normanville shark fishing fury

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amazing! 11 pages and going... :ohmy: although everyone is and has put up good arguments over the pros and cons of shark fishing on metro jetties and the beurocrats will in the end - have their way on

Well said AFF and Jack. I am on the side of the sharkers but most are doing themselves little favours by posting what some are on here. We have a local whom is concerned about the welfare of his kids

I remember fishing the warves around the port and the metro jetties in the late eighties and early nineties when I was in high school. Some of those spots were as rough as guts with dero's punching o

Posted Images

that's not the truth of what happened down there! i know the fisherman who apparently brang a knife out on the other fisherman but wasn't like that at all!he was trying to shark fish and the other fisherman didn't like it because hes a local and down there all the time fishing off that jetty and is sick of shark fisherman down there catching them! he said to my mate stop coming down here all the time fishing for sharks! (was his 1st time down there!)he grabbed his shark gear and threatened to through it into the drink ($1600 set up) and he was lucky he didn't get touched by doing that! my mate had a knife there for bait ect but didn't raise it to him! hes lucky he didn't get hurt for doing what he did grabbing a $1600 setup and threatening to through it over the side! the old fella rang the cops after a argument and they sorted it out they must of told the news about it!

That story by jewiehunter is exacyly the correct story, i know the person and group quite well!!Also have encountered this other man and he is there everyday and night as he is a local. He is a grumpy selfish old bastard that has no idea what he is on about. As for the shark issue do not get me started, we dont use bloody berley for the billionth time!! If you wanna see the attractant to the sharks getting closer have a look in some people of a certain minority and the pork or chicken carcasses that they contain. People these days have no idea.There is a lot of rubbish that is going to circle and most of it is based upon a load of crap with no scientifical evidence.Also just to let the local bloke know, fullysickwog, barbz and myself will be filming a documentary that we have been working on, and that area will be next. It will be around 15mins and show how we shark fish. So mate if your there, be an old bastard and we gotcha on camera sunshine, and i had the same issue down at semaphore with people tampering with there lines. If were there first others can move! Its not only there jetty.I'm sorry if im over reacting but this topic has given me the absolute @%%!!$ &^%!&% lately and I'm sure it has to a lot of other people!Cheers and Keep Sharking, SamN

We went down to normanville yesterday fished besided the surf life saving club, was up at carra but the breaks were to big.Had the pommy guy from the surf life saving club i wasnt in the mood for arguing but had him up in my face trying to call me a smart ass his face was red as when he was up in my face, going by his posture i was ready for him to throw a punch at me. Started swearing at me and my mate walked off and was saying he was going to call the cops. well 6hrs later they didnt rock up.

Guest emufingers

I live in Normanville and I'm not the one who was on the Jetty. Here's a local perspective. The Jetty is very short and there is hardly any advantage compared to the beach. The Jetty is situated right next to the Lifesaving Club and the zone that is patrolled and used for training every weekend.There has been a lot of shark fishing there in recent weeks with some large catches and bustoffs. One group has been using a kayak to row out the baits and to place berley near them. They have been using fish and fish oil baits and not meat or offal. The issue is the proximity of the shark fishing using oily berleying to the swimming beach and fishing while swimmers are in the water often within 50 metres of the baits. There are plenty of other areas of beach for shark fishing. Locals are very concerned that the patrolled beach area is being placed at risk by fishing. My grandkids swim there and are members of the lifesaving club. I would prefer that all people fishing on the jetty target smaller species and am most concerned when I see heavy berlying and large balloon rigged baits so close to the designated swimming area.The attitudes in the previous posts do little to convince me that many of the shark fishers that visit Normanville have much respect for others who want o use the area for other purposes. I would support by-laws that set a safety perimeter around designated swimming beaches where hark fishing is banned.There are plenty of other places to shark fish from the shore in the area but onky one patrolled beach area.

I live in Normanville and I'm not the one who was on the Jetty. Here's a local perspective. The Jetty is very short and there is hardly any advantage compared to the beach. The Jetty is situated right next to the Lifesaving Club and the zone that is patrolled and used for training every weekend.There has been a lot of shark fishing there in recent weeks with some large catches and bustoffs. One group has been using a kayak to row out the baits and to place berley near them. They have been using fish and fish oil baits and not meat or offal. The issue is the proximity of the shark fishing using oily berleying to the swimming beach and fishing while swimmers are in the water often within 50 metres of the baits. There are plenty of other areas of beach for shark fishing. Locals are very concerned that the patrolled beach area is being placed at risk by fishing. My grandkids swim there and are members of the lifesaving club. I would prefer that all people fishing on the jetty target smaller species and am most concerned when I see heavy berlying and large balloon rigged baits so close to the designated swimming area.The attitudes in the previous posts do little to convince me that many of the shark fishers that visit Normanville have much respect for others who want o use the area for other purposes. I would support by-laws that set a safety perimeter around designated swimming beaches where hark fishing is banned.There are plenty of other places to shark fish from the shore in the area but onky one patrolled beach area.

