Just wondering what some of you guys have found the best shark baits to be? From the sounds of things alot of you have quite a few years of experience behind you and I figured you would have had one bait that you swear by etc...I myself go by snook tails, eagle ray chunks or a whole sea mullet under my balloons. In that order too {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

anything bloody and oily i reckon works fine, although i've actually only caught sharks on salmon fillets! :lol: Have heard about ppl using carp aswell, and also when it rains heavy during the summer and the torrens starts to flow hard the odd carp ect gets washed over the wall and out to sea, so i've heard of sharks gathering at the end of the mouth there for an easy feed on anything being swept out...

• 4 weeks later...

I might go out when the water clears up, and stock pile some snook for the warmer months. I have used squid heads, salmon fillets, whole salmon trout, Tommies and pillys, but the best would have to be slimy mackeral for me.

Funny you say that. I just got 95 slimeys out the port and I reckon I might use them for something other than eagley bait. thanks! {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

iv'e found most scale fish to be good shark bait if they are live. dead baits my choice in order would be: bonito, slimies, snook, squid and salmon. the biggest shark i've caught was on a big squid stuffed with flathead fillets and tuna oil. i don't recommend using ray as bait because they are one of the slow breeding, long living fish. one trick i use is to get a large suringe (without the point) and pump the fish up the arse with tuna oil. or just get a small pep bottle, fill it with tuna oil and attach it to your balloon. cheers. lc