Biggest Port River Bream Capture

I've fished the Port River since About seven years old and pretty regularly since coming back to SA in 2001.Any Bream I catch over 35cm I consider to be a trophy and get a bit happy about. My PB is from the Port and is 42cm. I've nudged 40 a couple times since, but I've seen some horses out and about, lost a few and it's the Bream that is the guts of my fishing. I've had a bit of a HB and Soft Plastics period, but now am mainly back to bait. I've never eaten one, it's just the challenge I love.Anyway, bait or lure, what's your best, or the best you've seen B)

Hi JackMy PB, though unmeasured and no photo either :blush: :whistle: would have gone the best part of 50cms by my estimation. Caught in the middle of the Port River channel, on slack water in the middle of the day.I'd been drifting frogmouths out and snaring a few ST's while the tide ran. After it stopped, I went to pull in one line and found it was snagged on the bottom. After a few jerks it came free, but with a very sluggihly wobbling something on the end :huh: Last thing I expected was a stonker Bream :woohoo:

My own best is 43cm and I measure to the fork, so that would be somewhere around 46 tip to tail.My fishing partner Lazylure pulled an old bluelip out from under the Birkinhead Breidge on a practice fish which would have blown my own best away. Maybe he'll post a pic at some stage.Here's a half decent one which came from the Accolade Wharf and would have just touched 40cm tip to tail (apologies for my crap photography):PC150025.JPG

my best is around 40 cm, from birkenhead. had about a 1.5 cm bit of tube worm left on the hook when i reeled my bait in and just happen to stop it for a second about 1m from the shore, watched the fish come out of nowhere and smash it. Yep lotta skill went into catching that fish :lol:

I have never caught a bream over 38cm, but a very long time ago (70s), I and two mates wittnessed one well over sixty caught on a live mullet meant for mullaway off the torrens island bridge. When we first saw it we thought it was a snapper, but once on the bridge realised that it was a bream. It was so deep and long that it wouldnt fit in the old guys bucket, a white twenty ltr job, so he took it down on the bank and let it go. There were several others watching and it nearly caused a fight when he let it go, truly amazing catch and release. I have never seen one like it since.snapdragin

20 1/4" (about 51-52cm) when fishing the hot water at the power station 39-40 years ago on a freshly pumper tubie. Nearly lost it-went like a steam train and I thought i had a mully and was waiting for it to ease up before the second run lol Released it as Dad always told us to let the big rare buggers go as theyre the breeders and so anything over 15-16" (approx 45cm) was released

• 1 month later...

i to have seen them well over the fifty mark in the port and let me tell all of you who have not yet seen one they do look like snapper at that size.Use to catch a pair on a regular basis at the old troubridge slip way till i abused a asian for killing them and not releasing them .Then the old wreck down from the quarantine station seen a pair pulled up well over the fifty mark.Always big monsters up the creeks There are still plenty around but please catch &release as these fish are all older than most of us catching them :fishing::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::boat:B) ......

Use to catch a pair on a regular basis at the old troubridge slip way till i abused a asian for killing them and not releasing them .

It is perfectly legal for ANYONE to keep any fish should it be of size.I too release ALL my Bream and promote C&R on the species, but none of us have the right to abuse others who are following the law and within their legal rights.

It's funny people saying big bream can look like snapper. Last year I was fishing for bream in the port out the front of the new port development when a genuine pink backed, blue finned, 80cm snapper cruised straight up from the depths circled the pylon infront of me the back down to the depths.I flicked my little squidgy right infront of it's nose but no interest. To be honest I was just grateful to witness one that far up the port.And in saying that I've seen 2 eagle rays at the same place. I wonder what else could sneak up there :)