Circle Hooks on Whiting

Thought I would share my experience, first time using circles on Whiting.Bought some size 2 and size 4 Mustad Demon light gauge circle hooks.Tied up my own paternosters with some 15lb fluorocarbon and the size 4s. Making sure the hooks were snelled the right way round. So the leader sort of continues the circle. Fishing 10lb braid. (Could go lighter, unsure if we were going to fish deep or not)Finally found a school of whiting off St. Kilda Yesterday afternoon.I can say, I definitely see the benefits of these hooks.The bite to hook up ratio was great. Just didn't strike and used just a slow small lift of the rod.Not a single fish was lost. All were nicely hooked in the lips, one in the corner of the jaw.Ended up with about 8 fish caught but they were all 29-30cm :pinch: , including a very small silver whiting.Will definitely be using them from now on. So far so good.

I use Black Magic KL 1/0's, makes for a beautiful site when whiting fishing with two rods & sitting there watching both rods load up at the same time. Work excellent when the fish are biting really timidly too & a bonus is the hooks never seem to get snagged up either.

Was that a Personal Choice TBONE or recommended by Adventure Bound? ;)
I use Black Magic KL 1/0's' date=' makes for a beautiful site when whiting fishing with two rods & sitting there watching both rods load up at the same time. Work excellent when the fish are biting really timidly too & a bonus is the hooks never seem to get snagged up either.[/quote'] Was that a Personal Choice TBONE or recommended by Adventure Bound? ;)
Was a bit of both really, was previously using the red No.6 Owner Mutu Light Circles but ran out & for the life of me could not track anymore down locally with ease. The only shop I was getting them from closed up, seen the BM KL's on sale in one particular shop & thought why not. :) Unfortunately they seem to be a hard hook to locate too, went past the shop I got them from the other day actually & the rack was clean. :huh:
  • 4 weeks later...
With circles' date=' does it matter much if you use braid v mono?[/quote']Just dont use a braid dropper witha a mono leader or the other way round JM, you'll prob have all kinds of issues :pinch: I found some Owner circles recently in a size 10, apparently designed for a lip hook set, but havent really had a chance to test them out yet.

Found this"There is a specific way to use circle hooks to maximise the hook-up rate. Anglers wanting to try circles need to be aware that they are best used in conjunction with braided fishing lines. Monofilament lines have too much stretch, which doesn’t allow the hook to be set correctly. You will find best success when using braided lines as they have no stretch and enable the hook to be set the instant the bait is completely swallowed."

Hi GuysI've talked a bit about this elsewherehttp://www.strikehook.com/forum/43-yorke-peninsula/177132-ardrossan-friday-7102011?limit=15&start=15AS I mentioned, Owner Mutu light circle size 4 for a number of years & as has already been mentioned, not easy to source ATM. I use them on a single dropper paternoster (getting the 2nd hook in my hand was enough to stop me doing that again), main line 6lb braid with a 20lb mono leader. I tie dropper loop in the 20lb mono and then loop over a swivel with 10lb mono trace to hook and the 10lb helps with the abrasive mouths. Fuoro would certainly help with the abrasion resistance and probably be a little stiffer helping stop tangles.CheersWahoo

I'm yet to be convinced - my first 3 KGW using circles had swallowed the whole lot. Long shanks would have been an easier recovery of the hook' date=' but the circles required some serious surgery.....[/quote']That's pretty much what i wanted to avoid.Currently using a running rig with a #6 long shank with 8lb trilene and 8lb leader, works ok just wanted to avoid the gut hooks.

Each to his own. I'm yet to experience a gut hooked KGW on a circle but I'm not trying to convert anyone. I have noticed that the toadys are less inclined to gut hooking with the circles which has saved me a lot of re-rigging!!!. I use a pair of long nosed surgical forceps for unhooking which helps with the extreme turn required to get the things out!!Wahoo

Found this"There is a specific way to use circle hooks to maximise the hook-up rate. Anglers wanting to try circles need to be aware that they are best used in conjunction with braided fishing lines. Monofilament lines have too much stretch' date=' which doesn’t allow the hook to be set correctly. You will find best success when using braided lines as they have no stretch and enable the hook to be set the instant the bait is completely swallowed."[/quote']I suspect they mean just for the mainline JM :huh: The length of mono used in a trace is going to be very small ?----------------------------------------------------------------------@ Wahoo, do you think your hook up rate is better overall ?While the idea of using circles soudns great, my only worry about using them on KG is the width of the gape.With whiting having a long thin mouth, it makes me wonder how well they can get this style of hook in if theye'r only timidly picking at a bait, as opposed to aggresiveley attacking it :huh: :unsure:Seems a J hook is maybe better suited overall :huh::unsure:

Each to his own. I'm yet to experience a gut hooked KGW on a circle but I'm not trying to convert anyone. I have noticed that the toadys are less inclined to gut hooking with the circles which has saved me a lot of re-rigging!!!. I use a pair of long nosed surgical forceps for unhooking which helps with the extreme turn required to get the things out!!Wahoo

Agree with you totally on this, the only thing i have ever gut hooked with a circle was a recent 9kg Doggie. :lol::lol::lol: :woohoo:And must say that my hookup rate with circles has now converted me. ;) :woohoo:

Hi AFFWhile the idea of using circles soudns great, my only worry about using them on KG is the width of the gape. Are you sure you're not talking about kahl type hooks which have an enormous gape. The light circles I'm talking about have a gape not much different to a J hook of the same size but a shorter shank. I've tried the kahl type circle with a spectacular lack of success. They are good on flatties and ruggers though!!Wahoo

Hi AFFRe: Hook up rates. I'd have to say that they're better than before' date=' but a lot of that's because I'm having to put the rod down a lot which helps the hooks work the way they're suppose to. I also tend to keep the bait on the move which also helps.Wahoo[/quote']Take heed to what is said, this man knows what he is talking about. :clap::clap::clap: :woohoo:
Hi AFFRe: Hook up rates. I'd have to say that they're better than before' date=' but a lot of that's because I'm having to put the rod down a lot which helps the hooks work the way they're suppose to. I also tend to keep the bait on the move which also helps.Wahoo[/quote']Take heed to what is said' date=' this man knows what he is talking about. :clap::clap::clap: :woohoo:[/quote']Yep.It can be hard to get out of the habit of either holding the rod, or hitting at the first sign of a bite. Patience and timinmg are the key, holding the rod or otherwise.