Shark fishing tips

Mick, if you're just getting started and you have a boat, I'd suggest off the Section Bank for the little one's when the weather warms.The little Bronzies aren't real smart, so you can balloon a livey or float a dead bait. Get a good burley trail going then sit back and wait.They're quite small at the begining of the season (barely lagal) but as the season progresses the size also increases.It's a good way to cut ya teeth before looking at larger stuff, ya dont need any fancy gear to pull these little 3-5 footers, and they make for a great feed.I'll see you out there, but this year, the boat's stayin in the shed, so look for the nutter givin it a go from a kayak! ;)

Mick184, what rod n reel setup you got? i recently got an Alvey 6500 for the surf and was also wondering if it's capable for shark from shore, pretty confident it would be but wouldn't mind knowing if anybody knows from experience? probablly wrong time of year but how would someone go putting a live salmon on? and what rig would you use? sorry to cut in on your topic m8 but was curious

a nice chum trail is always important, metro i usually target them in the warmer months and in winter ul c me fishing around the yorkes for them coz were always a chance around there :) 1000m of 30 yo-zuri line, 400pound windon on a TLD 50A on a 27-34kg ROD (broomstick lol) and a tiagra 30W 1200m of 30 yo-zuri, 400pound wind on with a 15-24 kg rod. 200 pound coated wire or 400 pound mono with 2 10/0 hooks :)and about 2 meters of trace line.. will be trying to smash sharks off the metro beaches this summer to keep away from the crabbers throwing nets over my lines :@

got a good reel there mate, the senators will never stuff up on you if u give them abit of care, (altho my 9/0's antireverse carked it 10mins into a fight with a 10+ft that waas fun) combo's abit over board for the little ones (3-5ft) i chase these early season with 6-8lb gear lol im not too sure how you'd go finding them in the colder months as i have never done it, but if you wait for the warmers months october you'll see yourself smashing 3-5footers hard off metro jetty's and inshore marks, late october through to december you will have the chance of a big fella upto 10ft+ if your lucky, your 6/0 should be fine with most fish gettin close to 10ft, but just depends on how they feel like fighting for you, i'd probly swapo ur 24kg for 15kg line, use a decent 300-400lb wind on to a STRONG swivel yozuri have afew very strong ones out (cant remember the ones i use) and 250-400lb plastic coated wire with obe or two 10/0-12/0's on there depending on bait size ect. and you should be set using anything oily as bait, bonito would hav to be my fav.\hope this hepls any as im half asleep lolcheers ss

I use a Penn 6/0 with 500m of 50lb mono and a 400lb mono leader. Ive caught 2 sharks on it, 1st one was 9.6ft and the other one was a 7ft. The 9.6ft came close to spooling me, probably had another 80m of line left. Your 6/0 will be fine for the bronzies, just make sure you keep an eye on that spool if you hook a big one and if need be tighten the drag right up. :fishing:

Gear wise buddydepends on the species of sharks your tryint to target aswell as how big.for gummys and school sharks aswell as small bronzie to 5 foot300 metres of any line is adequatly plenty. i woulnt go no lower then 20lb though.your main line is not that much important its the correct knots from the mainline to your leader then to your wire trace.a reel such as overheads liek tlds would be perfect good value and good drags. even spin reels commonly used such as the penn spinfishers.for rods 10-15kg is perfect5 foot and bigger sharks your gear then needs to increase in strength aswell as capacity.a reel such as the shimano tld 30 and 50, Tiagras 30 and 50, or the Penn International 30 and 50, are the main common used lever drags here in australia but ther are many other brands also such as avet etc.all the way to the penn Senators these are star drag and preferd to use by alot of fishers in australia and around the world very famous.these leverdrag reels will hold in the 30lb mono range of 900+ metres which is massive on a normal size 30and the 50lb range on a size 30 would only be around 400 - 500 metres.on a 50 sized reel leverdrag it wil hold around 700-1000metres of 50lb mono, and of 30lb it will hold 1200++as for the star drags ther sized as numbers like the penn range eg. 6/0 , 9/0 etc. and daiwa range eg like 900H.rods is the easy part simple for 15/24kg to even 36kg.sharks to 5 foot leaders up to 100 - 200lb is plenty and wire trace from 90lb to 200lb more then plenty. hook sizes any were from 7/0 to 10/0 is plenty these can be in single or gangs dependin on baits. common used bait hole dead tommies, garfish, squid heads half/whole mackerl chow and all fish fillets can be used . oilyer the better salmon ;) sharks 5 foot up leaders from 300lb and 400lb + is needed and wire traces 300lb ++.hooks sizes from 10/0-12/0 is needed. and the same size baits can be used also but bigger is better as the term says bigger the bait bigger the fish and you need to make sure the is enough hook coverage out of the bait !best used baits :whole:mackerelsnooksquidbonitosalmonchoware bestand they need to bee fresh very important and they can be rigged in singles, or ganged. put one of these on live like mackerel or chow or salmon and if thers sharks there they wil pik teh vibrations up before a dead bait from long distance a way ;) thats pretty much it now all you need is abit or legal burley such as chopped up pilles and tuna oil slick works very well every soo often throw bits of pillie pieces out and a good constant burley slick with bread is very goodand liek this this will attract also the smaller fish which means fresh bait for you perfect and also other fish to could turn up like snapper and kingies ;) ballons set up above the trace 1metre to alll the way to 3mtres are common .id say my favorite is around 6 foot.ensure if you are gettin a run depending on the size of you bait its inportant that you ensure you give the shark enough time to swallow the bait before striking. and dont rush the fight take your time let it run when it stops its your turn to wind .have fun take care and hope this helped :fishing:oh and i used a Shimano Tiagra 30WLRS spooled ith 1100 metres of 30lb shougun and my rod it custom made 24kg sabre. :fishing:

Gday mate, your 6/0 special is fine - any shark you can catch on 50 lb line you'll be able to catch on 30lb so respool and get more line on and you won't be looking at an empty spool so often....(I use a 6/0 special and a 50lb roller tip off the beaches and it works fine) - again - any shark you can't stop on 30lb line you won't stop on 50.....Try down south around the reefs and structure - there's salmon cruising around down here most of the winter and theres always a few bronzies hanging around...If you come across a patch of salmon - get one - chuck an 8/0 - 10/0 shallow behind its head (wire trace) - let it swim back into the patch and follow it if there's a bronzey around it will beeline for the fish thats having trouble swimming....And have fun! ;)

hey dude most has been covered by the looks of it except for keep a bottle of water on hand at ALL times to keep your drag cool.. the last thing u need is a lock-up especially if ur tied in an not that heavy set...also when ever you decide to keep a shark for food VERY 1ST thing is de-fin an tail it along with head an guts.. i've been told they release something back into the flesh after death that aint good for the belly.. don't have any hard proof but i'd rather be safe with it..good luck dude an so far u've got alot more info than what i had when i started so u should be set..jus remember take ur time an u haven't won till he stops kickin or your watchin him swim away