cockles galore

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

wat a pearler of a day yesterday was met up with moggy and hslv as well as 4tha got our limit in about 2 hrs after id been smashed around by some killer waves lost 1 pair of sunnys and i think they ma

We went for a spin down to Goolwa this morning and got 900 in an hour and a half, first time for us and had a ball.Met up with Gonefishing, PLUGGER and 4THALOVENot sure how the others went as we left

Breambo, I was eluding to the possibility of a total possession limit, say per car, similar to a boat limit being 3x bag limit.Otherwise you'll have every tom dick and harry loading up the Torago with

Posted Images

Good to hear fisheries are down there keeping an eye on things. Hate people keeping undersize catches... :angry:

be pointless taking undersize cockles considering the legal size ones are so easy to come by at the moment. the bigger worry would be people taking over their limit.glad to say I didn't see anyone taking over their limit, but its a little pointless when you can have wives and family members tag along for a huge bag limit... possession limits anyone?? :)

Good to hear fisheries are down there keeping an eye on things. Hate people keeping undersize catches... :angry:

possession limits anyone?? :)
Pipi (Goolwa cockle) Size, bag and boat limits Details ImageDonax deltoides Marine Minimum legal length: 3.5 cm measured across widest part of shell Personal daily bag limit: 100 west of the line of longitude 136°E (Cape Catastrophe) as of 1 November 2011.Closed season: NOTE: A temporary closure is currently in place for recreational Pipi fishing on the Goolwa Beach from the Murray Mouth to Middleton Point due to concerns over high E.coli levels in the waters and local Pipi stocks. The clsoure is in place until 31 May 2011. Click here to see a map of the closure. This current closure continues through to the start of the regular closed season.This may help.

From what i can work out, it would seem that the 100 limit is for those cockles taken from now on, would be for the West Coast only.As i have seen they also live quite well(the goolwa cockle)over there.Cape Catasrophe is on the West Coast and the lines that they are describing would be to my calculations exactly that. Hope i'm right cause i'm off to Goolwa tomorrow to get some And 300 PP at that!

Cape Catastrophe is south of Pt Lincoln. Last time I checked, Goolwa was far to the east of that ;)http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recreational_fishing/closures/closed_areas/information_sheet_on_pipi_fishing_in_south_australiaQ. How many pipi can I take?

The daily recreational bag limit east of the line of longitude 136°E (Cape Catastrophe) is a maximum of 300 pipi per person per day. As of 1 November 2011 a reduced daily recreational bag limit applies west of the line of longitude 136°E of a maximum 100 Pipi per person per day.

Breambo, I was eluding to the possibility of a total possession limit, say per car, similar to a boat limit being 3x bag limit.Otherwise you'll have every tom dick and harry loading up the Torago with 7 passengers and collecting their 2,400 cockles.As it stands, there is nothing wrong with doing this and many would argue that its their right etc etc. But seriously, how many people need that many cockles? even if you were eating them for a family feast, thats like over 25kg of cockles... or over 50 bags of bait.I went today with the missus and her friend, who both come fishing with me, and we collected enough cockles to last months, possibly the whole summer.I just don't want to see the place turn to crap again is all because it has really turned good this year and it would be nice if it stayed that way. Hopefully most people take their fair share and not hit the place time and time again.

What was your technique aff? I found them to be a little deeper than normal and just dug them up by hand letting the wave action erode my dug hole exposing more cockles. I literally dug up thousands of the buggers, a lot of them are undersize.The good old cockle shuffle just doesn't do it for me, I'm a digger :)

Q. What can I use to collect pipi?

Recreational fishers may use a cockle rake, bait spade, bait fork or collect by hand. Commercial fishers may use a cockle rake endorsed on their fishery licence or collect by hand.

Lucky fisheries weren't there, don't see 'dog' on the permitted devices list :silly: :pWell done, its good fun and the young ones love it. Good slave labour too :D

sorry if I am cutting in on someones topic, but we have never been to Goolwa b4 and will be at Victor 19 & 20th so can we just rock up and dig a hole & collect them? Also will there be any left by then, dont think I want to bag out just sounds like another experience to add to our list & use when we finally get time to wet the new tubthanx as always poppa snake & super G