How to play a dodge tide

Shocking dodge on Saturday!!!!What's the best way tackle a dodge tide??? I guess everyone has there own ideas on this, as I kinda do, so I thought it might be a topic worth re visiting. I'm thinking maybe leave the boat home and try westlakes, or cross my fingers and see if I can find some wave action at the end of outer harbor breakwalls. There's also the mulloway idea that many say a dodge is good for.Ideas ???

what exactly is a dodge tide?

Dodge tideThis is a local South Australian term for a neap tide with minimal rise and fall over the course of a day or two. While very 'flat' neaps occur in a number of locations worldwide, the term 'dodge' is used only in South Australia. Professor Sir Robert Chapman, C.M.G., writing in the Official Yearbook of the Commonwealth of Australia of 1938, stated"At spring tides the range, due to the semi-diurnal waves, is 2(M2 + S2), and at neaps, if the two are equal, or nearly equal, they practically neutralize one another and cause no rise nor fall at all. This is what happens at Port Adelaide where at this period the recording gauge shows frequently little or nothing in the way of tide, in some cases the level of the water remaining almost constant for a whole day; in other cases one small tide occurs during the day. On each side of this tide is markedly irregular both as regards time and height, and the apparent impossibility of saying when the tide will be at this particular period has presumably gained for it its name 'The Dodger'."hope this helps. ;)B)

Cracker topic Jack.I was looking back over my fishing diaries the other week for something unrelated and noticed the mullies seem to play better on the dodge, or maybe just coincidence :whistle: :whistle: It may be the way to go I reckon, let us know what you end up doing and how you go, I might have to give my own theory a crack, I will let you know.Dame

Ill generally fish deeper grounds with a bit more flow!Ill be fishing saturday however won't get on the water till later in the arvo and fish the stronger run out tide. The earlier incoming 'dodge' tide looks horrid and i would be far more confident later for sure. Save me wasting most the day otherwise.

The lead up to a dodge is an excellent time to fish, allows you to fish for longer in areas where the water rips through. Some fish are more active with less flow (ie: Mullies and Large snapper).Excellent snapper fishing on the dodge on deep drops, I have a few spots up my sleave and like to give them a crack during the slow tides - can normally pay off.

A thread from last year bloke, read thru it, I landed a 85cm red on a day that burley went straight to the bottom, and I was in shallow water as well. Not that Im all that experienced, but Ive caught fish when I shouldnt have and missed out when they've been a "certain"http://www.strikehook.com/forum/22-saltwater-fishing/135601-is-it-worth-fishing-for-snapper-with-the-dodge?limit=15&start=30

How does the dodge affect the Pat

Well as the Pat isn't affected by tide, it probably wouldn't influence the water level too much. However, the gates tend to be opened at each high/low tide during the day to let fresh sea water flow in so it may disrupt the fish's normal feeding habits. The airport end would still be fine because the bridge constructors have a big wall running through the middle of the river part anyway.

Salmon trout didn't mind the dodge this morning. 3 of us scored about half a bag each and 4or five used as live bait.Moved late morning to a schooling mully spot and spent about an hour for zip.... Maybe Rickster & just me faired better on the mulloway, but lovely morning non the less.... Nice to say g'day to a couple hooksters out in the port :)Posted ImagePosted Image

Salmon trout didn't mind the dodge this morning. 3 of us scored about half a bag each and 4or five used as live bait.Moved late morning to a schooling mully spot and spent about an hour for zip.... Maybe Rickster & just me faired better on the mulloway' date=' but lovely morning non the less.... Nice to say g'day to a couple hooksters out in the port :)[/quote']Cheers Jack, backatcha. Looks like you did well on the STs.I'll let Rick tell the story, although i will let it slip that at another spot we moved too, we're 99.9% sure Rickster got busted off by a horse of a Mully.

Salmon trout didn't mind the dodge this morning. 3 of us scored about half a bag each and 4or five used as live bait.Moved late morning to a schooling mully spot and spent about an hour for zip.... Maybe Rickster & just me faired better on the mulloway' date=' but lovely morning non the less.... Nice to say g'day to a couple hooksters out in the port :)[img']http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/supernorthbank/e976b349.jpg[/img]Posted Image

Well done Jack and Co, likewise was good to say gooday, as Just_Me stated i reckon i got busted off which i think would have been my PB and a fish of a lifetime. I won't dwell on it but will just get out there and give it another shot some time, so close yet so far away after finally getting it's head turned and bringing it towards the boat and putting plenty of hurt onto it he won the day by busting off about 5 mtrs from the boat. :blush:;) :woohoo:

Mate, if you ever rock up to a fishing spot and see me there, you know your doin something wrong! ;) :PI see you've taken to fishing in disguise these days hey... Solid looking boat JustMe is cruising about in.... And as far as the big jewie, if anyone can get back on the HORSE ( ;) ) it's you bud. BTW I hear there's a lot of snapper biting local if you get a shot in the next week or so :)

Mate' date=' if you ever rock up to a fishing spot and see me there, you know your doin something wrong! ;) :PI see you've taken to fishing in disguise these days hey... Solid looking boat JustMe is cruising about in.... And as far as the big jewie, if anyone can get back on the HORSE ( ;) ) it's you bud. BTW I hear there's a lot of snapper biting local if you get a shot in the next week or so :)[/quote']Thanks mate, JM actually got a snapps today, he was stoked as this was the first one to be landed on his boat, he was so happy that when he slapped me on the back with glee that i thought i was going in the drink. :lol::lol::lol: His boat is pretty solid and i actually feel like a giant in it compared to the BC. :blush::lol::lol::lol: :woohoo: Keep at the Jews they are there and your time will come. ;):clap: :woohoo:
  • 2 years later...

I spent the weekend near Port Victoria on the beach (with the boat). I caught one 40cm + KGW on the drift, picked up the school on the sounder and thought it would be on. Not to be, it was too late in the day and the tide had dropped. Squid were brilliant though. Dolphins and one lonely seal herded a school into the little bay we were camped at and I was catching them at my feet. At one stage the dolphins were tossing them through the air with a head shake, just for shits and giggles I suppose. The water was that shallow that gulls were diving and picking them off.