Evergreen EGI Squid Jigs

Cheers spotter, is there a compleat angler at Mt barker i found a listing for it but cant get much more are you tied up with that store or are you just wallaroo and moonta thats much closer to home but if its differant next time were see family at wallaroo will organise some jags and blades and vibes and call in.

indeed they do... i was over that way for a week and comming back from wallaroo we decided to stay at Ards.. the wind was blowing pretty hard in our face at Ards so took the 30min drive to wallaroo... Spoke to the boys and put us onto a spot in the marina that would be out of the wind and good for some fish... funny enough got there and got 30 big mullet to 40cm in an hour and a bit... :)

Cheers spotter' date=' is there a compleat angler at Mt barker i found a listing for it but cant get much more are you tied up with that store or are you just wallaroo and moonta thats much closer to home but if its differant next time were see family at wallaroo will organise some jags and blades and vibes and call in.[/quote']PRM, the Complete Angler at Mt Barker is actually the Camping store on Cameron street, better deals and more stock at Moonta and Wallaroo stores though IMO. ;)
Evergreen EGI Squid Jigs have just arrived
I only use squid jigs so these SQUID SQUID jigs must be extra special and catch doubble the squid :woohoo:
Egi does not mean squid, Japanese for squid is "Ika" and jig is "Chi-gu"It is the name given to the invention 400 years ago of the lure designed to catch squid, at no stage does the word egi translate to squid or jig. This is why the word for jigging with egi is 'egingu' or jig with egi.

With the UV light and all.....is that the same type of thing that makes the Shimano Keimura so good?

Kiemura has been around for a long time, Shimano just branded it.The UV element works well on egi because squid can only see 2 colors, black and white, however, they can see 3 of the 6 UV spectrum's that we can not so the use of UV Cloths is used to make the egi more desirable to the squid, looking at some of the other evergreen egi you will actually see different shapes and patterns on the egi rather than a glow, things that we can not see but things that the squid can see, gives it a 3rd dimension so to speak.
I only use squid jigs so these SQUID SQUID jigs must be extra special and catch doubble the squid :woohoo:
Egi does not mean squid' date=' Japanese for squid is "Ika" and jig is "Chi-gu"It is the name given to the invention 400 years ago of the lure designed to catch squid' date=' at no stage does the word egi translate to squid or jig. This is why the word for jigging with egi is 'egingu' or jig with egi.[/quote'']
OK,thanks for that Ecofreak, so the lure designed to catch squid is no longer a jig but an egi :unsure: I thought they have been refered to as squid jigs for a long time? should we now go into the shops and ask for an egi to jig with? :laugh: so the topic should have read ' evergreen egi's for jigging for squid'Totally argree Nanman ;) it's like the tackle industry are just trying to cash in on a new word they discovered :whistle: it's like finding the latin word for cod and marketing your lures,rods and reels as morua fishing tackle.
Egi does not mean squid' date=' Japanese for squid is "Ika" and jig is "Chi-gu"It is the name given to the invention 400 years ago of the lure designed to catch squid' date=' at no stage does the word egi translate to squid or jig. This is why the word for jigging with egi is 'egingu' or jig with egi.[/quote'']
OK,thanks for that Ecofreak, so the lure designed to catch squid is no longer a jig but an egi :unsure: I thought they have been refered to as squid jigs for a long time? should we now go into the shops and ask for an egi to jig with? :laugh: so the topic should have read ' evergreen egi's for jigging for squid'Totally argree Nanman ;) it's like the tackle industry are just trying to cash in on a new word they discovered :whistle: it's like finding the latin word for cod and marketing your lures,rods and reels as morua fishing tackle.
Sadly the industry cashed in on the new term years ago, when they arrived on our shores by calling them squid jigs, they also used Australia as the dumping ground for the size 2.5 that is designed for catching Naory squid in Japan (the ones we call Californian squid in the box) while the rest of the world used size 3 to 4.5 to catch Calamari Squid or Sepiotuethis species. They have always been known as egi every where in the world, it was our tackle industry that changed it to suit, they can not be cashing in on something new when it is 400 years old, surely not. Fact is the bastardization by the Australian Tackle industry of many products was the cashing in, as we as angler become educated about all things fishing the tackle industry needs to back pedal so now they use the original term and we all assume its new. You are spot on in your description of egi to jig for squid with because there are also egi to target octopus and egi to float and chain link with, they are all different.the only way to look at it in comparrison is do you go into a tackle shop and ask for a samson fish jig or do you ask for a knife jig that will suit jigging for samson fish. The egi market in Australia is miniscule and 99% of Australian anglers would not be able to tell one egi from another because as Australian anglers we know better than every one else, even better than those who invented it. Sad fact of aussie angling attitude.
Sadly the industry cashed in on the new term years ago, when they arrived on our shores by calling them squid jigs, they also used Australia as the dumping ground for the size 2.5 that is designed for catching Naory squid in Japan (the ones we call Californian squid in the box) while the rest of the world used size 3 to 4.5 to catch Calamari Squid or Sepiotuethis species. They have always been known as egi every where in the world, it was our tackle industry that changed it to suit, they can not be cashing in on something new when it is 400 years old, surely not. Fact is the bastardization by the Australian Tackle industry of many products was the cashing in, as we as angler become educated about all things fishing the tackle industry needs to back pedal so now they use the original term and we all assume its new. You are spot on in your description of egi to jig for squid with because there are also egi to target octopus and egi to float and chain link with, they are all different.the only way to look at it in comparrison is do you go into a tackle shop and ask for a samson fish jig or do you ask for a knife jig that will suit jigging for samson fish. The egi market in Australia is miniscule and 99% of Australian anglers would not be able to tell one egi from another because as Australian anglers we know better than every one else, even better than those who invented it. Sad fact of aussie angling attitude.
Interesting stuff there mate :) I know egi is much older than our civilisation but as I mentioned made very new to the aus market, and the aus tackle industry is now grasping at something old to make it new if that makes sense :unsure: don't know if it's the aussie angling attitude or just the shite the industry distributes to the masses through marketing that influences peoples perception of the norm?Personally i'm no expert on squid or egi and couldn't tell the difference between them apart from weight and shiny colours :laugh: , I do like chewing on squid occasionally but find very little sport in catching them :)cheers