cockles galore

hey ppl, i was jus googlin how to purge these cockles for a feed and came across this on a sydney fish market site, i will see if it works as i totally forgot to get some sea water when i was there...hope it works and helps some others..."If they haven’t been purged, place them in a solution of cool water and sea salt (30g salt to each litre of water) for several hours, or overnight, in a cool part of the house (if you refrigerate them they’ll close up and won’t ‘spit out’ the sand). The shells yield an average of 20-30% meat, so allow around 600g of whole shells per person as a main course."Obviously i am going to suspend them as earlier suggested aswell...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

wat a pearler of a day yesterday was met up with moggy and hslv as well as 4tha got our limit in about 2 hrs after id been smashed around by some killer waves lost 1 pair of sunnys and i think they ma

We went for a spin down to Goolwa this morning and got 900 in an hour and a half, first time for us and had a ball.Met up with Gonefishing, PLUGGER and 4THALOVENot sure how the others went as we left

Breambo, I was eluding to the possibility of a total possession limit, say per car, similar to a boat limit being 3x bag limit.Otherwise you'll have every tom dick and harry loading up the Torago with

Posted Images

Headed to Goolwa Beach this morning for my first try at the cockle shuffle. Took the kids (student free day) for a play on the sand and help me gather some cockles. Got there a bit later than i wanted to, tide was starting to come in. Ended up with exactly 300. Not too bad for a first attempt.The kids had a ball and i got to stock up the bait freezer with yet again more bait. All in all a great day out, and i'm sure i gained some brownie points.Cheers.Sam

Ended up with exactly 300. Not too bad for a first attempt.All in all a great day out' date=' and i'm sure i gained some brownie points.Cheers.Sam[/quote']Sounds like you did very well on both counts Samortra. B):clap::clap::clap: That also reminded me to ask.Does anyone know if the cockles move up and down the beach with the tide :huh::unsure: Sam obviously got his just after low tide, but my last lot came pretty close to the high tide :huh:

Had a great day out there with JM today :woohoo: We got our share fairly quickly after hitting a REALLY good patch it was nothing to pick up five with one grab at the sand and still feel more by your hand, plus the ones boing your knees and legs!Ended up with 200 over :blink::blush: on counting so we quickly gave the balance away to others who hadn't done so well ;) Great fun rolling around in the surf watching the birdlifr lose an occasional feather to a surging wave :whistle: Only down side was JM losing his RayBan sunnies :ohmy: :( On the chance anyone finds them pls let him know! :)

Had a great day out there with JM today :woohoo: We got our share fairly quickly after hitting a REALLY good patch. It was nothing to pick up five with one grab at the sand and still feel more by your hand, plus the ones hitting your knees and legs!Ended up with 200 over :blink::blush: on counting so we quickly gave the balance away to others who hadn't done so well ;) Great fun rolling around in the surf watching the birdlifr lose an occasional feather to a surging wave :whistle: Only down side was JM losing his RayBan sunnies :ohmy: :( On the chance anyone finds them pls let him know! :)

The Mrs and myself were there today. We got our limit in just over an hour just in front of the carport in knee deep water.I also found a pair of sunglasses in the water. Not sure what type they were' date=' but will have a look when i finish unpacking the car.[/quote']PM sent mate. Sentimental attachment to those sunnies and would be fantastic if they are the ones.

I found it very hard to believe that there would be that many down there as in other years we walk about 500 metres from the car before we get anywhere near our limit. Well i had a rdo off today so spent the weekend down at deep creek (my second home) and today we came home through goolwa to see if all these cockles were true.Between 4 of us (wife and 2 kids) we picked up 1200 in 45 minutes without even venturing more than 5 metres from the where the car was parked. We just parked and walked straight to the water and bagged on huge cockles. I would almost encourage a closure like we had last year every year if this is the result of that. AMAZING! :clap:

I am really tempted to make my first trip to goolwa to collect cockles now.... From the reports, I'd be crazy to miss out on this opportunity. Also, I was fishing at west lakes and saw a group of old folks with rather small 2cm pipis. They were fresh since they were still covered in black sand (black??) out of their bait box. This was back in September. Is there a different kind of shellfish that can be collected during season closure? Just curious because of the black sand the pipis were being kept alive in.

