Aniseed Oil - What are your thoughts

I havnt, but me old Mum (81 years old) always puts a bit of deap heat on her wrist, and rubs the bait on it.She does ok too ;)I think deap heat has anniseed in it.

just don't go touching the cream and then scratching ya cods between a bite :-X Yobbo you should add that to the tips section...It's genious if it works. :)

No mate! Don't take offence to the clowning around, coz it's all intended as harmless fun.I'm sure when someone can provide ya with informed input (such as yobbo and freddyboy) they'll step forward with their thoughts!I heard many many moons ago about aniseed oil as an attractant, but because I've never tried it, I can't comment, although, it was only a few weeks back I overheard a conversation about this subject.One fisherman mentioned that an old greek bloke told him about the secret of a few drops of aniseed oil added to the bait. The other suggested that he doesn't add it to his bait, but he will rub a few drops into his hands to rid them of any foreign smells (petrol, cigarettes, sunscreen, etc) which may put the fish off.If I can add my own thoughts. I'd suggest 3 containers of cockles. One with aniseed, one with fish oil, and one with nothing.Try fishing all three in the same session, and see which gets the most hits. I'd be interested to hear the results myself!

No offence taken ;) I quite like a bit of that talk.I have fished right next to a mate on my boat using aniseed cockles and he had plain ones and I had about 15 bites to his nothing.I have also soaked my cock les in fish oil and had great results too. :PDamage

I always carry a small bottle of aniseed oil with me for putting a few drops into a dozen or more cockles once opened and ready, now I'm not gonna say for sure if they work or not, but when things are quiet, it has got the KG's into action for me, then again if there are no fish in the area then nothing is going to work. A few drops of aniseed in your Gar berley works and as was said, if your a smoker or use sunscreen use aniseed insted of tuna oil to get rid of the smells from your hands.

We used to add Aniseed oil to boiled pearl barley for coarse fishing in UK, 1960's, however it was banned from "Match" events because it was to effective. I have never tried it here. or anywhere else since.An excellent attractant is available every time that you catch a squid! Save the ink. Squid ink is not only a "Smoke screen" It is also a very good attractant and makes the fish hang around while the squid makes its getaway. Some commercial sellers of bait add it to tube worms and the like. Ever wondered what that poncy perfumy smell is when you open a tub of worms? Works very well with cockles too.RogerG

• 2 weeks later...

If you treat the squid gently, with a landing net they seldom drop their ink. Take them out of the net, point away from self and gently squeeze until the squid squirts it water jet reserves out then place in ice slurry so that squid goes to sleep. When you pull its head/guts/tentacles off the ink sac is usually still intact. place whole sac with others in a jar of sea water and store in bait fridge or, even better, use fresh from the squid.RogerG

When you pull its head/guts/tentacles off the ink sac is usually still intact. place whole sac with others in a jar of sea water and store in bait fridge or, even better, use fresh from the squid.

And let's not forget squid ink is a great addition to ya berley, and an attractant to dip ya bails, soft plastics and lures into as well.It doesn't make a bad sauce for ya pasta too!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have used aniseed oil a couple of times in burley and it worked well on kgs for me.The supermarkets dont stock it because of the alcohol content but I found some in a health food shop (certainly didnt go there for the food :icon_lol:) It is bloody dear tho, cost me about $22 for a small medicine bottle!!Rocket 102 "aniseed pellets" ? Where do i get them? How much?

I have used aniseed oil a couple of times in burley and it worked well on kgs for me.The supermarkets dont stock it because of the alcohol content but I found some in a health food shop (certainly didnt go there for the food :icon_lol:) It is bloody dear tho, cost me about $22 for a small medicine bottle!!Rocket 102 "aniseed pellets" ? Where do i get them? How much?

BIG W stock aniseed oil in there fishing section, and ive seen the aniseed pellets there before as well... trouble is the nearest big w to me is 80kms away in another town.