landbased kingies

Landbased kingfish is going to be my focus from now on,i'm keen to put in the hours and purely focus on catching kingies from the rocks on baits and lures. I will be summoning up the same passion I used on my mulloway fishing all those years ago which took pure dedication, perserverence, heaps of fishing and shitloads of patience and any spare time and money i had to finally catch quality big fish on a regular basis which made it all worthwhile and extremely satisfying. But to get too that point i needed the help and wisdom of successfull mulloway fisherman to kick start my long journey to success by just sharing some usefull tips and possible areas to consider trying without giving away to much of course and now if any SH members are willing to help me get started or even join me i would greatly appreciate any advise your willing to share with me regarding landbased kingfish. Info on rods and reels is not required but times of year, tides, well known kingfish rockfishing areas local or country and basic rigs and terminal tackle needed to land kingies would be a huge help indeed and truly appreciated....with thanks, snake

Ive never caught one but the places i have seen them are at the cape jervis boat ramp' date=' second valley jetty and the point lowly ramp, All seen in the summer, you probably allready knew those spots though[/quote'] tell you the truth fowlers bay jetty and in a boat at rapid heads are the only time i've seen a kingie so thats good info for me cheers
Guest Daniel

I think most yorkes jetties have kings at some point in summer. We caught six one morning at pt huges all on lures plus lost more.Walleroo and Giles also have them swell as most deep rock points on yorkes south coast.

think i might concentrate catching one this summer from the"ledge" or Myponga rocks first up

no offence intended but you would be waisting your time and cash at myponga, thats if your talking big fish. they need currents steep drop offs and rocky terrain to hunt. ib be trying rapid head where i know a few have been caught before and my step dad sees them there often when diving. you get big ones there. and if you dont wanna try there pt. giles half way along is an awsm kingie jetty. good luck landing one there, but.My best tip for land based kingies is to take along a bucket of sand or gravel. throw it side armed into the water every few mins as they will come to your area if they hear this. like a scared bait school sound. they are so inquisitive and love comotion. it works.... id only use live squid for them as bait but some people use big gar or live trouties, goodluck mate.

no offense taken,your right, rapid heads is a well known kingie spot but im not too sure whether its a landbased option, isnt rapid head just one big section of cliff edge over 100mtrs high?! pretty sure its boat only access... not quite sure about dismissing places like myponga rocks, second valley, carrackalinga, pretty well any stretch of coastline where rocks meets deep water close to home . kingies are pelagic so their constantly on the move so my theory regarding the best place to start my mission is,no.1-the kingies are definatly out there because people have seen em!! I've seen em!!! .. no.2 a few months ago i was watching a show on tv showing dudes spearfishing kingies which they had attracted to the boat in huge numbers with nothing more than a mirrored type flasher tied a few meters under the boat, BRILLIANT idea!! I have never seen that used before and believe thats the key to my success of the rocks, just pick the best looking spot throw a couple of flashers out under a buoy to attract them and a berley pot with pellets for extra activity and keep trying until i catch one i guess, not to sure how many people have targeted kingies from the rocks down south but i friggen what to catch one, and i will, i will indeed!!....... i agree, live squid and gar i reckon

howdy snake,another tip for the kings mate is they don't mind a dead bait off the bottom.if you know there around a particular area in numbers and don't mind fishing into the night.fish a little bit of berely and lightly weighted baits or unweighted if conditions allow,particularly fresh squid strips,pillies,something that will move around a bit.goodluck with the quest,cheers

Snake. I know Pt Turton def shows up some decent fish regularly- gotta know the times though, I've seen many Kingies roaming that jetty- but never fished overly hard for em- they chase lures as well if you get them while actively feeding. I'm happy to give you that info if you're keen for it, And I'd be equally as keen to join you in targeting this species Land Based this summer- I'm happy to travel as far as I gotta to crack this species.

ive had big big fish take my baits at rapid head land based. not fully at the head but have trecked to the western most spot from past rapid bay jetty and fished off the rocks there. the fish busted me off. the flasher idea is defin the go. its leathal for spearo's. my step dad does it with great success.... and try sand in bucket trick its also very very good option to stir up fish. helps them get angry enough to take baits when they think twice.

I would reckon you'd have buckleys of landing anything but the smallest of farm escapee rats from a jetty. Even a 10kg rat would have you around a jetty pylon in the blkink of an eye.Really heavy line might give you a chance but then they probably wouldn't bite.Very powerful and dirty fish.

have to agree with nanman boys,dirty fighters mr king :laugh: .years ago on the old rapid bay jetty we use to see a six foot plus model with barnacles growing on his back lazily swimming around with lines and lures hanging out of his gob :woohoo: .also seen a guy blow a good king off there,fella gaffed the line,had the fish belly up,heartbreak :( ,he had the fish hooked deep we reckon which can make a difference.we had an excited school taking baits and lures there one morning and we didn't land a fish,bust offs galore :laugh: .we were smashing lures and whole little squids on top of the water to excite them but on surf gear we didn't have a chance :laugh: .wish i knew then what i know now,but definately not saying it can't be done,just gotta weigh up your options at the time and go for broke.if i was targeting them landbased i would be using gt gear basically and fish brutal with locked drags :laugh: .i also did have them biting off a well known jetty once into the night and must of been busted off no less than a dozen times,and on the crack of dawn after being blown to bits all night long hooked one which ran out to see only to have the hooks pull :angry: hope this helps any of you fellas.cheers

I guess its possible but usually there's way too much leverage from the top of the jetty down to the water to have any hope of stopping a king making it around the pylons if thats where he's decided he wants to go.With all the pylons in farting distance it would have to be the stupidist kingfish in the world to allow itself to be caught off a jetty.Maybe if it was hooked say 200 metres from the jetty might be a chance.

I guess its possible but usually there's way too much leverage from the top of the jetty down to the water to have any hope of stopping a king making it around the pylons if thats where he's decided he wants to go.With all the pylons in farting distance it would have to be the stupidist kingfish in the world to allow itself to be caught off a jetty.Maybe if it was hooked say 200 metres from the jetty might be a chance.

agree with you nanman, ive always got taken straight around pilons, know idea how he kept it away from the pylons, might have to ask him about it.FSw

Even catching a 5 pound trevally off a jetty using 20 pound line is next to impossible. They just go around the pylon almost every time.Lost count of the big trevally that have wrapped me around the coffin bay jetty pylons. Have never even got close to landing a 5 pounder off that jetty. Should go down there with my saltiga and 120lb braid to teach the little bastards a lesson!They'd be too smart to bite that heavy a line though.

Guest Daniel

A mate of mine landed 90cm model from pt huges so it can be done. Give nothing and get the angles right, I've seen a 200kg shark pulled back from under pylons so nothings impossible.And anyway who said getting worked by a big rampaging king isn't any fun :)

A mate of mine landed 90cm model from pt huges so it can be done. Give nothing and get the angles right' date=' I've seen a 200kg shark pulled back from under pylons so nothings impossible.And anyway who said getting worked by a big rampaging king isn't any fun :)[/quote']Sharks fight like pussys compared to kingfish though (except makos of course!)You're right though nothing is impossible.