ive been using tinned cat food as a berley from the rocks and the boat..... el cheapo brand at 76 cents from woolies works ok in the boat....punch a few holes in it and either drop over the side or chuck the whole tin in the pot...noticed when given a shake the tommies and gar come from nowhere to nail it....and i just happen to have some gents out the back and they get nailed as well...the rocks im not so sure about....because all i do is punch holes top and bottom and throw the whole tin (which is steel and will rust away iin no time) i dont know where its going or to what is going too....ive tried diffent flavours,but tuna seems to work best from the rocks....it flows out better with the tide.....avoid the jelly meat sorts or the pillies....they dont come out of the can...i can remember throwing a can at high tide,and walking out in waders a few hrs later on a run out and picking the can up and it was still full....anyone else use it? last trip from the rocks i also bought some cheap ass dry cat food....2 bucks for 2 kg.(shaped like little tiny fish hahaha)... throwing handfulls at a time out and seems to float a good distance before sinking....so i might have to soak some in tuna or aniseed oil and see what happens...

anyone else use it?

I use it and I know a number of people who also use it. We mince our fish frames with leftover bait like pilchards, cockles and squid in an old food mincer and then top it up with cat food and pellets before freezing it in blocks. I agree about using the tuna based versions, but have never thought about using the dry food. I might try adding some to my mix before freezing it next time.

iv used it down at saltcreek a couple of times brings in the salmon much quiker than just frowing out mushed pillies.if u crab as well they lov the stuff(pillie flavor) i think the catfood also work on gummies, rays,mullies from past expierainces using it! im going to try it in summer for bronzies should go well with some tuna oil to make a mega slik line then have bits of tuna flavored cat food slowly sinking out the bak of the boat!cheersbrooksey

Bruce Harris used to say that he always kept a coupla cans on his boat as an emergency burley supply.

Now that's a top idea, but for in my boat rather than the boot of my car. A couple of times recently I've run out of burley in the middle of a session and watched the fish disappear at the same rate as my burley disappeared. It's so obvious I can't believe it didn't occur to me :-\
Guest dabilda

I used to use tins of Kit-E-Kat years ago, don't know if it's still available but it worked a treat. Half a dozen holes drilled in the can then freeze. I always used to make handles for them though, tie a rope to them so the cans came home with me, just a bit of wire bent up and put in like on a paint tin.

I used to use tins of Kit-E-Kat years ago, don't know if it's still available but it worked a treat. Half a dozen holes drilled in the can then freeze. I always used to make handles for them though, tie a rope to them so the cans came home with me, just a bit of wire bent up and put in like on a paint tin.

ow...kit-E-kat...theres a blast from the past.....i wonder if they still DO make it?cant say ive seen it for a while......,but then again...im not looking.....

An alternative is el cheapo sardines in oil, generic brands can be found at around 3 tins for a dollar and come in handy for emergency burly or even crab bait. I usually attach a swivel/clip to the ring pull on the lid and dangle over the transom. With the lid cracked about 5-10mm. Or attach ring pull to crab nets bait clip. They stow easy too!RogerG

Had a recipe for bait using cat food given to me. Have not tried it as yet. The bloke who gave it to me reckons he has caught mullet,tommies, salmon trout and other bits and pieces with it. Here it is if someone wants to give it a try.Tin of cat food: Tuna Red Meat (Cheap brand is fine)Tablespoon of Tuna oil (add more if needed during mixing)Self Raising flour (again, add more if required during mixing)Mix till a dough consistency.Only need a pea size piece on the hook.Donny

Had a recipe for bait using cat food given to me. Have not tried it as yet. The bloke who gave it to me reckons he has caught mullet,tommies, salmon trout and other bits and pieces with it. Here it is if someone wants to give it a try.Tin of cat food: Tuna Red Meat (Cheap brand is fine)Tablespoon of Tuna oil (add more if needed during mixing)Self Raising flour (again, add more if required during mixing)Mix till a dough consistency.Only need a pea size piece on the hook.Donny

That's the mix I use to catch mullet except I use any can with seafood in it.... I use it in my berley spring sinker and also on the hooks, it works a treatMy mate who always does well on the whiting uses tinned cat food for berley and swears by the one with aspic in it
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

you can virtually use anything for burley but its probably not the best idea throwing the cans in when you cant take them home with ya cos if we all did it, there would be heaps in the sea. i found quite a few on the beach this year at carrickalinga and normanville. shane

just lately, ive been using a berley pot from the rocks... tied onto some heavy cord, and i throw it out.....few weeks ago the tide was racing out, went down to hurl the pot out into deeper water as it was high and dry... THE BLOODY POT WAS COVERED IN ROCK CRABS... must have been at least 30 of them....so it obviously got a bit of a scent to it, and it must be coming out... ive been taking the empty tins home, rinsing and putting into the recycle.