landbased kingies

• 11 months later...
Guest horses4courses
Is that land based or from boats' date=' also how big is big?[/quote']that'd be land based from the jetty.......not sure on weights of kingfish,but the fella's I've seen there over the years have been in the 4 foot to 5 foot length............
Guest horses4courses

the key to landing big fish on a jetty is a longer rod 10-12 foot! it gives you more leverage to keep them away from the polls :)

Leverage "works both ways".......if you have the rod butt in a rod bucket around your waist,the pivot point (fulcrum) is roughly 18 inches below your hands.........in effect,an 18 inch lever...........on the other hand,the fish has a 120 / 144 inch lever,easily able to exert more force...........also given the fact that he's 20 plus feet below you,gives a much bigger arc to work through.I agree that you might be able to "steer an exhausted / played out fish" around the pylons more easily with a longer rod,but leverage.........don't subscribe to that point of view,sorry.Just ask any avid beach fisho about how leverage works against you when you hook a big bronzie on an 8144 or better..........what's the name of that chiropractor again? :ohmy:
  • 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have a crack at the Ledge (the locals call it 'poofters perch')at Fowlers Bay. They are always there. Up to 50kg buggers. They grab your bait and head straight around the point and bust you off, mostly. Chuck out anything live. The problems with catching Kingies where they congregate/school up is they are not feeding. They just go there to hang out so you need something special to get them to bite. Two different ones caught from the boat but within casting distance of the ledge, only a day apart.

king crop.jpg

IMG_2004.JPG

• 1 year later...

Big bump on this thread, any help on the topic would be appreciated. Also can you catch them all year round? I understand summer is perfect but I'm still hearing of them getting pulled up at rapid bay jetty so they must still be around?

I'm thinking down south as I'm metro Adelaide. 

• 1 month later...
On 27/05/2023 at 7:49 PM, joeleo87 said:

Big bump on this thread, any help on the topic would be appreciated. Also can you catch them all year round? I understand summer is perfect but I'm still hearing of them getting pulled up at rapid bay jetty so they must still be around?

I'm thinking down south as I'm metro Adelaide. 

All year round mate. Rapid Bay is probably your best option. Get a livey out either on a float or on the bottom. Then get the biggest stick bait you can find and cast and cast and cast. If they are there they will check out the lure and if they don't take it will draw them to your live bait. It works believe or not. Here is one of mine from Westlakes.

IMG_20230518_152044.jpg