dog sharks(pt jacksons)

was down at the local ramp last night with a mate when a boat comes in and on board they had 8 doggies. my mate goes on to tell them how they are a protected species and should do the right thing and return them to the water which didnt happen. is it just me or do some people just have no idea about doing the right thing even if they have been told. we told them they are absolute crap to eat and ya better of eating ya boots or a stone but these guys just didnt give 2 hoots why on earth would ya want to keep them is beyond me these 3 guys were well "aged" and had been around the block a few times so youd think they would have known these creatures are a waste of time and wonder what would happen if the fisheries had got onto them aswellmy rant overcheers all bigtime

What makes you think they are a protected species?http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recreational_fishing/protected_speciesDoggies are not on the list and are internationally in a 'least concern' status so I'm pretty certain that they are not protected and can be kept if you want at any size for whatever reason.Why you would want to is another question since they are tough as old boots and no good to eat by all reports.The quote was "The best way to eat a Pt Jackson shark is to cut it up, put two pebbles in a pot, wait till the pebbles go soft, throw away the shark and eat the pebbles" Their hides might make interesting leather and souvenirs though but that's all I would think they are good for.

Yep, had this discussion on here (or maybe the other forum) about 5 years ago and we had it confirmed with Fisheries they definitely aren't protected.I was speaking to an old timer at Beachport once who swore by eating them..... He did say there was a lot of prep work involved, but he said he had been eating them for years....