H/Duty Overhead Reel Advice

Okay so I'm getting back into it and buying myself new gear. I've hooked up with a nice new rod for my river fishing, I got an ABU Garcia 7000 which I need a rod for (maybe another thread :P) and now I'm looking at what I really wanna get my teeth into: Shark Fishing.Since I'm not a massive fan of eating fish (almost choked to death as a child and still can't get over it!) but I absolutely love flake, I am dead set keen to gear up and hopefully get into catching me some for the table.For off the beach I'm looking at a few options already, surf rod and a big spinner, but if and when I get the opportunity to get offshore I really want to get into and overhead.So in short and after a lengthy introduction, can anyone recommend a 'reasonable quality' but very reasonably priced overhead reel that'll get me by for a year or two? The budget is tight and although I've tossed up the idea of those Melaluka or Sambo ones off eBay I'm more inclined to buy something locally. I saw the current BCF catalogue have a few combos, namely a Penn 330GTi O/H Combo for $139 or another $10 gets me a Torsion TLD30. These mean nothing to me so wonder if anyone can shed any light on them or suggest something else (don't really need the rod as yet but if it comes combo then touche)Cheers for the read, look forward to any feedback, really keen on learning all I can about catching me a gummy or something :)

Cheers Twitch, I got an overhead rod for my bday so I am moreso after a reel for the minute. I'll keep this one bookmarked though for when the budget recovers or me cheap overhead I already have dies (no bets on which will be first :P)

It depends on what class of shark you're looking to be able to catch. If you only want to land gummies and school sharks then the Penn 330 might be okay, I used to own a 320 and used it for trolling back in the US, good reel but I never caught anything really big on it. The other reel isn't actually a TLD30, it's a Pflueger 30LD and I can't make any reccomendations on that as I don't know the reel.If you want something that will be capable of landing bigger sharks then look at a Penn Senator if you're on a budget or a Shimano TLD if you can afford a bit more.

The other reel isn't actually a TLD30' date=' it's a Pflueger 30LD and I can't make any reccomendations on that as I don't know the reel.If you want something that will be capable of landing bigger sharks then look at a Penn Senator if you're on a budget or a Shimano TLD if you can afford a bit more.[/quote']Cheers guys, and my bad, I read it wrong. It is yes a Torsion 30LD combo, not TLD30.I'll look around for a Pen Senator....why are fishing websites so bad for searching for stuff??? lol

Out of curiosity I was just looking around for what Senators go for these days, I've had mine forever and it seems I'm a bit out of touch, they're bloody expensive these days, at least here in Australia. That being said, if you find a good deal on a used one don't let the fact that it's used turn you off, the things last forever and need very little maintenance. Otherwise I reckon a TLD is the way to go, they last forever as well and are tough as!

@srick Will keep that in mind mate, could be a goer but won't promise anything till I can deliver... (read as: con the missus into letting me spend more moulah ;))@jewie nice find, can't find bugger all under $240. Really looking for something under $150 if possible.

WoodyThe Penn330 will catch most things, so unless you intend to specifically target the big boys it`s certainlynot a bad reel. Seen a 5ft bronzie brought in on a 320 without too much drama...I am almost tempted to suggest you having a look at the Shimano TR2000LD but, not having owned one - anyone here have shark experience with one of those, boys and girls? [um, I am talking 4-5ft, not 8-9!] :whistle:

Cheers Kon, I am most definitely starting at the smaller end of the Shark scale ;)The first to suggest the Penn 330, I have contemplated that reel myself, but unsure of the brand (as with most the the mo)There's a combo of the 330GTi and a rod for $139 which fits my budget, so I'm pretty keen if anyone else has 'positive' feedback on it :)

Not sure, I'm going to go have a look today. It's this combo from BCF: http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Penn-Overhead-Combo-330GTI.aspx?pid=112525#DescriptionI have a couple of 'cheap' overhead rods as well, so no doubt it'll end up having a go on all of them anywho.I need a lighter one for my ABU 7000 so if this one is lighter than the broomsticks I got I might use the ABU on the rod in this package.

You already have an ABU 7000 dont ya? Get it serviced and some carbon tex drag washers put in it (under $50 at sfs), spool it with 40lb ebay braid and run a nice wind on mono leader and it will get you few toothies. Once the budget is increased and you've got a few sharks under ya belt, decide where to go.

Wasn't sure how much the ABU can handle to be honest. I have a roll of 30lb braid here, was toying with using that or just using 20lb on it as is and getting a lighter snapper rod for the ABU instead.I might look into using the ABU then as the chances of me boat 'sharking' are far less likely and I could use the money on a good surf rod and spinner for the beaches instead.Thanks for the feedback Ale :)

hay i bought a penn senator 9/0 for $200 brand new off eBay the other day waiting on it still but i dunno what its gonna be like hopefully good!

deffinately let us all know jewie. I've been stung too many times on ebay but if you get yourself the reel deal :laugh: would be good to know the seller/store

I've bought tonnes of stuff off eBay, not much in the way of fishing gear but loads of other 'leisures' like camping gear, hiking gear, gaming gear, gadgets and more. Just look for the members with big stores and if possible I always try and shop AU. That said, I bought a tonne of photography gear from Honk Kong, had no issues with it and save myself nearly $370 in comparison to local shopping prices.Actually I just won a bid on a cheap-ass Snapper rod for $5.55....yep, it oodles with quality already :P

Wasn't sure how much the ABU can handle to be honest. I have a roll of 30lb braid here' date=' was toying with using that or just using 20lb on it as is and getting a lighter snapper rod for the ABU instead.I might look into using the ABU then as the chances of me boat 'sharking' are far less likely and I could use the money on a good surf rod and spinner for the beaches instead.Thanks for the feedback Ale :)[/quote']If it was me I would use the Abu for your beach reel, one of the best reels for the surf ever made and imho overheads are much better for fishing with bait. The Abu will also cast better and further than a big, heavy spinning reel and paired with a decent rod you will have a setup that will work well for salmon, mullies and sharks off the sand or rocks.

The thought has also crossed my mind, although I am not sure how well I'll go with overrun on casting....guess I better get some practice in :PI do believe the ABU has a mechanical brake, but I have yet to have a play with it till I have the rod to go with it.So many options for a noob! Haha!