Boat Fishing for Mulloway in SA

firstly its a tough game, many people go thirty trips between fish and thats allnighters at that. that out the way, ten to 15kilo gear is adaquit. like heavy snapper gear is the go. as for spots the best way to get hookups is to fish the bridges up river. you can get the bigs and schoolies there. its the best place to fish for them. then when you get into them you can upgrade to the harder spots where you only get biggies. at these spots theres alot of time between fish but you will have to find them 8). hope this helps goodluck mate.

Howdy Rob, Wekk welcome to strike and hook for starters, I'll try and help you best I can but I'm sure that alot of other people will provide more help.I'd start of with getting a 4000 size spin reel or a nice little over head, with a 5-6klg rod. Try and get some nice 20lb. Braid but if you cant 6kg mono is fine, get some liveys from garden island (mullet and trumpeters are my favorite), have a look for bridges and deep wholes where there is some nice structre, this is usually where mulloway hang out, the Birkenhead seems to work well for most. The rig I use is a running ball sinker weighted to suit the conditions, with a swivel running down to about 1 metre of 40-60lb. leader (I found the Jinkia Leader to be of good use), then what I use is 2 snelled 6/0s about a Pillie length apart. The way I hook up my livies is either two very lightly through the back or one through the nose of the fish and one lightly through the back. Remember these are only the techniques I use so you dont have to follow them word for word as I'm sure there will be plenty of input in, put the time in and persist as mulloway are a very elusive fish, dont expect to get a monster on the first time as many people who have fished for mulloway for years still haven't gotten a monster and GOOD LUCK.If you need a hands on help at all come and see me in the shop if you like, I'll show you some other stuff aswell.