Bouillabaisse & Mussels Question

My wife recently cooked a Bouillabaisse, but we suspected the Mussels she bought had been out of the water for a fair while. Anybody know good place to buy *fresh* Mussels, my best idea is a place with with a big turnover like Angelakis Bros in the Central Market.Here's the recipe she used:Bouillabaisse2 kg mixed fresh fish250 g prawns250 g scallops250 g mussels or clams (in shell, well scrubbed)6 tablespoons olive oil2 onions, sliced4 cloves garlic, crushed4 tomatoes, skinned and cut into sectionsteaspoon tumericteaspoon paprika1 chilli, dried2 cups fish stock1 cup white wine2 tablespoons chopped parsleySalt and pepper to taste Fillet fish, use heads and trimmings for the stock. Cut fillets into 8 cm pieces (approximately). Heat the olive oil in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Add onion, garlic, tomatoes, stir well. Add tumeric, paprika, chilli and simmer for 30 minutes. Add fish stock and wine, simmer further 20 minutes. Add fish and prawns, simmer until cooked, add mussels, simmer until opened, then scallops until heated through. Season to taste. Toss in the parsley, stir quickly and serve with garlic bread. Serves 4 – 6.

mussels are safe to buy anywhere as long as they are shut.If any are open, they are dead or dying, and we all know bacteria sets into crustacions very fast.This goes for all double shell crustacions, make sure they are closed. ie oysters, mussels, scallops, cockles etc.Damm that recipe looks great, I gotta try it!

I lived in New Zealand for a while and used to eat Pipis (Paphies australis) quiet often as they are a very popular shellfish over there. When I arrived here I thought Goolwa Cockles (Plebidonax deltoides) might be the same as New Zealand Pipis, but when I suggested to mates that they might be edible they thought the idea of eating Cockles was very amusing. I can also remember when very few Aussies would eat Squid, Cuttlefish, Octopus and Morton Bay Bugs.

when I suggested to mates that they might be edible they thought the idea of eating Cockles was very amusing. I can also remember when very few Aussies would eat Squid, Cuttlefish, Octopus and Morton Bay Bugs.

Mebbe some just need to have a sense of adventure, and broaden their horizons somewhat!
  • 3 years later...