Guest Butters

Mate that is an absolute cracker :oI reckon my uncles pond used to consist of about 12 of those suckers ;DGoodwork

Was your uncles pond next door to Springfield Nuclear Power Plant.. ;DThat thing is huge!!!!

WOW!!I thought my 40cm from the Torrens was good, but this takes the cake, big time!!It looks just like a carp with orange pigment instead of brown or yellow(y)!!Did u catch that szopen? If so on what?

Yep, caught it myself.We were fishing for tilapia in a dam around Guangzhou in southern China.Using premixed dough for bait, coarse fishing with a tiny float at night.
  • 2 weeks later...

They are Carp Yak :)

Yep, they all are a type of carp. But to me that first fish looks similar to many Koi; a coloured desendant of a common carp (head shape, downtuned mouth, elongated backbone), Cals' fish appears to be a clolour-hybrid of a genuine goldfish; a (sub)species bred from Crucian carp (small pointed mouth, high curved back, overall squatty apperance.Scientifically, and regardless of the local status that first fish is not a GOLDFISH propper. Goldfish propper can only be yellow-bronze-brown and are small. Hybrid goldfish-crucians look like Cals, while once again that first fish looks like a Carp with orange pigment, their Japanese name is Koi. What do u think Cal?

G"day Yak, yes that first fish is definately a Koi or Koi/Goldfish hybrid, the original goldfish has an upturned mouth, not a downturned mouth with barbels as that first fish, also if you look at my fish it has triangular pectorials as opposed to scopzens pointy more angular ones.The triangular are from an original goldfish, pointy more angular equals carp I"m afraid.Also if you look at the first fish it has a forked tail, whereas the one i caught has a more rounded tail , the rounded tail is goldfish/forked =carp.There is no doubt in my mind the first fish is a Koi or Koi goldfish hybrid.Yes Yak , you are correct.Doesnt take anything away from the magnificent capture from scopzen, that fish would be worth a packet, I saw on a website of some guy paying a ridiculous [50,000+] for a big Koi Carp.Cheers 8)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Crocka, that reserve at Hallett Cove is called Lucretia. I've taken my grandson there for Carp, there are some Thumpers in there but plagued with what I think are stunted carp, all in that 1/2 to 3/4 lb class. There was an old fella from Adelaide who new someone with a bakery and when he visited his daughter in Hallett he would feed the Carp with the stale bread, some sight,the water would literally boil on the rare occasions when I witnessed the frenzy. I caught a genuine goldfish about a pound weight there with the most magnificent trailing tail and fins, bright orange and in lovely condition. I rushed it home to my fish pond but was miffed to find it stone dead the next morning, covered with ants. Silly bugga jumped clean out of the pond. Unfortunately also in the days before I had a digi camera, so no pics. I've also seen smaller goldies on the rare occasions when the water partially clears in summer.Cheers, Tony.

• 3 months later...

There are quite a few of them in Andrews Farm, caught a few smaller ones in there before.Cheers 8)

hey i go to the school behind that lake... and there aint no lake there anymore..they drained it foor the wetlands project and as the water was slowly drained out all the fish followed the water...when it was gone there hundreds of lumps in the bottom that my mate reckoned were dead fish..