tuff tackle reels and rods

considered these a while ago , had a play at the tackle shop , got opinions fron the owner who used one for jigging samsons , in my opinion they feel heavier than a brick , feel like a meat grinder when reeling , and apparantley get sloppy after a few hard outings on the fish , i'd steer clear mate , they are cheap for a reason although i like the idea of the brass internals and no plastic bits , it just dosent outweigh that they are basically a souped up ebay special. Stick with the reel you originally wanted mate , you wont hve a problem with it i sold mine second hand on ebay for close to brand new price this has gotta say something , also the fella at my local tackle shop rekons they have never had 1 saltist come back with a problem yet , another reel you should consider is the daiwa seagate 5000 or 6000 , it has saltiga gearing in it (digigear) and tournament drag system they retail at about 300 and a bit. My mate has the 3500 and has knocked over some serious fish on it without a hitch.

I think like anything it can be both what you know, what you don't know and some good old fashioned luck.I recently received one of those 'Melaluka' Game Rods with roller bearings from eBay for my birthday. Now rather than chortling that it was cheap shit I gave it a good looking over and I am actually well impressed with it's finish. Metal reel seats to boot! :PI did loads of reading up on them once I got it (had never heard of them before) and it's the same. Mixed reaction. Those opposing them never used them, always said 'you get what you pay for', which I would usually tend to agree with.Then I started finding people who did have them and did use them and had no complaints at all. The most common thing that arose was the fact that their reels needed stripping on day 1 and properly greasing up (not affecting me as I got a rod, not reel). Yep, you probably do get what you pay for, and there's a good chance that the cheap ones will die quicker than the more expensive ones, but like anything, look after it and who knows, sometimes there truly are bargains to be had :whistle:

a few lads from adelaide came down once, to fish the rocks with me and ltfish...first time i had seen a tuff tackle reel... certainly looked nice, bait runner in the large size, but it didnt last long.on only its 2nd cast, when trying to wind in, the owner got snagged.. ( happenes often on the stones) fulll lock up of the drag, and walk backwards with rod straight to break the line, but SPROING... the reel let go.took it back to camp, and ltfish and myself pulled it apart for a look see... TOTALLY destroyed, with all the bearings floating free inside, snapped this, snapped that.....sort of made me wont to go out and buy one for sure.... NOT....

...the tuff tackles arent a bait runner?Look allright' date=' feel alright, but have seen a lot of hate on other forums and for the money would be going a spheros with carbontex washers for sure.[/quote']this reel i seen im sure was a bait runner type... jimmy, del and softy were there as well, and i cant think of the lads name... he was jimmies mate... was black with some shiny gold bits.. certainly looked the goods, but failed miserably...

They do make a Baitrunner and yes it is crap, seriously when looking at the tuff tackle stuff until the new range they were absolute rubbish and I know many a charter operator who were given them to try out who promptly gave them back after a few short outings, in saying that I have had a good look at the new sniper and it is not a bad reel. however, compare it with the saltist and it is no better but more expensive. They have a few good rods though and well worth looking at, which one are you looking at.