phone providers and fishing

Guys, in the market for a phone plan and wondering what providers your using and what's your coverage like. My work phone was with Telstra and I always had service. I will now be paying my wn bills so shopping around. I'm seeing vodaphone / 3 have the best value for money plans, but heard from a few non fisho's that the coverage and data rates leave lots to be desired. I live metro, and usually fish local and and down south (gulf). Any body care to share their experience? I also intend on using the phone as a chart plotter with the navionics ap and know a few others do the same.thanx guys :)

Sounds like you got headhunted for a killa new job :woohoo: I was lucky enough to get a new one too... One that ll see me up in Darwin a bit to hopefully wet a line ;)Anyway off topic a bit...I have been with Optus for everything for a while and they keep promising new towers this extra coverage that... I like optus but the coverage is poor. The old man is with telstra and if my mrs wants me when I'm out in the gulf she will call his phone... I was down at the national park (stenhouse bay) couple of Easters back and had zero coverage the whole time, yet other people walked around yakking on their phones. I live only part way up the hill and lose service at the shops and in the corner of my garden :S As much as I've had my blues with them in the past, if I move providers (when I can be bothered) it'll be to telstra, I reckon they would match most plans $$$ wise. Last thing... Navionics app is great, never lost gps signal at sea (gulf) and the charts are identical to the expensive cards for sounders (just 2D only). You get satellite overlay though, waypoints, etc etc.

Voda's coverage is better than 3..but I think holding an Antenna on your roof would give you better coverage around adelaide than 3 does. Vodaphone is still lacking in the southern coastal and metro area'sYou can check most telco's websites for maps of where they guarentee coverage. That way if you go with that carrier and you do not get it in the area's you were expecting you have an out clause with your contract..the communications ombudsman are pretty on top of thatPersonnally as soon as my contracts up Ill be move to and staying with Telstra, you get what you pay for.

Thanx jack, start at new joint next Monday, 6 kms from home ,same $$$$ but with 20 hrs less a week. Means I can join you on more sat morn trips. I hear yas about phones for safety, but 90% of my fishing is done a couple kms from shore and Telstra have been ace,but now since Il be paying the bills I have to research. Not many on vodaphone aye?Thanx boys

i take tours across the Nullarbor for a living. we use Telstra. as its the only carrier that works in regional townships. but even then from ceduna-Norseman there is only really coverage at Eucla/Border Villiage. we also carry satalite phones to cover these black spots. as mentioned Telstra for the coverage.. but the price comes with the service. best coverage worse customer service/price.

Im with Vodafone and coverage is shocking!!!Most towns on Yorkes i am lucky to get any....Over on Eyre, anything further then 10km's from Pt Lincoln no reception, unless i drive around in circles trying to find a slight bit of signal.When my plan runs out in December i will be changing to Telstra, i don't use my phone a whole lot... so doubt ill run over any caps. lets just hope there billing system doesn't screw me over!

i am with optus and i have found it reasonable i usually get coverage out on the water from memory i had reception out at grange tyre reef (8ks ish) and clarries (15ks ish) norma (6ks ish)and there plans are alot better than telstra. i just refuse to pay there rediculous prices and there service is horrible, know too many people (parents, partner) with big problems with bills and to get anywhere you have to threaten them with the ombudsman otherwise they just try and scam you.and vod has some coverage but struggles alot!

Im with 3, have been for 6 years now & am yet to come across any issues with coverage. I have noticed everyone has said how good Telstra is I have been told that both Telstra & 3 use the same phone toweras so where you get testra coverage youll get 3 coverage little bit of reading info on why they have the same towers: Telstra wanted the 3 g network so 3 sold it to them & also managed to get the use of telstras towers included in the deal. I have fished & travelled in a lot of remote places & am yet to lose coverage. Plus 3 have the best deals & up to date phone technology as i was with Telstra before the swap to 3 & was only because of lack of phones & plans that I swapped. Hope that helped a bit in your decision anything else let me know, cheers Davo.

My missus recently had some problems at vodafone. Phone reception was terrible, service terrible. 3 months of the runabout and my missus eventually got out of her plan. Vodafone and 3 are merging, but that merge hasnt gone ahead yet.I,m on the otherhand, am with 3. Their planes are reasonable and I find if I am out of 3's range then I switch to roaming on telstras network. My bill is the same every month so I dont think i get charged for it. Best of both worlds. But it wont last long as like i said 3 and vodafone are merging.In my opinion you get what you pay for. Ive always had good customer service from telstra and if you get more coverage then you should pay more. Bigger network = more costs therefore more expensive plans.

Out in the country we had no choice but to use Telstra 3G. Their plans were always a bit poo, but we had too put up with it. They have lifted their game a fair bit with some of the new plans they have out now. Optus have definitely put a few towers up in country locations, and are advertising on the local TV now, but Im not sure if the system is all up and running.Cant help you with city coverage,as Ive always been Telstra 3G

Thanxs heaps guys!!! :) I had to make a decision and last night ordered a SIM thruVirgin!!! They use the optus network and for $29/month I get $450 worth of calls/sms, 500MB of data and $10 back for the first 10mnths. Internet offer only, month to month contract, no breaking fees.Hope I dont regret it :) I know telstra is the go covergare wise, but in the past had major greif with their billing and I just couldnt justfy the extra cost. The above plan wouldve been around $59-69 month thru them with a new phone which I dont need.Happy medium I hope, Il report back to this thread for others referenceOnce again, cheers all B)

I was with 3 and their coverage is shocking since they decided to merge with vodafone :angry: (moved from vodafone to get better coverage and still ended up with them... :S ). I work over on the EP everynow again and struggle to get coverage for 3 in some parts of lincoln (forget tumby bay lol). 3 is cheap though and pretty good value for metro use. I ended up ordering a cheap telstra prepaid next G phone for $50 on the net and then put $60 worth of credit on it (it lasts 12 months as I have chosen the long life option). Its a pain having two phones but it means the if you lose your phone to the sea it's not a huge problem :pinch: as it is when you are on a plan. Next G is the best coverage for sea work but it should never replace the radio or a satphone if you have access to one ;)

• 2 weeks later...

im with virgin aswell. where i am i generally get better reception than telstra.i have reception pretty much the whole way through yorkes, even out to troubridge and wedge islands.will test it come october when we head out to neptune though lolall in all none of them are perfect, you can guarantee if you really need phone service ya aint gunna get it lolbut yeah im happy with them. ive actually been thinkin of buyin a cheapy prepaid telecom job just to leave in the car when we are away somewhere.