night time lure fishing

Whats your view on fishing lures after dark? I have fished numerous times after dark especially in the Onk. with a couple of fish being caught (1 bream measuring 41cm) but most times scoring donuts... I think patience is the key but that can wear pretty blood thin to persist fishing after dark or maybe i just havnt perfected the right technique... any thoughts?? ... cheers snake

not being a lure fisho myself,I would think after dark,you would require 1)a rattle type lure 2)a "scented" lure or 3)a boldly moonlit night for your lures to "stand out" from below........can't be 100% though,but seems logical......I'm sure there's vastly better opinions than mine here though.......

I agree jigsaw, things like slowed down retrieves, heavy action lures for vibrations etc. but would be nice too know how other people fair at night to give me the confidence to persist with different styles and not just give up with the conclusion that fish struggle to see lures at night

Man, i loved cracking those mullies at the mouth on lures, never had the balls too wade out at night for em though, i liked the 80gram+ shiners in the bronze colour back when i fished the mouth all those years ago. The last time i fished the mouth was when that dude drowned lure fishing a few years ago and being witness to that tragedy was enough for me to reasses the risks of lure fishing the mouth! ...cheers snake

has been many a year since I fished the mouth...........never will again,passed it now,too old to wade out........certainly a danger at all times though........although the hook up memories and captures, will last a life time......but so will the "near misses" and "mysterious" slaps on the legs........bronzies??????......if you died there and then,well,so beit......looking back now,plain bloody crazy!

yeah but mullies don't catch themselves!I've found night time luring less productive than daytime in general but you can still catch fish. Mullies obviously nail rubber and hardbaits at night, I've caught heaps of bream at night as well you just have to either with with strongly scented plastics or really loud hardbaits and give them ages to be able to find the lure and eat it.

P4080913.jpg
certainly a danger at all times though........although the hook up memories and captures' date=' will last a life time......but so will the "near misses" and "mysterious" slaps on the legs........bronzies??????......if you died there and then,well,so beit......looking back now,plain bloody crazy![/quote'] great memories of some of the best fishing i have ever experienced and like you, the craziest fishing i have ever done!!!! still cringe remembering the crazy fishos in their waders wading out up too their chests next to me :huh::huh:

P4080913_2011-05-28.jpg

I'm guessing you fish west lakes matt, if yes i reckon the lights make it more productive for lures, dont have that around the Onk just pure darkness and that nagging thought in my head that they just cant see it. Not sure how well fish see at night which sux because night time is when i get a chance too fish due to work commitments and I prefer luring over bait anyday... always use plenty of scent on my SP

Lures still work in the dark, ive caught plenty of fish on them to prove that fact.The differance is it becomes less about colour and more about how much vibration from the lures movement is sent out, how much noise from rattles [too much can be a bad thing though] and scents.In saying that though, lures with a bit of flash on them may reflect moon light and gain the interest of inquisitive fish nearby.