cockles galore

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

wat a pearler of a day yesterday was met up with moggy and hslv as well as 4tha got our limit in about 2 hrs after id been smashed around by some killer waves lost 1 pair of sunnys and i think they ma

We went for a spin down to Goolwa this morning and got 900 in an hour and a half, first time for us and had a ball.Met up with Gonefishing, PLUGGER and 4THALOVENot sure how the others went as we left

Breambo, I was eluding to the possibility of a total possession limit, say per car, similar to a boat limit being 3x bag limit.Otherwise you'll have every tom dick and harry loading up the Torago with

Posted Images

Time to start this topic up again. How long do cockles stay alive for? Would you recommend an aerator if it's a 1.5 hour drive from my place to goolwa? Will be going there tomorrow. :P Would prefer to have all the cockles alive for purging when I get home. :P Let's see how my beginner's luck is...

Bag of ice (Keeping them cool B) ) is all you need to keep them alive' date=' they last up to a week or so in the fridge has been my experience, nothing like fising for whiting with live cockles, but can be a prick to open :evil:[/quote']What about putting my catch in an ice box filled with sea water? Didn't make ice so if I can save up on ice, I would. :P
working on saturday but was thinking of bringing the kids down on sunday to pick up a few for bait and maybe a few to tryout on rangers recipes. What conditions knots' date='tides,wind direction are easier for the kids if this weekend is crap i'll try next weekend?Thanks for any tips[/quote']For Sunday, after lunch would be best as it's low tide at 5 pm and you can't check this surfcam before you go, Chiton Rockshttp://www.coastalwatch.com/camera/cameras_large.aspx?cam=6500&state=SA&t=9:09:09 PM&camName=Chiton Rocks

I saw a guy down there last time with two kids around 6-7 ddb. they were having a ball in the wash and smaller close in waves, but it might pay to keep an eye on them til they know what they can or cant handle down thereI wouldnt worry about the tidal factor, but maybe just avoid any wind that are strong and onshore maybe, though Im not sure what that direction would be down there :unsure: Try looking at Willy Weather and type in Goolwa in the search function for an up date

working on saturday but was thinking of bringing the kids down on sunday to pick up a few for bait and maybe a few to tryout on rangers recipes. What conditions knots' date='tides' date='wind direction are easier for the kids if this weekend is crap i'll try next weekend?Thanks for any tips[/quote'']For Sunday, after lunch would be best as it's low tide at 5 pm and you can't check this surfcam before you go, Chiton Rockshttp://www.coastalwatch.com/camera/cameras_large.aspx?cam=6500&state=SA&t=9:09:09 PM&camName=Chiton Rocks
Low tide is better for the kids, the waves don't pickup as bad as it does at high tide, the gutters at low tide help keeps the waves down and we found we were picking up the cockles quicker. B)http://www.willyweather.com.au/sa/fleurieu-peninsula/goolwa-beach.html
I am really tempted to make my first trip to goolwa to collect cockles now.... From the reports' date=' I'd be crazy to miss out on this opportunity. Also, I was fishing at west lakes and saw a group of old folks with rather small 2cm pipis. They were fresh since they were still covered in black sand (black??) out of their bait box. This was back in September. Is there a different kind of shellfish that can be collected during season closure? Just curious because of the black sand the pipis were being kept alive in.[/quote']As well as Goolwa Cockles/pipis (Donax deltoides) which have a minimum size of 35mm, we can also collect Mud Cockles (Katelysia species), but they still have a minimum size of 30mm. These mud cockles also make for very good bait and good eating.When collecting we wear wetsuits, as that water gets bl**dy cold down there, and instead of onion bags we use them little supermarket shopping baskets (a tip provided by Micksa).Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageNote: this picture was taken before the 300 p/p limit, back when we could collect 600 per person.In regards to eating cockles, purging is the most important part of the process, so that you dont munch down on a mouthful of sand.Cockles will stay alive for quite some time, if you keep them covered in water and keep them cool, but it must be SALT water as fresh will kill them!The best way to purge cockles for eating is to have lots and lots of clean running salt water passing over them for 18-24 hours.Naturally this type of setup is not feasable for us, so we have to look at other alternatives.One way I have found which is quite effective is to place all the cockles in an onion sack with a bar/rod/pipe through the top of the bag.Place the bag into an esky/container of SALT water, using the bar across the top of the bag to suspend it.You do not want the bag sitting on the bottom of the esky.Every few hours lift the bag and give it a shake, and the cockles will slowly start to spit out the sand.After 24 hours they will be relatively free of sand and suitable for eating, plus you'll see all the sand sitting at the bottom of the container.Cooking cockles is just so easy, and there are any number if different recipes. I keep mine fairly simple, here's one of the easiest.Chopped fresh garlic and chopped fresh chili into the wok. Throw in the cockles and add a coupla spoons of Chinese garlic/chili sauce (available off the shelf at most supermarkets).Cover and simmer until the cockles open. As suggested, discard any unopened.Dont overcook them, and I dont use wine, water or any other fluids, as they cook ok in their own juices and produce plenty of it.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageTraditionally, you use the first empty cockle shell as a pair of pincers rather than a knife and fork.Supplement with cold beer or a good dry white wine! :d/