Sorry, people in this thread dont sound like they have respect? Some old guy grabbing someones personal property and threatening to throw it into the water, yeah some how i dont think you would be pleased if someone did that to your property.also , sorry but i dont appreciate some geezer getting up in my face when we are doing nothing wrong its not against the law you also dont own the beach either.So do you think having 3 30cm baits sitting 200m off shore is going to so called lure sharks in? If you were to fish 500m further down from the jetty, whats stopping them from coming 500m further up?How far do you and your grandkids swim? must be going rather far out to put yourself into any danger i would be more worried about standing on a stingray. Also can you supply me with a adelaide shark attack off a local beach close to shore.Thanks.
Guest emufingers
Sorry' date=' people in this thread dont sound like they have respect? Some old guy grabbing someones personal property and threatening to throw it into the water' date=' yeah some how i dont think you would be pleased if someone did that to your property.also , sorry but i dont appreciate some geezer getting up in my face when we are doing nothing wrong its not against the law you also dont own the beach either.So do you think having 3 30cm baits sitting 200m off shore is going to so called lure sharks in? If you were to fish 500m further down from the jetty, whats stopping them from coming 500m further up?How far do you and your grandkids swim? must be going rather far out to put yourself into any danger i would be more worried about standing on a stingray. Also can you supply me with a adelaide shark attack off a local beach close to shore.Thanks.[/quote'']I have made no attempt to justify bad behaviour on either side. You describe your fishing behaviour, but you are not the only one who fishes there. Heavy berleying has occurred on at least three occasions in the last three weeks and if tis is not designed to attract sharks to the area where baits are, what is it meant to do?I politely put the position of a fisherman who lives in the area, but I don't find the reply polite. The point is that the result of a shark attack in a swimming area is very great. Managing even a small risk is important. There has been sufficient evidence to prohibit berleying with non fish products in SA. We live with the fact that there is a known risk in our area and we are asking other that use it to increase the distance between their chosen hobby, shark fishing and the chosen activity of many others swimming.My grand-kids belong to the surf club and as part of their training they swim and board paddle 200 metres off shore in the area.Last summer there were several sightings of large GWS and Bronzies within 50 metres of the shore along the local coast. It is dangerous to induce these creatures into a feeding mode close to swimmers. Moving shark fishing away from the jetty is not a matter of ownership of the beach, It is a matter of recognising that shark fishing will be just as successful a little further away . Neither of us can scientifically define the change in the level of risk, but I wonder how you would fell if when you are fishing a child is attacked in the designated safe swimming zone?
Guest emufingers
Hey emufingers' date=' I have to ask (and I apologise ahead of the question as I have never been to Normanville and I do not Shark Fish) but how is the area a Designated Safe Swimming Area?[/quote']The area immediately to the North of the Jetty is a lifesaver patrolled beach. The Surf lifesaving clun is located there. It was chosen because of the area of clear sand and lack of currents.The interesting thing is that at low tide there is no water at all at the end of the jetty as most of it was washed away in a storm.

Call me nieve, but hasnt shark fishing form jetties been going on for years? and haven't we been sharing the swim/fish areas for years?IS there ANY research in regards to shark/human attacks found to be attributed or even slightly linked to shark fishing.we cant throw as many opinions about as we like, but really its a pointless argument without facts.the increasing aggressiveness of those who oppose is getting ridiculous and could potentially get quite dangerous. For shrak fishos, like previously mentioned, try to steer clear of the abuse etc (hard to bite your tounge) but right now, as they have thrown "Child safety:" into the mix, every man and his activist dog thinks its wrong and will shout and scream. They will do what these occupy protesters are doing, Enticing aggression then miss quoting/filming/editing reactions etc

Guest emufingers

most shark fishos only fish of jetties so they dont have to worry about their $1000+ shark reels getting covered in sand. Big overhead reels were not designed too be used of beaches and must be avoided due to risking any warranty claims being rejected by the manufacturers

I am glad you look after your gear, I want to look after my grandkids There are several locals who shark-fish off the beach and off the rocks at Carrickalinga using simple rod stands. Their gear seems well protected and they have quite a bit of success.
For shark fishos' date=' like previously mentioned, try to steer clear of the abuse etc (hard to bite your tounge) but right now, as they have thrown "Child safety:" into the mix, every man and his activist dog thinks its wrong and will shout and scream. They will do what these occupy protesters are doing, Enticing aggression then miss quoting/filming/editing reactions etc[/quote']Well put Kat. Im NOT a shark fisho, and have very little bias, BUT it annoys the hell out of me when people who simply like to think they know what they are on about carry on and spoil it for others who REALLY aren't doing any harm.@ Emufingers, Id agree 100% that you have every right to look after your grandchildren as best you can :clap: . However, have they got more right to play in the water than these fishers do to fish in it though :huh::unsure: I'm sure you will get a LOT of responses saying the sharks have always been there, and always will be simply because they HAVE ! Fishos here will also defend their right to fish for sharks saying that their baits will not attract anymore sharks than are already in the general area anyway. To think that anymore are in an area simply because an occasional fisherman has one or two baits in the water has to be very inplausible, and I think if you were honest with yourself you would have to admit that is true! Can I suggest you read up on what attracts a shark to an area and often gets them feeding apart from smell ? I think you will find it's activity IN the water, such as fish and other animals swimming, splashing around etc. Isnt that exactly what kids and adults often do in the water ?Show us a study that substantiates your view that shark fishos pose a threat and I'm pretty sure they'll back off right away !I'd also like to suggest that if they are continually asked to move " just a little bit further away " where are they going to end up ?There's room for everyone, as long as everyone uses some common sense :whistle: Cheers

