normanville shark fishing fury

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amazing! 11 pages and going... :ohmy: although everyone is and has put up good arguments over the pros and cons of shark fishing on metro jetties and the beurocrats will in the end - have their way on

Well said AFF and Jack. I am on the side of the sharkers but most are doing themselves little favours by posting what some are on here. We have a local whom is concerned about the welfare of his kids

I remember fishing the warves around the port and the metro jetties in the late eighties and early nineties when I was in high school. Some of those spots were as rough as guts with dero's punching o

Posted Images

Kids and teenagers have been sharking off metro jetties for decades and its never been a problem until social media started to thrive.

The movie "jaws" has a lot to answer too, as has the media making Jo Public think that sharks are "just waiting " to eat ppl.Of course if it helps earn the mighty dollar, of COURSE it's true, and worth perpetuating :whistle: Truth is always stranger than fiction .....................

getiing pretty sick and tire of seeing this post go on and on like last months post about the bronzie tht was caught n the debate or 5 plus pages about it being a white.who gives a crap honestly us sharkers are still gonna fish no matter what any one says or rules implied.if we want to use tuna oil we will and we can use as many litres as we wont since we are not breaking the rules.there are no rules that say you can only shark fish during certain times of the day this and that wewill shark fish when ever its convienent for us.i work full time mon to friday and work 8-4if i want to go down after a hard days work and shark fish i will and no 1 will stop me at any times.of corse some people break the rules and with everything a few always break them. but dont judge us like the rest until you no how we are.

This morning on the radio they were interviewing a horse trainer who swims his horses down there.The hypocrisy of it all was he's going on about shark anglers and berley whilst at the very same time making no mention of the fact his stinking, farting, crapping and splashing horses would be more of an attractant to sharks than a few anglers using tuna oil would.ABC radio is so biased against recreational anglers whether it be on the marine park debate or now this debate. They always only air the anti-recreational fishing side.Don't they realise recreational fishing is the most popular pastime in Australia?

We do not care what any of the locals or Surflife savers say. Us sharkers are allowed to shark when, where we like. Whether it is off a jetty, beach, rocks or where ever. We are going to fish no matter what. It has never been any issue!. You can try to run over our lines call the cops. At the end of the day we are allowed to do it. If we want to shark off jetties we will! doesnt matter if we have $50 outfits or $2000 outfits we wil target sharks. Luring the sharks?? they are already there, maybe tell the sharks to stop coming in close to feed and drop there pubs?? The Surflife savers, locals and public need to know the facts. Tuna oil is not ilegal people use it for tommies, gar? Crabnets smell more then a single shark bait will.At the end of the day we will not give up our passion :fishing:

I remember fishing the warves around the port and the metro jetties in the late eighties and early nineties when I was in high school. Some of those spots were as rough as guts with dero's punching on and beer bottles being smashed. I reckon I learned a lot about conflict resolution and risk management through those days :laugh::laugh: I also have spent time surfing in QLD and WA. Plenty of times I've sent baits out from the shore at Yallingup (near Margaret River) after surfing in the morning. The two pursuits are not mutually exclusive ;). And I've seen a lot more tiger sharks out there on my board than I ever hooked :ohmy: I doubt the majority of people that poo poo shark fishing really have a passion for the salt. And I do mean PASSION. It surprises me that people have mentioned SA surf lifesaving clubs on here, because a lot of the lifesavers in northern NSW and the Gold Coast are also pretty avid fisho's :S Anyone that want to walk up to a shark fisho and get in his face is the wrong doer. Don't forget also that a lot of the guys out on the planks are youngsters :) they aren't grafitti ing your fence or laying rubber in your street. Nor are they home plotting unspeakable things like good emo kids do. No, they are out waiting for an adrenalin pumping run from a big toothy beast. These kids save their money for some pretty cool gear ( my wife would freak if I came home with a $1000 reel lol) and get out into the outdoors and learn that you have to bloody earn what you get in this world. Call it six months at maccas saving for a good combo, while your mates are on their fat backsides playing xbox, then a week staring at the balloon in the middle of the night.... When them runs come and a bronzie is landed these kids need a pat on the back.... Well :c Done Lads. If you go back to when I was 15 years old and saw a brawl on Henley jetty where a guys lost an ear, then you could ask whether much has changes in 19years???? If it hasn't, then we ought to be asking how we can make our jetties SAFER for young shark fisho's, not making life more difficult for em by spewing out the same old 'sharks gonna eat our kids' crap that is based on nothing more than hysterical public opinion fostered by the discovery channel and great old movies like Jaws!

At the end of the day also it comes down to prove it, i can go to down the jetty balloon out and say im going for tuna. How can get prove your going for sharks? If they ban wire ill use heavy mono. Or ill learn to windmill ;) The people that will ban it will be the council. Then they have to try and police it. Where police cant fine you, unless its a water cop. You will need fisheries to police it good luck with that, its hard enough getting them down there for undersized crabs let alone shark fishers.Its also against the law for people to interfear with your personal property, it lists it on the fisheries site if i remember correctly that people must stay clear 50m of your line. If you see someone about to go over your bait, pull out your camera phone and film it for evidence. Obviously if they only go over it once they could say they didnt see it, if they go over it again. well yeah its rather obvious.Even my mum and grandma understand sharks are there. They come in close to drop there pups, so they are there no matter what. Its the climate change that is bringing them even more closer, from what i was told from a experiance sharko.Also with berleying, if theres a bunch of blokes berleying for tommies and gar = gar come upto berley = larger predators chase the gar = ......End of the day. Ill fish no matter what. Cheers.p.s barbz, That guy from normanville life saving club is a ....beware.edit: very true jack. Its not hard to fall into the group of people with drugs and law brakers. I try to stay out of that save money ( lol doesnt work building a car and fishing ) But nothing more relaxing down the beach with a bunch of mates kicking back and talking about life and enjoying what life has to offer. While knowing you have the chance to catch something so great. Man i love fishing.

I remember fishing the warves around the port and the metro jetties in the late eighties and early nineties when I was in high school. Some of those spots were as rough as guts with dero's punching on and beer bottles being smashed. I reckon I learned a lot about conflict resolution and risk management through those days :laugh::laugh: I also have spent time surfing in QLD and WA. Plenty of times I've sent baits out from the shore at Yallingup (near Margaret River) after surfing in the morning. The two pursuits are not mutually exclusive ;). And I've seen a lot more tiger sharks out there on my board than I ever hooked :ohmy: I doubt the majority of people that poo poo shark fishing really have a passion for the salt. And I do mean PASSION. It surprises me that people have mentioned SA surf lifesaving clubs on here' date=' because a lot of the lifesavers in northern NSW and the Gold Coast are also pretty avid fisho's :S Anyone that want to walk up to a shark fisho and get in his face is the wrong doer. Don't forget also that a lot of the guys out on the planks are youngsters :) they aren't grafitti ing your fence or laying rubber in your street. Nor are they home plotting unspeakable things like good emo kids do. No, they are out waiting for an adrenalin pumping run from a big toothy beast. These kids save their money for some pretty cool gear ( my wife would freak if I came home with a $1000 reel lol) and get out into the outdoors and learn that you have to bloody earn what you get in this world. Call it six months at maccas saving for a good combo, while your mates are on their fat backsides playing xbox, then a week staring at the balloon in the middle of the night.... When them runs come and a bronzie is landed these kids need a pat on the back.... Well :c Done Lads. If you go back to when I was 15 years old and saw a brawl on Henley jetty where a guys lost an ear, then you could ask whether much has changes in 19years???? If it hasn't, then we ought to be asking how we can make our jetties SAFER for young shark fisho's, not making life more difficult for em by spewing out the same old 'sharks gonna eat our kids' crap that is based on nothing more than hysterical public opinion fostered by the discovery channel and great old movies like Jaws![/quote']very well said jack exactly man, every sharkie here can relate to that. to earn that cash to save for a gaming combo, means alot of hard work, and everyone that owns one, ul do anything to protect it.. if some random had my 50W in there hands and treathend to chuck it in the dip..... im sure they would be in there first, no one touchces the reels :P in saying that, all the sharkies inoe out there always follow what the law says and we no the concequences if we dont.. for people who still dont like the rules.. ehh hopefully one day they get over it, if not i feel sorry for em :P
At the end of the day also it comes down to prove it' date=' i can go to down the jetty balloon out and say im going for tuna. How can get prove your going for sharks? If they ban wire ill use heavy mono. Or ill learn to windmill ;) The people that will ban it will be the council. Then they have to try and police it. Where police cant fine you, unless its a water cop. You will need fisheries to police it good luck with that, its hard enough getting them down there for undersized crabs let alone shark fishers.Its also against the law for people to interfear with your personal property, it lists it on the fisheries site if i remember correctly that people must stay clear 50m of your line. If you see someone about to go over your bait, pull out your camera phone and film it for evidence. Obviously if they only go over it once they could say they didnt see it, if they go over it again. well yeah its rather obvious.Even my mum and grandma understand sharks are there. They come in close to drop there pups, so they are there no matter what. Its the climate change that is bringing them even more closer, from what i was told from a experiance sharko.Also with berleying, if theres a bunch of blokes berleying for tommies and gar = gar come upto berley = larger predators chase the gar = ......End of the day. Ill fish no matter what. Cheers.p.s barbz, That guy from normanville life saving club is a ....beware.edit: very true jack. Its not hard to fall into the group of people with drugs and law brakers. I try to stay out of that save money ( lol doesnt work building a car and fishing ) But nothing more relaxing down the beach with a bunch of mates kicking back and talking about life and enjoying what life has to offer. While knowing you have the chance to catch something so great. Man i love fishing.[/quote']ye inoe buddy.. c how it all goes down.. dont think he will like me and a few of my mates... violence wont be used i can assure u that... noo need for that... if he goes red in the face mate il laugh in it

It's pretty understNdable that guys here get :c Off when they feel their past tome is being threatened. Just remember though. You might not realise it at the time. but every antagonistic comment made is playing right into the hands of the very people who would like to see shark fishing banned for both you and your mates. ;)

Well said AFF and Jack. I am on the side of the sharkers but most are doing themselves little favours by posting what some are on here. We have a local whom is concerned about the welfare of his kids and others from his town, regardless of if his understanding is a little wrong , and then you get a few defensive fishos who pretty muchset at instigating more crap by saying "well i will be there this weekend lets see what happens" seems more like some want to make things worse rather than better.Use your brains boys and let things cool off for a while. It is obvious that a group of fishos challenging the local people on the internet looks childish and will draw more unwanted attention than anyone wants.Comments Like "I will do what i want when i want" will turn the general puplic against the fishos at the drop of a hat.The intentions may not be to instigate trouble or make things more tense, but it is certainly what it will do, it just common sense. Hope this comes to a conclusion that does not prevent such a great pastime from being banned or have stricter rules in place.Any sharky replying to this thread needs to take a deep breath and remember its easy to get riled up when its your number one passion on the line. Keep calm and use your brains as there will be alot more people watching this thread than what some of you may think.

At the end of the day also it comes down to prove it' date=' i can go to down the jetty balloon out and say im going for tuna. How can get prove your going for sharks? If they ban wire ill use heavy mono. Or ill learn to windmill ;) The people that will ban it will be the council. Then they have to try and police it. Where police cant fine you' date=' unless its a water cop. You will need fisheries to police it good luck with that, its hard enough getting them down there for undersized crabs let alone shark fishers.Its also against the law for people to interfear with your personal property, it lists it on the fisheries site if i remember correctly that people must stay clear 50m of your line. If you see someone about to go over your bait, pull out your camera phone and film it for evidence. Obviously if they only go over it once they could say they didnt see it, if they go over it again. well yeah its rather obvious.Even my mum and grandma understand sharks are there. They come in close to drop there pups, so they are there no matter what. Its the climate change that is bringing them even more closer, from what i was told from a experiance sharko.Also with berleying, if theres a bunch of blokes berleying for tommies and gar = gar come upto berley = larger predators chase the gar = ......End of the day. Ill fish no matter what. Cheers.p.s barbz, That guy from normanville life saving club is a ....beware.edit: very true jack. Its not hard to fall into the group of people with drugs and law brakers. I try to stay out of that save money ( lol doesnt work building a car and fishing ) But nothing more relaxing down the beach with a bunch of mates kicking back and talking about life and enjoying what life has to offer. While knowing you have the chance to catch something so great. Man i love fishing.[/quote'']ye inoe buddy.. c how it all goes down.. dont think he will like me and a few of my mates... violence wont be used i can assure u that... noo need for that... if he goes red in the face mate il laugh in it
Cant wait buddy gonna clean up ;) the locals wont come near us ahaha!

@ SamN, Ekul etc. Do you REALLY want to stir the locals up more and be responsible for turning them against Sharkos in general, which WILL lead to shark fishing being banned ? :huh: Get it into your heads that this is the thin end of a very big wedge !Its not just YOU this affects, ite's EVERY sharker and fisho out there that your comments affect !Have a read of this ;)

Use your brains boys and let things cool off for a while. It is obvious that a group of fishos challenging the local people on the internet looks childish and will draw more unwanted attention than anyone wants.Comments Like "I will do what i want when i want" will turn the general puplic against the fishos at the drop of a hat.The intentions may not be to instigate trouble or make things more tense' date=' but it is certainly what it will do, it just common sense. Hope this comes to a conclusion that does not prevent such a great pastime from being banned or have stricter rules in place.Any sharky replying to this thread needs to take a deep breath and remember its easy to get riled up when its your number one passion on the line. Keep calm and use your brains as there will be alot more people watching this thread than what some of you may think.[/quote']VERY well put Chris :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

AFF, you beat me to it, you sod!!From chrisjc

Use your brains boys and let things cool off for a while. It is obvious that a group of fishos challenging the local people on the internet looks childish and will draw more unwanted attention than anyone wants.Comments Like "I will do what i want when i want" will turn the general puplic against the fishos at the drop of a hat.The intentions may not be to instigate trouble or make things more tense, but it is certainly what it will do, it just common sense. Hope this comes to a conclusion that does not prevent such a great pastime from being banned or have stricter rules in place.Any sharky replying to this thread needs to take a deep breath and remember its easy to get riled up when its your number one passion on the line. Keep calm and use your brains as there will be alot more people watching this thread than what some of you may think.

For those who keep repeating "but it`s legal" - keep in mind all it takes is a stroke of a regulatory/legislative pen and you won`t even have the option of exercising a bit of restraint or discretion. Keep in mind the times we live in.Won`t happen?Mid 80`s, bicycle hemet implementation, someone wrote in to the Tiser saying why the hell are we doing this, motorcyclists have a dispensation for 25 kmh without a helmet. The minister or a department representative replied (paraphrasing from memory)"The government approach is nothing if not consistent - we intend to remove the 25kmh dispensation for motorcyclists at the same time"And they did. Too easy.How hard would it be to slip in something simple like "no balloons or any float with a volume greater than XX permitted in the following areas, blah, blah".Or "no overnead reels permitted for jetty or landbased use in the metro area between locations X and Y, etc".Or "during daylight hours".There goes the justification on the grounds of supposedly (hmmm) fishing for tuna or kingies... :whistle: Yeah, it really does stick in the craw to tip-toe around when one is technically supported by the law and regs, but if a publicity push came to a legislative shove I know who would come off second best...and I have a feeling there would more likely than not be a bipartisan support on something like this.

Some of you shark guys need to adjust your attitude me thinks, you honestly think the laws wont change inrellation to sharking if this kind of stuff is continued? All it will take is a pollie that hates you guys, with a knee jerk reaction, he or she will have enough dumb voters behind them and you guys wont know how good you had it till its gone. few new players in state politics atm, Im sure some off them out to make a name for themselves I suggest you pull your heads in, use a bit of common sense and play it on the down low cos else there will be repocussions. Seen it happen with many things over the years, for example think back to the hoon laws or bikie laws. As soon as these groups got put into the media spotlights, and they played the "cant touch us" card, the pollies came down on them like a tonne of bricks. Not nessaraly for the good off the general public, but to get votes.Also, sand in your gear? Come on, thats a lame arse excuse and you know it, people fish the surf beaches using all sorts of high end saltigas and stellas all the time!! They are much more prone to damage from the elements etc. I doubt fishing off a quiet beach with a light North easterly is going to damage your brass spooled penn 6/0' whilst its sitting in a rod holder.lastly, and this will go to the guys that will flame me for this post, a bit of common cortesy to the fourm, its users and moderators wouldnt go astray.PS, sorry for the spelling mistakes, I should be working instead of typing

Well said AFF and Jack. I am on the side of the sharkers but most are doing themselves little favours by posting what some are on here. We have a local whom is concerned about the welfare of his kids and others from his town' date=' regardless of if his understanding is a little wrong , and then you get a few defensive fishos who pretty muchset at instigating more crap by saying "well i will be there this weekend lets see what happens" seems more like some want to make things worse rather than better.Use your brains boys and let things cool off for a while. It is obvious that a group of fishos challenging the local people on the internet looks childish and will draw more unwanted attention than anyone wants.Comments Like "I will do what i want when i want" will turn the general puplic against the fishos at the drop of a hat.The intentions may not be to instigate trouble or make things more tense, but it is certainly what it will do, it just common sense. Hope this comes to a conclusion that does not prevent such a great pastime from being banned or have stricter rules in place.Any sharky replying to this thread needs to take a deep breath and remember its easy to get riled up when its your number one passion on the line. Keep calm and use your brains as there will be alot more people watching this thread than what some of you may think.[/quote']Chris, you put it so much better than I did!The sharkers may not be doing anything wrong, and are well within their legal rights.The problem comes when the locals start complaining (be they right or wrong), the media jumps onto the band wagon to inflame the issue as controversy sells, and then the council will most certainly side with the locals, as they are the ratepayers who keep the income rolling in. Next thing you know the "NO FISHING" signs start getting posted, and the councils are also well within their own rights to ban fishing in their constituency. Some councils already ban fishing, and I know a few others have tabled it for discussion following the crab/shark debacles in previous years.Sure the sharkers are upset, but sometimes it's far better to bite your lip, keep a low profile, let things cool and look for amicable solutions. It's a matter of choosing your battles, so that you at least have a chance to win, instead of letting your temper, anger and frustration overide common sense!I'm all for the fisho's, we as fisho's all know bronzies live in the metro waters, but it's a hysteria related topic, so we need to hold the moral high ground and start educating, promoting, and conducting ourselves well, so that others dont have the chance or the reason to shut us down.
@ SamN' date=' Ekul etc. Do you [u']REALLY[/u] want to stir the locals up more and be responsible for turning them against Sharkos in general, which WILL lead to shark fishing being banned ? :huh: Get it into your heads that this is the thin end of a very big wedge !Its not just YOU this affects, ite's EVERY sharker and fisho out there that your comments affect !Have a read of this ;)
Use your brains boys and let things cool off for a while. It is obvious that a group of fishos challenging the local people on the internet looks childish and will draw more unwanted attention than anyone wants.Comments Like "I will do what i want when i want" will turn the general puplic against the fishos at the drop of a hat.The intentions may not be to instigate trouble or make things more tense' date=' but it is certainly what it will do, it just common sense. Hope this comes to a conclusion that does not prevent such a great pastime from being banned or have stricter rules in place.Any sharky replying to this thread needs to take a deep breath and remember its easy to get riled up when its your number one passion on the line. Keep calm and use your brains as there will be alot more people watching this thread than what some of you may think.[/quote']VERY well put Chris :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Mate, were not supporting the violence at all, nothing is going to happen when we are over normanville this weekend. @Ale sand does cause a problem mate, having said that your other points are spot on about the laws that is very well said indeed.It should be a chilled weekend and we are fishing off of a beach named "X" so we are not even going to be near any locals and that. Do you think we are gonna go out of our way to cause trouble, no. Why the hell would I want to screw it up for everyone mate? This is an issue that should be tackled properly when the time is right. I agree with what a lot of other people are saying on here as well. But seriously you have the wrong idea im no crook thats gonna go crown anyone that says anythng about sharking. Sorry if you got the wrong opinion, I suggest you come and meet me at one stage or anyone that thinks that I'm violent or what night. I wouldnt hurt anyone??? Whats that gonna prove?? I do not support extended verbal abuse either. So Sorry If people got the wrong idea..
Some of you shark guys need to adjust your attitude me thinks' date=' you honestly think the laws wont change inrellation to sharking if this kind of stuff is continued? All it will take is a pollie that hates you guys, with a knee jerk reaction, he or she will have enough dumb voters behind them and you guys wont know how good you had it till its gone. few new players in state politics atm, Im sure some off them out to make a name for themselves I suggest you pull your heads in, use a bit of common sense and play it on the down low cos else there will be repocussions. Seen it happen with many things over the years, for example think back to the hoon laws or bikie laws. As soon as these groups got put into the media spotlights, and they played the "cant touch us" card, the pollies came down on them like a tonne of bricks. Not nessaraly for the good off the general public, but to get votes.[/quote']Again, I couldn't agree more!I think a lot of it comes down to age! Those of us with a few years under the belt have seen many times what effect media beat up and beaurocrats can have, and the change it has created over the years.I also think many of the landbased sharkers are of a much younger generation, and if we all think back, in our younger years we were also much like them........I know I was! See your passtime being threatened, so first response is to puff up, get angry, attack the issue head on like a bull at a gate, and defend your rights without backing down or giving an inch.........unfortunately, in issues such as this which are driven by the media, misconceptions and most of all FEAR, sometimes a little more tact and negotiation is required to gain a win.I believe what the sharkers need is an elected representative to speak on their behalf when this issue surfaces each year. Someone older, with qualifications and experience in Bronze Whaler sharks which cannot be overlooked or denied by anyone, and someone who also supports recreational fishing. This person can convey the truth about local sharks to the uninformed and misguided, and also explain that the sharkers are abiding by the laws, acting safely and trying to promote responsible practices. That makes the sharkers look like the reasonable and sensible group, and the other crowd hysterical and misguided.
@ SamN' date=' Ekul etc. Do you [u']REALLY[/u] want to stir the locals up more and be responsible for turning them against Sharkos in general' date=' which WILL lead to shark fishing being banned ? :huh: Get it into your heads that this is the thin end of a very big wedge !Its not just YOU this affects, ite's EVERY sharker and fisho out there that your comments affect !Have a read of this ;)
Mate, were not supporting the violence at all, nothing is going to happen when we are over normanville this weekend. @Ale sand does cause a problem mate, having said that your other points are spot on about the laws that is very well said indeed.It should be a chilled weekend and we are fishing off of a beach named "X" so we are not even going to be near any locals and that. Do you think we are gonna go out of our way to cause trouble, no. Why the hell would I want to screw it up for everyone mate? This is an issue that should be tackled properly when the time is right. I agree with what a lot of other people are saying on here as well. But seriously you have the wrong idea im no crook thats gonna go crown anyone that says anythng about sharking. Sorry if you got the wrong opinion, I suggest you come and meet me at one stage or anyone that thinks that I'm violent or what night. I wouldnt hurt anyone??? Whats that gonna prove?? I do not support extended verbal abuse either. So Sorry If people got the wrong idea..
:clap::clap::clap::clap: Fantastic work Sam your last post will go a long way to helping shark fishers throughout the state.My impression of you is that you are a young and very keen responsible angler - so keep up the good work, just remember that most Moderators have put in an unbeleivable amount of time and energy into keeping this site up and running and have an unbelievable passion to allow people like us to be able to come on here and have our say. :clap: But us as strikehookers we need to ensure that Sharking is around forever! I dont shark fish, but get huge enjoyment out of reading threads where members have caught large sharks and released them successfully. The importance and love of the sport can be seen by onlookers of those who participate. The huge numbers of hours put in alone makes this a very rewarding form of fishing! I take my hat off to you guys, as I dont have the patience to wait that long for a run.Anyone who is reading this forum, but is not a shark fisherman and is thinking but hold on a minute peoples lives are at risk, In my opinion you are totally incorrect. Most sharks that are responsible for human injury in Australia are Great whites, bull sharks and Tiger sharks, and the majority of sharks caught along the metro coast of Adelaide are Bronze whalers. So the chance of a shark taking a child at Normanville are extremely minimal.Bronze whalers are not responsible for any deaths of adults along the metro coastline that I know of, let alone the death of any children.Please try and identify and overcome your fears, and let rational logic dictate your future thoughts on this topic!Brett OakleyPresidentSA Red Taggers (SART)ANSA-SA

ok guys and girls where to begin.sorry that i havnt been following this post because i am computerless at the moment... hahai am not afraid to say that the news report was referring to me about the angler who pulled a knife. yes that was me and a mate down there but its not how the media would have it seem. me and a mate arrived at normanville around 6 oclock in the arvo an old guy was fishing the jetty that i had met a few nights ago while a bunch of my mates were sharking. any way we unpacked the yak and rods etc and loaded up the left side of the jetty no rods were in the water yet because we were still preparing. the old guy was fishing the right hand side of the jetty for squid on the little reef to the right. by now the time was edging closer to 7 we had a chat for a while why we prepared our SNOOK BAITS with rubberbands etc and balloons.when we were ready my mate hopped in his yak next to the jetty on the left side and i walked onto the beach and loaded his yak with my bait brick etc he paddled out about 150m to the ne side of the jetty and laid my bait out in the water with no oil.when he returned it was his baits turn i asked the old guy politely mate where just taking this bait out as far as that one can u please wind in ur line for a minute, he did know worries we set that bait up.after i arrived back on the jetty from along side the jetty i noticed that the old guys squid line had drifted over my mates shark line. just a simple crossed line which can be resulted in switching rods anyway but now he said to me can u wind that sharkline in its in my way. i said na mate sorry its out there on a brick can i just move the rod out of ur way. well i can say he didn like that he went on to sayin im sik of u shark fisherman tryn to take over MY jetty ive been fishn here for 50 years eff off eff use im sick of all of use coming down her. by all of use i guess he means every sharker that has been down normy. why should i be held responsible for every sharker it was my first time down there?? anyway i went on with my buisness about to cut a ray bait up and he said are u gonna move this rod i said no so he continued to argue by this time hes inbetween mine and my mates rod he said to me i should throw this shit in the water. i turned around he had my custom sabre nd tiagra in his hands i stood up i had the knife in my hand in not 1 way of form did i hold it towards him or threatin him with it i told him he better put it down so he dropped it and lucky i tie my rod nd reel to the jetty or the combo would of hit the floor and probs scratched my reel. he said wat are u goin to do with the knife stab me.. i said no and dropped it and i started to get aggresive with him because of what he just did i yelled at him and said hes lucky he doesnt get thrown in the water and we argued a bit longer. not once did i lay hands on him or he did to me so it was a verbal argument anyway wen my mate came up to the jetty i told him wat happened and we were thinking of leaving but we didnt so the old guy left and then next there was a cop coming down and he charged me with assult which didnt happen there was a verbal argument between 2 people. and the officer said i have to take the old guys word because i know him!!!!!so there is my version of events from that afternoon. as for shark fishing and kids i do yhave respect for children in the water but seriously why would you let your kids swim as far as 100m offshore in the afternoons. i would be concerned to for my childrens safety concerned enough to take them to the swimming centre!!! shark fisherman arnt the blame for sharks being in close. during summer as the water temperature warms up certain species will start to move closer to shore. sharks come in at this time of year as well to drop there pups and to feed on the abundance of bait. anyway the discussions could go on forever i hope most of u can understand my writing haha cheers tp

Now we know the true story and how ridiculous some old farts can be. HIS jetty?? LOL! I'm sure he paid for the maintenance, built it from scratch, etc, etc. I bet all he ever did was dirty the jetty with squid ink, some of his left over rubbish and gave the rail a few notches for his rod to sit in. Anyway, you got charged with assault. Does this mean you have to attend a court hearing or something?

ok guys and girls where to begin.sorry that i havnt been following this post because i am computerless at the moment... hahai am not afraid to say that the news report was referring to me about the angler who pulled a knife. yes that was me and a mate down there but its not how the media would have it seem. me and a mate arrived at normanville around 6 oclock in the arvo an old guy was fishing the jetty that i had met a few nights ago while a bunch of my mates were sharking. any way we unpacked the yak and rods etc and loaded up the left side of the jetty no rods were in the water yet because we were still preparing. the old guy was fishing the right hand side of the jetty for squid on the little reef to the right. by now the time was edging closer to 7 we had a chat for a while why we prepared our SNOOK BAITS with rubberbands etc and balloons.when we were ready my mate hopped in his yak next to the jetty on the left side and i walked onto the beach and loaded his yak with my bait brick etc he paddled out about 150m to the ne side of the jetty and laid my bait out in the water with no oil.when he returned it was his baits turn i asked the old guy politely mate where just taking this bait out as far as that one can u please wind in ur line for a minute' date=' he did know worries we set that bait up.after i arrived back on the jetty from along side the jetty i noticed that the old guys squid line had drifted over my mates shark line. just a simple crossed line which can be resulted in switching rods anyway but now he said to me can u wind that sharkline in its in my way. i said na mate sorry its out there on a brick can i just move the rod out of ur way. well i can say he didn like that he went on to sayin im sik of u shark fisherman tryn to take over MY jetty ive been fishn here for 50 years eff off eff use im sick of all of use coming down her. by all of use i guess he means every sharker that has been down normy. why should i be held responsible for every sharker it was my first time down there?? anyway i went on with my buisness about to cut a ray bait up and he said are u gonna move this rod i said no so he continued to argue by this time hes inbetween mine and my mates rod he said to me i should throw this shit in the water. i turned around he had my custom sabre nd tiagra in his hands i stood up i had the knife in my hand in not 1 way of form did i hold it towards him or threatin him with it i told him he better put it down so he dropped it and lucky i tie my rod nd reel to the jetty or the combo would of hit the floor and probs scratched my reel. he said wat are u goin to do with the knife stab me.. i said no and dropped it and i started to get aggresive with him because of what he just did i yelled at him and said hes lucky he doesnt get thrown in the water and we argued a bit longer. not once did i lay hands on him or he did to me so it was a verbal argument anyway wen my mate came up to the jetty i told him wat happened and we were thinking of leaving but we didnt so the old guy left and then next there was a cop coming down and he charged me with assult which didnt happen there was a verbal argument between 2 people. and the officer said i have to take the old guys word because i know him!!!!!so there is my version of events from that afternoon. as for shark fishing and kids i do yhave respect for children in the water but seriously why would you let your kids swim as far as 100m offshore in the afternoons. i would be concerned to for my childrens safety concerned enough to take them to the swimming centre!!! shark fisherman arnt the blame for sharks being in close. during summer as the water temperature warms up certain species will start to move closer to shore. sharks come in at this time of year as well to drop there pups and to feed on the abundance of bait. anyway the discussions could go on forever i hope most of u can understand my writing haha cheers tp[/quote']It seems to me that this guy (wont call him a gentlemen or an angler as he doesnt deserve that title) should have said no worries and should have just moved along over your shark line and continued to wind his rod in.Seems to me that he was totally ignorant to your cause and couldnt figure out that winding in a shark line from that distance was a poor option. No excuse for this sort of behaviour from people who should no better. There is plenty of other spots he could have continued to squid from the jetty. He should realise that sharking takes a reasonable amount of room and known that its common courtesy to accommodate by allowing space.I hope any charges dont stick, are dropped etc. Unfortunately I am unable to miss any work at the moment but if it wasnt for that, I would offer to be a character reference for you at the hearing if it makes it that far.Fingers crossed that it doesnt.Brett.

Twinpower, I have no idea how a magistrate will view events, but considering the issue as a complete outsider, when it comes to a group of virile young lads chasing sharks V one little old guy sitting on the jetty, I tend to suspect you will be behind the 8 ball to start with, as the guy would surely be seen as outnumbered, outgunned and intimidated.

I would offer to be a character reference for you at the hearing if it makes it that far.

Without witnessing what happened down there, I cant do anything to vouch for your side of the story. A character reference is something entirely different though, and I too would be happy to provide such a reference if required, especially in a case as serious as assault when a weapon is involved! And I must add, that after working this website for so long and monitoring all the posts from all our members, I can certainly vouch for your character, your dedication and your maturity. After first checking with the boss, I recon I could also provide transcripts of your past posts to verify this if required.If you need help, don't be afraid to ask!

urhookedfishIt seems to me that this guy (wont call him a gentlemen or an angler as he doesnt deserve that title) should have said no worries and should have just moved along over your shark line and continued to wind his rod in.Seems to me that he was totally ignorant to your cause and couldnt figure out that winding in a shark line from that distance was a poor option. No excuse for this sort of behaviour from people who should no better. There is plenty of other spots he could have continued to squid from the jetty. He should realise that sharking takes a reasonable amount of room and known that its common courtesy to accommodate by allowing space.

uhf what you have written here is a load of bull the bloke wasn't ignorant he was fishn there first who gives a toss how far out his bait was or how much room they need to fish for sharks if i'm fishn a section of a jetty and someone wants to plonk em selves next to me and expect me to shift cos it doesnt suite them, and it ends up in a tangle there line would be gettn cut before mine let me tell ya.sure if T.P was allowed to shift his rod it could have been easily sorted but he did shift his gear out of the way to set there baits first ;);) you gotta stop sucking up to people and think rationally about this stuff. if i pulled up to you on your rocks fishing for snapper and my line got tangled in yours, with you being there first youre gunna be happy are ya!! stop dribbling.4THA

urhookedfishIt seems to me that this guy (wont call him a gentlemen or an angler as he doesnt deserve that title) should have said no worries and should have just moved along over your shark line and continued to wind his rod in.Seems to me that he was totally ignorant to your cause and couldnt figure out that winding in a shark line from that distance was a poor option. No excuse for this sort of behaviour from people who should no better. There is plenty of other spots he could have continued to squid from the jetty. He should realise that sharking takes a reasonable amount of room and known that its common courtesy to accommodate by allowing space.

you gotta stop sucking up to people and think rationally about this stuff. if i pulled up to you on your rocks fishing for snapper and my line got tangled in yours' date=' with you being there first youre gunna be happy are ya!![b']stop dribbling[/b].And theres no need to make it personal by saying that my opinion is dribble. Totally uncalled for..you just need to mention that you dont agree4THA
Arrgggh common, you gotta be kidding me????????would love to run a poll to see if the majority think Im dribbling?who am I sucking up to? :whistle: :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:Thats the glorious part of fishing, I guess we are all entitled to an opinion. Maybe if the guy had seen it in my perspective, then there would have been no issues in the first place. :woohoo: :woohoo:But I fully respect your opinion, and your entitled to voice it.My opinion still remains the same as I hardly think that TP would have forced the guy out of his spot completelyAnd I guess im dribbling by saying anyone who calls the jetty their jetty is a few planks short of a jetty.No one owns a jetty and the guy clearly has no respect for other anglers using the jetty!Please dont make this personal by saying Im dribbling, this is the last thing we need is to be seen as infighting. All you needed to do was say that you dont agree.
Actually' date=' TP did offer to move his rod out of the way initially. He was asked to reel the line in instead. He later decided not to move his rod at all after the altercation with the old dude.This is what I got from reading TP's post.[/quote']I bet this old guy is not married, cos his negociating skills are Horrific!! :pinch: