just after info on this reel , as i have the new saltiga 4500 but am interested in this model as its light weight compared to the new 4000 , anyone thats had one and put it through its paces can you tell me what theyre like and how reliable its been for you as im tossing up whether to buy the game 3500 or the new 4000.

I'd get the 3500 game because they're a proven reel plus i think the new saltigas are a rip off and too gimmicky.Saw on the Ray Annes website they have old model 4000's for $699. I'm guessing they're a 4500 body with 4000 size spool.

new saltiga isnt too bad , i own one , agree about the gimmicks though. I have managed to track down the last new saltiga game in the world (as far as i know) i have searched the world for it and everyone is sold out ( apart from a dodgey ebay seller which i wont buy from) , so i think ill grab it quick smart and match it to the saltiga game rod. Does a 4000 spool fit on a 4500 body , i think the 5000 spool fits the 4500.

hey matemy understanding is the 5000 size spool fits on the body of the 6000 saltiga. I assume this is the case as they marketed the old saltiga 5000 as having 30kgs of drag and the old saltiga 4000 as having 10kgs of drag.So i assume the 4000 size spool fits on a 4500 body and a 5000 size spool fits on a 6000 size body.

ay buddydont go the 4000im the same have the new 4500 aswellid perosonally goo down a 1000th ofa size the 4000 isnt much different to the 4500 ther similair in sizing just drags diff really .3500 are good the new ones havent seen them but was thinking about getting one buti used my branzino 3000 for all the things i would used the new 3500 for.i used to own the 3500 game older model.didnt like it bit heavy so bought a branzino 3000 and got 300m of pe2 30lb braid on itid go the 3500 problem is not even bruce has them so u cant even go have a play with them.im so keen to try my 4500 out but dont really have any where to go n try it out so far at the momentif you can get ur hands on the new 2010 3500 it would be way better then the old 3500 game.

the new 3500's are no different to the 4000's they are the exact same reel except the 3500 has a slightly shallower spool , they also both weigh 440 grams where as the game weighs 390 , did you buy the 4500 high speed or normal speed. I also have the branzino , but just want something a bit gutsier , i found with the branzino after a bit of hard abuse they start to not be as nice and smooth as they used to this is because you have a 2500 size body and gearing trying to pump 30 lb , i think ill be getting rid of mine soon. , hence why i want the game.

oh really i was told different but i believe what your sayin is tru.i bought just the 4500 man we wont ever need the 4500H any where here in SA id say and with the standard 4500 u stil can use the same as the 4500H anyway..yeh wel i get wat you syain now if they both way the same i see y bruce only the 4000's.wat about you you have the normal 4500. yeh thats fair enoughthe branzino and older 3500 game both have same drags so if you want the bit mor drag the new saltiga is what your after ay ?

I bought the 4500h just incase!, i was having a chat to brucey today and he said that hes waiting on the 3500 spools to come in , so i say there will be 3500's there soon which will be 4000 bodys with 3500 spools on them. Im umming and erring over this one at the moment the reels are $100 difference in price so thats not the issue , it will basically b a plastics setup and its the weight that kills it on the new saltiga

pretty much , maybe a bit of bottom bashing also , The drag dosent bother me ,ive owned 2 branzinos and both have done good by me but also after a while gotten tired and made all sorts of weird and wonderful noises that daiwa can never seem to figure out what they are etc etc and never fix , one of those noises were a clicking whenn reeling with a bit of load on the line e.g reeling up a snapper sinker. so u owned the game ??? how did it treat u in terms of reliability??

yeh it was nice reel very gutsy and had balls but you could feel it the weight. it was not ever as versatile as i wanted to use it hence y i sold it. like my branzino i use it from snook to snapper to salmon and whiting aswell.with the game i could never use it for whiting and even for salmon it would be fairly heavy which i didnt like for casting lures or even bait fishing.only had it for a month before i got rid of it.

Guest yogi

I have a 3500 Game, find it a fantastic reel, was going to go the Branzino way but wanted something with a bit more balls, landed a 12Kg snapper with it in December with ease, I use it on a Nabura 68, so it makes a nice light and powerfull comboCheersMike

Have you blokes considered one of the smaller stella sw's?Like saltiga's......very very good reels.I'd don't like the gimmicky rubbish daiwa has brought into the new saltigas. These reels were once about strength not gimmicky metal substitutes.Like it or not....with lightness comes weakness.

...brought up points from that link to a tackle shop worker that was getting on my nerves trying to pressure my into buying one. Dude straight out denied it, claimed bias motives for it etc and said 'my grandpa said to me daiwa made the best reels, daiwa still made the best reels' etc. Sometimes it pays to be a bit more open minded. The new ones feel great but in my opinion if you want a workhorse for the money get a catalina, and if you can afford to go better get a stella sw. They might not be as cool or have the same amount of marketing hype but they are a better product no doubt.