I'm not a Shark fisho either....never caught one, don't target them etc....Seems to me most Sharkers fish at night and most Swimmers use the beach during the day.As far as I am concerened the sharks being attracted versus the sharks always there debate is a pretty pointless one........The issue seems to arise when sharkers fish a swimming beach at the same time as swimmers are there?I might get flamed here, but is it really that hard for Shark fisho's to avoid swimming beaches (metro jetties) during the daylight and twilight hours on warm days when there is gonna be heaps of people around (I know most sharkers do, but no doubt there is a few that don't)........If you wanna shark fish during the day, do it on a beach/rocks/jetty that isn't full of people.....Same deal for swimmers/jetty users.....Nobody swims at night, why harass a Shark fisherman for game fishing on an abandoned beach/jettyAs AFF said, there is room for everyone, just a little common sense is needed

Guest emufingers
For shark fishos' date=' like previously mentioned' date=' try to steer clear of the abuse etc (hard to bite your tounge) but right now, as they have thrown "Child safety:" into the mix, every man and his activist dog thinks its wrong and will shout and scream. They will do what these occupy protesters are doing, Enticing aggression then miss quoting/filming/editing reactions etc[/quote'']Well put Kat. Im NOT a shark fisho, and have very little bias, BUT it annoys the hell out of me when people who simply like to think they know what they are on about carry on and spoil it for others who REALLY aren't doing any harm.@ Emufingers, Id agree 100% that you have every right to look after your grandchildren as best you can :clap: . However, have they got more right to play in the water than these fishers do to fish in it though :huh::unsure: I'm sure you will get a LOT of responses saying the sharks have always been there, and always will be simply because they HAVE ! Fishos here will also defend their right to fish for sharks saying that their baits will not attract anymore sharks than are already in the general area anyway. To think that anymore are in an area simply because an occasional fisherman has one or two baits in the water has to be very inplausible, and I think if you were honest with yourself you would have to admit that is true! Can I suggest you read up on what attracts a shark to an area and often gets them feeding apart from smell ? I think you will find it's activity IN the water, such as fish and other animals swimming, splashing around etc. Isnt that exactly what kids and adults often do in the water ?Show us a study that substantiates your view that shark fishos pose a threat and I'm pretty sure they'll back off right away !I'd also like to suggest that if they are continually asked to move " just a little bit further away " where are they going to end up ?There's room for everyone, as long as everyone uses some common sense :whistle: Cheers
I agree that there's room for everyone, as long as everyone uses some common sense.Common sense says that you separate two activities that are potentially risky.There is one area along the local coast where lifesavers protect swimmers. I am asking for a 400 metre separation.If I could trust that shark fishers would only use single baits and not heavily berley the area I would have less concern. The problem is in the last three weeks heavy berleying with tuna oil and fish parts has occurred on several occasions. This i not hearsay I have witnessed it on one of the occasions and there are others who have directly witnessed it.I have already said the neither party can prove whether or not sharkfishing increases the risk and as a trained researcher I know that designing such a study is well nigh impossible. The precautionary principle says that if there is a chance of a high impact risk and a possibility that a behaviour will increase the risk that the behaviour should not occur or should be separated from a high risk area. There are two possibilites. Stop swimming near the jetty and move the surf club or move shark fishing further away. I believe the latter has far less cost and with several kilometers of suitable shark fishing area both North and South that if it came to a decision of the court that they would declare that putting a buffer zone around the patrolled swimming area would be deemed to be what a reasonable person would prefer. Some shark fishers are using heavy berleying with the intention of increasing the chance of a catch. They believe that their methods attracts sharks. There behaviour has the intent of bringing sharks into the bait zone which coincides with a patrolled swimming area. They believe they are changing the number of sharks in the area and their propenstiy to feed. They are therefore acting in a way that by their own argument is increasing the risk in the area.You may be more responsible and only use single baits, but it is obvious that others won't.BTW I have lived on and surfed and fished the Fleurieu for most of my life. I know the habits of the sharks well and have adjusted where I surf and swim accordingly. I know that November to the new year is a very active time along this section of coast and adjust my water activities to manage my risk. Please consider only shark fishing in areas well away, at least 400 metres, from any patrolled beach.
Guest emufingers
post-7654-139623804565_thumb.jpg
jetties are built so people can fish of them' date=' shark fishing from jetties is not illegal so maybe the surf club made a bad judgement basing its activities so close to the jetty regardless of its length,[/quote']Actually the jetty was poorly sited and has been shortened by storms on many occasions. The Surfclub has been there a long time but only since the jetty had become the Jetty to Nowhere. You seem to have the view that you know eveything and that all those who worked with the council to get lifesaving club have poor judgement. Is not getting sand in a reel really so important.