As some of you now know, I'm keen to get myself some Shark action and with no boat available I'll more than likely be off the beaches.So I need to buy some waders (and tonnes of other kit :P) but I have never owned a pair nor really know much about them (aside from keeping you dry).Is there anything 'technical' I guess about waders or brands I should avoid and why? BCF has a pair of 'Shakespear' bagged with a surf rod, bait bucket bag and wading bucket for like $79. Is this a good deal? I've looked around at other wader prices and this pack seems a real bargain...Thoughts or feedback? (Always appreciated :))

Hi Woody.I dont do a lot of beach fishing, but I really dont know if you need to go to the extent of using waders for it, though I guess if you plan on getting in the water to gaff or rope a shark at this time of year it might be a different story :side:

a surf rod' date=' bait bucket bag and wading bucket for like $79. Is this a good deal? I've looked around at other wader prices and this pack seems a real bargain...Thoughts or feedback? [/quote']I suspect the surf combo is either crappy or the waders are crappy, or else both items are mediocre in quality ?never having bought waders, I cant really comment otherwise

I have a pair of those cheapo surf combo waders, they do the job fine, rod and reel is still alive too :lol:Depending what you want to spend, look at some Horne waders, awesome quality. Personally i'd just get the cheap ones, jumping fences and stuff destroys them pretty quick....Also if you find the soles hard on the feet, you can always buy some of those cushioned shoe liners and slip them in.

im on my 4th set of waders... can only advise STAY AWAY FROM THE CHEAPIES...they are cheap for a reason is what ive found.. im not going to bag others brands but will say im more than happy with my HORNES waders.. i paid from memory, $179 and are custom made to my size.. ( read lardarse :laugh: )mine cop a lot of abuse on the rocks, and havnt let me down yet, (cept for the original dimple boots which gained a tiny split in the wole meaning a wet sock)the boots on mine were changed under warrenty, and now i have thicker tougher chem boots to handle the sharp rocks..the starps are strong, ( unlike some others which ive had break)and they are made in south australia..you can buy a pair off the rack, or size yourself up and get the custom made set which i did...with waders, its best to go a couple of sizes too big, as when wearing in winter, i like to rug up as best i can for the 4am rock hops...if you havn't wore waders before, you will soon find, if your going in too deep, the incredible water pressure will squeeze your legs so hard,thats after a while, you will have to go in shallow to allow some blood back into them... , but small price to pay for keeping warm and dry....

Hey Woody,I went to BCF on Friday to have a look at the 'package offer' that BCF had advertised only to find out that they were sold out. But they are still honoring part of the deal. I managed to pick up my waders for $39.95. Which in my opinion is a bargain. I used them yesterday and they worked fine. So, that may be an option for you.

Sorry Boyo, got your post in before I seen it :)Yeah $39.95 is a decent bargain, worth even a few goes or one season for getting me started. I believe according to the ACCC, if they advertise it and run out of stock before closing date they do have to 'raincheck' and honour the entire deal still....

I think you're right on the raincheck part Woody. All they said to me was that they were sold out of the packs but I could still pick up the waders for $39.95. I wasn't going to say no, and I needed them for yesterday anyway. I know what Rocknev says about the pressure now, :laugh: Had to come back in a couple of times. But, man, they were good to have.

Horne Waders by a mileIve had mine for 20yrs and still as good as the day i bought themWore them every day when i had to survey the St Kilda Boardwalk many moons ago, but now its just fishingI was at the factory the other day after i broke a clip after i jammed it in the car doorReplaced free of charge :clap: They are located in Wingfield

Vote for Hornes as well, after much deliberation & trying out various cheaper brands ended up with a pair of these. No one offered any waist waders versions off the shelf either so went past there wingfield factory & got measured up for a pair. Great friendly people & the price was well worth it. Quality & materials are way better than the cheap brands & as rocknev mentioned the boots are really comfortable too. Other plus is you can pick & choose from 3 different types of boots that you want on your waders.

Only get hornes if ya wear em heaps! otherwise there is no point getting em! i got that surf combo last year and for 80 bucks its a bargain! i only got the rod as a backup though but the waders i have used many times and they are still keeping me dry nothing wrong with em!

keep an eye on ebay i have seen horne waders on there for under a 100 bucks for ones in really good condition. there is also a seller on there that is selling them new for around $125.00 by memory and have been told by a close mate that the seller is Rope and Marine. maybe worth a trip down to port adelaide for a look.

otherwise check out the seal bay waders, these still display the A.S horne name on the box and i couldn't see horne putting their name to complete rubbish. i have seen these at that little tackle shop at Smithfield for about $50 bucks. im also trying to save up for a pair and have considered a pair of these.just trying to help

Something to remember is to be very careful on a beach with big swell. If you get knocked down you'll be doin well to get back up and I don't think even thorpy could swim an a pair of waders filled with water. Thats were the neoprene ones are a better idea I think. I've used my wetsuit on a few big swell days fishing off beaches. There's another option for ya if you have one.

ive also been told the neoprene are pretty good... nice and warm they say

Yes rocknev,as you suggest,they are very good........for me they were "too good"....too hot for me! :sun: As I don't really feel the cold that much (until I get wet),I had to revert back to the Hornes with just shorts and socks.I now know what a pheasant under glass feels like :P

hahaha, thing i noticed with waders is , when wearing shorts, THEY TEND TO RIP THE HAIRS OUT FOR YOUR LEGS WHEN YOUR SWEATY hahaha, so i wear footy socks, and pull them over up above my knees... hahaha, it also stops them from getting bunched up in the boot.

otherwise check out the seal bay waders' date=' these still display the A.S horne name on the box and i couldn't see horne putting their name to complete rubbish. i have seen these at that little tackle shop at Smithfield for about $50 bucks. im also trying to save up for a pair and have considered a pair of these.just trying to help[/quote']Those seal bay waders didn't even last one year, absolutely destroyed them, have the proper hornes waders now with the better blunderstone chem something boots. SAVE UP for them the hornes are much much better.
hahaha' date=' thing i noticed with waders is , when wearing shorts, THEY TEND TO RIP THE HAIRS OUT FOR YOUR LEGS WHEN YOUR SWEATY hahaha, so i wear footy socks, and pull them over up above my knees... hahaha, it also stops them from getting bunched up in the boot.[/quote']I also wear footy socks but tuck my track pants into them, had severe blistering with the first pair of waders i ever bought on the weld between the boot and wader. Always do it like that now.