Bridle Rigging For Mullies

Although I havent spent much time live-baiting for mullies, I also agree (funny that lol) that when using circles, reels should always be in gear and at strike drag!But now that anglers are catching on to the fact that any live baits can be fished in strike drag, the fish aint going to have a chance. I bet there was a lot of dropped fish previously that are now going to be hooked solidly and end up in the boat.I second that - Great thread!And Jack this is how I live bait for big snapps too.Just one 6/0-8/0 through the top lip with a slimey or tommy!I also use a 63s as my live baiting rod

I suppose if you use your reel in looked drag it depends on your technique and how observant you are . Do you have some slack in your line , lots of slack or do you have it tight ? My 91 cm Mully had a light nibble not even enough to use the free drag , then come back and nailed my bait when i had the reel locked . Good luck any way you fish .

I suppose if you use your reel in looked drag it depends on your technique and how observant you are . Do you have some slack in your line ' date=' lots of slack or do you have it tight ? My 91 cm Mully had a light nibble not even enough to use the free drag , then come back and nailed my bait when i had the reel locked . Good luck any way you fish .[/quote']When Im snapper fishing Im using a 3 to 4 oz lead to hold the livie in the one spot on the bottom. I want my livie to not be able to travel far, ie sends out distress signals that a snapper can hone in on quickly find the source and nail it. So basicly the weight of the sinker and the tension of the line to the rod tip is enough to set the hooks or load the rod up when the fish engulfs it and turns its head.Its because of that, that if I was going to live bait for mullies I would pin it to the bottom with a fair amount of lead. These days with fluro carbon traces to your hooks I dont think the snapper lead would spook a big mullie thats about to down a big livie.Im thinking that at that stage the snapper or mullie has decided yes or no if its going to eat it.Just my thoughts. So basically if it gets the circle in its mouth at all its going to get pinned under load.

yeah agreed, flurocarbon leader, one CIRCLE hook through the top lip, reel set with a really tight drag.Have had st's sitting in the slop on surf beaches for hours on end and that's pretty well the worst scenario for a bait fish - current - surf - lots of movement and they're fine when you pull them in....Except when they get hit! ;)