Oliver white conquest & Alvey info wanted

I have had my grandads rods & reels handed down to me & one of them I could do w ith a little help with, its an Oliver white conquest rod with Alvey reel & I know nothing about either the rod or reel & would like to know-age, specification of rod & reel & value as I havent decided if ill keep it yet or not. Any & all info is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance Davo.

2011-08-2415.14.09.jpg

nfi on age at this stage. but with the enlarged casting loop above the reel id say the 70s. it would be worth more to a collector than a fisherman.. but yes.. they are a tough reel with 1:1 ratios they are affectionately known as the hand winches of the fishing world ;) not all that rare, as many of our grand fathers have them hanging around. they are still producing 650C's to this day.. but that is probably the first model hence the #1. gonna go check out my... 4-5 of them... and check my models ;)

Brenton, Rock Nev are also Alvey fishers might be able to shed some light as well.id say a 70's combo. worth having a fish with.. ever cast an alvey??? i set softy up on a decent eagle ray at my shack using my alvey and 14' rod.. nothing like seeing a full grown adult just laying back full weight on the rod/reel with nothing but the heels of his feet on the ground. rod at full bend and reel holding strong. addiction... began growing that day.

you could say i like them... but ive also been very very lucky.. my step father " lent me a 14' rod and the 650c 3/7 when i was about 12..(20yrs ago) ive been fishing it since. the rod needs a full rub down and re varnish. but considering this set up was his for a long time before he lent it to me. and still going strong.i bought the 650 C 1/6 and 651 C 5/7 from Brenton, and.. scored another 14' rod :D last year. have caught rays snapper and small sharks. my Brother in law gave me the 650 BC last year for christmas which i then caught a 5' shark on the next day.and the 650 A was given to me from my father last year around my birthday.

For what it's worthOliver used to be a sporting goods brand (in fact I think they were the first to market Totem Tennis) and I think they dabbled in fishing gear for a while.I use an Alvey 650c off the beach. Easy as pie to use and the best thing is if you drop in the sand/water - no big deal - easy to clean and simple to maintain.Cheers