Black sand :huh: makes me wonder if the werent mud cockles from the port area somewhere :unsure: It was pretty amazing to see the line up of 4x4s down there yesterday ! No doubt some just down there for the sake of it, but at an estimate, Id say there had to be some 300 ppl cockling, and assuming they all got their limit, that's 90000 gone in one day :blink::blink::blink: Id agree to a more extended closure too if it makes them this good :clap::clap::clap:

90k gone?? NOO!!! I have to round up my friends and drag them by the scruff of their necks before it's too late. Damn exams..... Making a trip alone is no fun... 5 per car and that'll be it for my cockling adventure. Plenty of bait for a year!!!Closures are definitely worth it as long as they re-open a location. I would always support temporary closure. Something like a marine park, not so much seeing that no fishing is allowed there for a long time if not forever... :(

I'd agree MickSA Plenty there and there's probably a rush at the start of the season and of course the weekdays are a lot quieter Nyway. I'm glad now that the bag is 300. On my numbers above and under the oldimits, it would have been 180000 cockles gone ! :blink: Sharing costs over three trips has only cost me about 30$ and I have plenty of bait to last me I can't see much of a " gain" or "loss" between now and tback when we were allowed 600 and the cockles win out ;)

Its ok pikk0n there are plenty there' date=' plenty![/quote']HAHA! Hoping to land myself some big ones to be cooked. I've been looking up some cockling recipes especially the one suggested by Ranger. Kinda keen to cook some of the cockles for a feed. :P
I can vouch for ranger and his cockles ;) Christmas a couple of years ago we threw him and Mel the mussels and said here cook these B) When we cook our cockles, We prepare some garlic in the fry pan/wok by just browning it in a little extra virgin olive oil to release the aroma, add the cockles, dry white wine, chilli flakes and chopped spring onions, cover and simmer until the cockles open. Wella your done! Discard any cockles that don't open (we freeze them and return them to berley) As a matter of fact we keep all our wine soaked cockle shells and berley up next time on the whiting grounds, believe it or not, it increases the fishing big time :fishing::clap: We reckon the whiting like the taste of white wine :woohoo: :d/ :f :P
I can vouch for ranger and his cockles ;) Christmas a couple of years ago we threw him and Mel the mussels and said here cook these B) When we cook our cockles' date=' We prepare some garlic in the fry pan/wok by just browning it in a little extra virgin olive oil to release the aroma, add the cockles, dry white wine, chilli flakes and chopped spring onions, cover and simmer until the cockles open. Wella your done! Discard any cockles that don't open (we freeze them and return them to berley) As a matter of fact we keep all our wine soaked cockle shells and berley up next time on the whiting grounds, believe it or not, it increases the fishing big time :fishing::clap: We reckon the whiting like the taste of white wine :woohoo: :d/ :f :P[/quote']Do you crush your shells or just have them whole? I see lots of whole cockle shells washed up on beaches but that may just be from fishos on the jetty chucking the shells into the sea after use.
I can vouch for ranger and his cockles ;) Christmas a couple of years ago we threw him and Mel the mussels and said here cook these B) When we cook our cockles' date=' We prepare some garlic in the fry pan/wok by just browning it in a little extra virgin olive oil to release the aroma' date=' add the cockles, dry white wine, chilli flakes and chopped spring onions, cover and simmer until the cockles open. Wella your done! Discard any cockles that don't open (we freeze them and return them to berley) As a matter of fact we keep all our wine soaked cockle shells and berley up next time on the whiting grounds, believe it or not, it increases the fishing big time :fishing::clap: We reckon the whiting like the taste of white wine :woohoo: :d/ :f :P[/quote'']Do you crush your shells or just have them whole? I see lots of whole cockle shells washed up on beaches but that may just be from fishos on the jetty chucking the shells into the sea after use.
I split the shells in half, i don't crush them ;)