light snapper combos

so i just been over to ards and was fishing with the combo i use to use for bream. 3-6 kg team daiwa zero and a daiwa tierra 2500. i have 15lb sunline on it. now i cuaght a 45cm snapper and it gave a bit of curry but i handled it no worries.my mate saw the bend in the rod and heard the tierra zzzzzzing with the line coming off and thought it was alright. im wondering what you blokes out there reckon the ultimate LIGHT snapper combo is. cuase hes keen as mustard now at getting a light combo and seeing how far we can take it. they got ards down pat for snapper so come the season we should be pushing some limits. lets hear all ur suggestions. cheap expensive and inbetween.cheers grego.

I've landed 5 snapper over 90cm (ranging 7-9kg) on my little ci4 2500 with 8lb on a 2-4kg stick but for snapper that size it just took too long to bring the fish in. The reel holds about 260m of 8lb and I never got close to getting spooled but when the fish did finally come in they were totally knackered and were hard to release well. Haha I still have only ever managed 2 legal snapper under the 65cm mark but for pannies it is great! The hardest part once you'd tired the fish out was trying to lift them through the water without pulling drag...If you intend on keeping the fish I can't see any reason why you couldn't do 6lb....My favourite at the moment is a 7'6" 5-8kg tcurve with a ci4 4000 (20lb). The rod is a bit long for the boat but it handles them with ease (biggest caught on this combo being just over 13kg).I want to invest in another combo being a ci4 3000 with 15lb on a tcurve 3-6kg 7ft rod so I can just keep the 2500 rigged for live bait collection. Should offer a little more power but still be light enough to have a bit of fun :)At the end of the day I suppose it depends on how big the fish will be at the time. If you're targetting big ones I wouldn't go below a 2-4kg rod as the tip was almost touching the butt the whole fight with all my fish and a 2500 will give you plenty of line capacity. So it's just deciding between 6lb or 8lb... 6lb is totally feasible (all of this remembering to take into account the depth, bottom structure, fish size etc.)Good luck dude! Let us know how light you end up going :)

for me...7'2" Snapper raider matched with a 2500 Sol (packs a whopping 7kg of drag for a 2500) spooled with 10lb sunline. Pulled in a rnage of fish and some decent rays nearly maxing out the drag. I've got a 4000 freams kix there originally purchased for use on this rod for snapper but generally end up with the sol on.The rods got the guts to handle the biggest of snapper whilst the reel will take a flogging all day long on smaller snapper and give a great account of itself on the big boys. Best thing for me...it's the same setup I use for chucking lures from the beach for sambos then take the reel off and match to a 1-3kg rod for bream, redfin, creek work etc....light as a feather!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i like my t-curve tournament 2-5kg. oldie but a goldie.used many reels on it, aspire 2500/8lb suffix was great for SP work, landed a 30lb'er on this.also used it with CI4 stradic 2500 15lb also great, got a new Rareranium 2500 coming can't wait to try that, maybe run 15lb on my G.Loomis Mossy back 7-12lb rated i think(these are awesome, one of the best i've used, longer in the butt than most light rods)cheersBigAsh

My thrown in the deep end ' date=' now favorite light tackle snapper combo is a 5'6" azzagai 2-4 kilo rod matched with a 2000 series daiwa with 10lb braid, handles snaps easily, with the biggest landed at 10 kilos. This is the rod I used to use for whiting, is now my fav snapper rod.cheers snapdragin[/quote']Bit off topic here Didnt know they made them that light !My heavier ones seem liek a VERY tough rod, especially given the price :clap:

I have caught snaps on ridiculously light gear but the lightest outfit I like to use is a base model okuma baitrunner small one sorry cant remember models on a generic 3 / 4kg whiting rod ( rod does have bit of guts in the base), I have caught several 16 kg and a mate got 1 x 18kg on it. I do run 10kg braid on it but, reel was twisting sideways at times but no dramas handled em easyFishing deepish water light outfit helps out on the back. Not for sport. That little Okuma $100.00 reel outlasted about 5 ABU overheads. ABU'S where beefed up... special washers bla bla bla serviced regularly none of em lasted a full snap season.That $100.00 reel went 5 seasons, still works killa fully sik mate :laugh: Bought the new one bout $100 again from ray and annes just because I liked the old one so much.Onya Brucester

My fave shallow water light combo is an extended wilson FMT72G blank built out to just over 7ft with my penn slammer 260 and 6lb fireline. Used to do really well here on reds up to 10kgs in water about 2 - 2.5 metres deep. Average run of fish were around the 4 - 7kg mark. or if you fished in 4m of water the average dropped down to pannies up to about 3kg. All good fun now.Lately I've been having fun using a penn 955 with 10lb braid on an extended sabre 140. This is a top whiting rod and good fun on light tackle reds.