whiting on poppers?

Hi all dont ussually come to the dark side of the forum but i was watching a program called i fsh or something and these guys were catching sand whiting on poppers now i dont know if there was a bit of photgraphic trickery but has anyone ele tried this and does it work on sa whiting or is it only dumb nsw onescrispy :laugh:

Hi all well ok who the f..... is mrballs ,also what size popper would you use ,i looked on the net and there are many different sizes ,i was going to get some from ebay around the 50mm size dont know if that would be right but they arent exaxtly huge fish any suggestions?crispy :)

Hi all well ok who the f..... is mrballs ' date='also what size popper would you use ,i looked on the net and there are many different sizes ,i was going to get some from ebay around the 50mm size dont know if that would be right but they arent exaxtly huge fish any suggestions?crispy :)[/quote']mrballs :lol: Sportsfishing Scene will give you a hand in selecting the correct one or ring them if you live too far away, forget ebay they can't help you.Ian,Trent and Darren have been very helpfull over the last 2 years, I have learnt so much about the lastest gear on the market and there is no bull :c to go with it B) Thanks guys

I have had success with whiting and even gar! on ecogear PX45F and rebel Pop-R's in the smaller size. these are two of the most popular and successful top water baits for whiting. Great spots to try are where tidal creek drain onto flats- the whiting school here and grab food draining out of creeks so are really switched on to grabbing floating prey. great fun!this one came on a px45:Posted Image

As Breamreaper says. That is spot on advice!!I went out last year and waded for miles with a backpack with two rods strapped to it. It was a hot as day so a good hat and pair of crocs kept me cool on my adventure. I had some luck with clickers and worms, then when I reckon I had it sussed, I started flicking a BASSDAY CRYSTAL POPPER. This yfw on poppers thing really works, but just like breamreaper says, I had my best success where little channels and riverlets run out. I think the fish are in real hunting mode In these areas and in knee high water they give a hell of a surface strike and a tough little battle :)It was a big effort that day and I was stuffed. I hope to find a good little spot to do this from the tinnie this year. I was way out at Port Gawler that day by the way ;)

Hi jack just wonder if you wotrked the sandbar along some metro beaches' date=' on a summers day if there might be some luck along the edges ect ,hows the new rig goin get out on the weekend?crispy :)[/quote']They sure work all right. Helps to have the whiting concentrated in numbers and in really shallow water.You can catch bag limits of yellowfin whiting on tiny poppers and surface walkers fairly easily at Cowell. The harbour is loaded with Yellowfin.I've had most success on tiny divers that kick up puffs of sand.
Hi jack just wonder if you wotrked the sandbar along some metro beaches' date=' on a summers day if there might be some luck along the edges ect ,hows the new rig goin get out on the weekend?crispy :)[/quote']I love yfw and had done okay with worms over a couple of years and got obsessed last spring with trying to get yfw on lures (kind of like the less successful Mulloway bender I've been on since mid summer :laugh: ). I tried my usual yf spots, but I didn't have popper success, probably cos its a bit deep. I did start getting the gulp worms working though :)I tried the local beaches (metro) heaps, but did pretty crap... Not one on a popper, did get heaps of tommies though.The only success I had was as Nanman said, on proper tidal flats locating concentrations of fish in very skinny water. It was a blast, but there again maybe I just got lucky ;)Tinnie is doing very well, went str8 out first two saturdays back 2 back and caught stuff all :laugh::laugh::laugh: She's resting up this weekend for a big service and back to Saturday morning launches :). Be nice to land a few fish though so thanks for bringing it up pal :P Ps your rigs looking pretty sharp these days... I've been checking your updates regularly :)

Hi all well went to bcf as i was out and about couldnt get a bass day crystal popper so got this one instead and will get one later 002_2011-08-20.JPG,still got a long way to go jack with the boat ,am looking at puting in a side /centre consul just got to build it first will put a casting seat up front on a removable pole ,hi/lo setup still have to make cover for battery box ,fitted a seond bilge pump to the other side of spine and a few other things most of all the paintjob which will be done when the weather gets a bit warmer getting a 703 controler from qld for 280.00 and once the consul is made will work out cable lengths plus various other things like conversion kits ect all money cheers crispy

• 4 months later...
As Breamreaper says. That is spot on advice!!I went out last year and waded for miles with a backpack with two rods strapped to it. It was a hot as day so a good hat and pair of crocs kept me cool on my adventure. I had some luck with clickers and worms' date=' then when I reckon I had it sussed, I started flicking a BASSDAY CRYSTAL POPPER. This yfw on poppers thing really works, but just like breamreaper says, I had my best success where little channels and riverlets run out. I think the fish are in real hunting mode In these areas and in knee high water they give a hell of a surface strike and a tough little battle :)It was a big effort that day and I was stuffed. I hope to find a good little spot to do this from the tinnie this year. I was way out at Port Gawler that day by the way ;)[/quote']Go the Crystal popper, even at 25 bucks each they're a bargain!ST's go nuts for them and I've even snagged mullet when targeting YFW's ;)
  • 2 weeks later...

breambo25 wrote:

Great pic by the way. I think TT is trying to get his hands on one so we can get the same sorts of pics.

Do you mean an underwater system. Because if so I have already got it works a treat!!TT
Oh cool!Can't wait to use it then. Don't know if we will be able to dunk it in the pat though? :vomit:
  • 5 months later...

I can also vouch for the sugarpen. I had success in a few spots on the YP on incoming tides last summer and autumn. I found it best to locate schools of whiting with bait and then break out the stick baits. The Ecogear PX55 also works, with by catch of tommies and mullet common if they are about. I have not had the same success with poppers that I have had with stick baits, but it's what works for you. All hits have come by keeping the lure moving,stopping it seems to put the whiting off and they swim away. These lures worked a treat on flathead also when I fished northern NSW whilst on holidays, so would be worth a crack here where there's lizzards in shallow water.