I came back with my 600 limit. :) Thanks to this group of other cockle collectors who had one full bucket too many! LOL!!! He gave me everything so instead of spending my time in Goolwa collecting cockles, I spent most of my time there sorting through 500 odd cockles to get the limit. I was there with my girlfriend. There were a few undersized ones but not many. When I was out there collecting the first 50 odd, I had no trouble finding them. Just go to the edge of the water and slowly dig away. You'll easily find 20+ from one spot as a minimum. By 20+ I mean those which are definitely legal just by looking at them. :) I just went right down to the beach from the carpark. Plenty out there for anyone else interested.Anyway, I'm really thankful to the group of people who gave me the bucket of cockles and a home made ruler cockle measurer which made measuring them really easy. :) If any of them happen to be in this forums, thanks again and I really appreciate it. They were a group of 2 men and 2 women.As for purging, Ranger. Thanks for the advice. I was reading up on your old posts about cockling. Also grabbed myself 3 buckets of seawater whilst I'm there. Right now, I have my cockles suspended over the bucket of seawater. Hopefully purging them will turn out ok. Seeing that I have cricket tomorrow, I will be purging them for well over 24 hours. :P Around 36 hours. That should get rid of as much sand as possible. Would you recommend freezing them after this 36 hours or just leave them in the suspended nets that I have over my buckets? I'm going to cook some of them tomorrow but not all. Will save some to cook on Sunday.Thanks for the reports on this thread. My first ever cockling trip was a major success. :) Will most probably only go cockling again if my mates need help collecting bait for his own fishing since it's a 190km round trip for me. :S

I came back with my 600 limit. :) Thanks to this group of other cockle collectors who had one full bucket too many! LOL!!! He gave me everything so instead of spending my time in Goolwa collecting cockles' date=' I spent most of my time there sorting through 500 odd cockles to get the limit. [/quote']I was in a simlar situation recently pikkon Just me and I had collected a bit over 250 between ourselves, with that lot counted out into an esky before we returned to the water for round 2.When we returned to the car we found we had well over another 400 when we counted them :pinch: Naturally we had no intention of knowingly taking over our limit, but anyone could use that as an excuse when checked ! Supposedly the fact we were counting the larger ones out into an easky and leaving the smaller ones in a seperate pile, and the fact they werent actually in the car would have been a "saving grace " :huh: Afterwards we wondered what PIRSA/Fisheries would say if they had checked us at the time :huh: :unsure:In hindsight it may be best to do the best you can to count them as best you can as you collect them, before doing a final more accurate count up on the beach.

did the aniversary weekend at McCracken and on the way home today stopped at GoolwaI realise you all know how to get cockles so I wont bore you with what bait,rods,reels and hooks we used but a big thanx for the info on how to get them. How EASY is it!!!! 50 metres from car park 45 minutes 423 cockles.one thing you didnt tell us DONT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE WAVES unless you like to see 2 x 50 year olds being dumped and washed 30 metres up the beach!!!!!! thanx again hope to report on our 1st,2nd,3rd outing in the tub this week

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg