown baits for mullies from the yak so i use 7ft silstar powertip with 3000 shimano baitrunner loaded with 20lb mono :)

My combo:Id be shopping around for one of these (last years model would be cheaper);http://cgi.ebay.com/11-Shimano-Thunnus-CI4-Saltwater-Spinning-Reel-TU-4000-/360342681993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e618f989and shopping around locally putting it on one of these:http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/products/Shimano-Jewel-762-Snapper-Spin-Fishing-Rod.html if your are going to mainly baitfish orhttp://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/products/Shimano-Raider-Mexican-Fire-Fishing-rods-by-Ian-Miller-%252d-732-Snapper-Light.html if your a going to throw lures and plastixSpool it with some 20lb ebay braid Probs have to stretch your budget a tad to do so but the reel would be very versatile,could live bait, bait fish and to an extent throw hardbodies and plastix around too.

a very underated rod i think is the rovex Air strike... i have the 3-6 but they do a 5-10kg ultra light, throw baits, lures its a great rod and for the price $50 its great value have caught stompa bream, decent trout, sambos with it i reckon be easy handle mullies and snapps ;) just a though...also i have this matched with a shimano symetre 1500 and use it for cod/callop in the safwaa dams :D

I can highly reccomend the Abu Veritas rod rated at 6-10kg and matched with a symetre 3000 or 4000 is a sick combo that you will slay Mullies and snapper in our gulf with.awesome for throwing plastics' date=' medium baits and leads and you could cast big mullies hardbodies too.[/quote']Just let him know that rod is still up for sale. :lol::lol::lol: :woohoo:
From the yak i would not go longer than a 6'10 rod with a short butt and a 3000 reel' date='i'd spool it up with 12-14 lb braid.The new Shimano Catana rods are good for the money (70 bucks) and that will give you a bit more for the reel something like a Stradic orTierra. cheers brenton[/quote']Agreed, 3000 size is plenty big enough.Look at maybe a saros 3000/(raider,jewel), combo with 15lb braid and you'll have enough firepower to stop plenty of fish.