I leave skin on fillets to be smoked as it holds the meat together when turning.Marinade for around one hour in a good cleanskin merlot or shiraz. Nothing that you would not drinkyourself!Remove fillets and drain, pressing lightly with several layers of kitchen paper to remove excess moisture.Smear lightly with Olive oil. lay flesh down in smoker and smoke with hardwood sawdust, I use a mix of red and white mallee. Turn after about twenty minutes and smoke until done. Times depend on your smoker.RogerG

Hi! JewieI tend to use reds on fish with darker meat. Also, I use the darker olive oil rather than extra virgin like most people.a trick I picked up in Portugal many years ago. It enhances the flavour better in my opinion and the merlot compliments the mallee flavor better than a white.CheersRoger

How long will it keep once smoked?

SunovabeachI smoke meat and fish quite often, either in a Weber or in the familiar stainless steel smoking box that all the tackle shops sell—so it's alway hot smoking rather than cold smoking. I knew cold smoking was used before refrigeration to preserve meat and fish, but wasn't sure if hot smoking could also be used for preserving. Your question prompted me to have a search around on the net for the answer and I found this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_(food)#PreservationThe simple (and safe) answer seems to be if the meat or fish isn't also preserved by salting or some other method, treat smoked fish and meat as you would any other cooked fish and meat.Roger I presume your recipe is for Australian Salmon rather than Atlantic Salmon?