normanville shark fishing fury

@ SamnSorry if I came across a bit harshly at you; none meant ;) Im simply trying to point out what everyone else is saying in another way :)

Actually' date=' TP did offer to move his rod out of the way initially. He was asked to reel the line in instead. He later decided not to move his rod at all after the altercation with the old dude.This is what I got from reading TP's post.[/quote']Yes, it would appear the older fellow was just being belligerent !As for assault, sureley its just his word against TPs ?As for being friends with the local boy in blue :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
I bet this old guy is not married' date=' cos his negociating skills are Horrific!! :pinch:[/quote']About time there was a lighter note to this :laugh::laugh::laugh:
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amazing! 11 pages and going... :ohmy: although everyone is and has put up good arguments over the pros and cons of shark fishing on metro jetties and the beurocrats will in the end - have their way on

Well said AFF and Jack. I am on the side of the sharkers but most are doing themselves little favours by posting what some are on here. We have a local whom is concerned about the welfare of his kids

I remember fishing the warves around the port and the metro jetties in the late eighties and early nineties when I was in high school. Some of those spots were as rough as guts with dero's punching o

Posted Images

thanks for all the response and the offers. 4tha not once did i intrude the guys space i respected that he was also tryin to fish he helped us out at first as well then our lines came into a single tangle. from ours being anchored 150m out and from his squid float that had drifted across. it was very simple to fix but he didn want to reel in his squid jag for 2 mins to fix the problem. in his eyes it was easier to wind in ours and kayak it out again. thanks tp

yeah understand that mate & i wasnt there i did state however...

4THALOVE

sure if T.P was allowed to shift his rod it could have been easily sorted but he did shift his gear out of the way to set there baits first.meaning i know its a pain in the arse for you to have to pull in all your gear but the old fella did the right thing in the first place by reeling in his line so as you could take your yak out and set the baits to start with.I'm sure if you woulda shifted or being given the chance to shift your rod before he started goin troppo it all coulda been untangled & avoided but some people are set in there ways and he probably seen it as a slight judgement of disrespect not that that was your intention, as from previous post's i know you are dedicated to your craft and avoid confrentation at all cost.so I hope you havnt seen it as a battering but from maybe a different perspective and going by your word certainly a storm in a tea cup.cheers 4THA
Guest emufingers

Well fellas I have been away for couple of days.I simply asked for a cooperative rethink about shark fishing practices at Normanville as person who lives here and who is not a member of the surf club.. I argued that Normanville is a special case because the jetty is so short and the surf lifesaving club is right next to the Jetty with its flagged area within 10 metres of the jetty. The cans used for training swimmers and board paddlers in rescue techniques are 200 metres from the waterline in order to meet training requirements for the bronze medallion. The children who swim out that distance are supervised by senior board paddlers and the surf rescue boat while a watch for sharks is kept from the viewing tower in the club room. I did not ask for a ban on shark fishing at all jetties but suggested that a 400 metre distance from the patrolled area of the beach be observed at Normanville.The arguments that have come back have been very varied and often emotive and somewhat illogical and many have been.. They have drawn the unnecessary conclusion that I was in favour of banning shark fishing on all jetties.I was told that no one had been burleying in the area by taking bait out in a kayak because one particular group didn’t do it and that is not logical and cannot be used as a basis to say that the practice has not been witnessed or occurred.I was asked if I had a PhD in marine biology. In fact I have consulted a post graduate qualified marine biologist on the issueI was asked for an example of a shark attack close to shore in this area well here is the link. It does not involve shark fishing but did occur very close to shore and appears to have been related to spearfishing although other newspaper storie do not confirm this.http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-11-08/swimmers-put-on-alert-after-shark-attack/1133640It was inferred that all swimmers in the area should purchase and wear a shark shield. In fact the Coroner in South Australia and Safework SA are currently assessing the effectiveness of the Sharksheild through research at Flinders University because existing evidence does not provide sufficient evidence for them to endorse or not endorse the Sharkshield. Even if it was shown to be effective it would be highly impractical for people swimming at Normanville to all wear a Shark shield.The argument was presented that because there is no measured change in risk of shark attack as a result of shark fishing that there was no case for managing the risk. This is in sharp contradiction to the approach that is applied in work situations and other public liability settings, I have post graduate qualifications in this area and I have attached a risk management score according to the known facts. It assesses the risk profile of a shark attack occurring at Normanville regardless of shark fishing. This risk profile shows that prevention measures are required and have in fact been put in place by the Surf lifesaving club. (See attachment)It was inferred that I was the person involved in the altercation. I was not and do not know the identity of the person. Nor do I condone any belligerent behaviour on either sideMy conclusions are thatSharkfishers on this site have very varied opinions about shark fishing and the use of burleying. Some have confirmed they use concentrated burleying techniques in the Normanville areaSuch techniques are legal but are designed to attract sharks into an area which has for many years been a patrolled lifesaving area and reflect and uncaring and irresponsible attitude by sharkfishers. The replies here are sufficiently belligerent that some respondents have advised a calmer and more reasoned approach.There is common view among the posters that if something is not illegal then it is responsible to do it even if it carries the possibility of increasing risk to others .A round table meeting could be worthwhile between sharkfishers and the Normanville Surf life saving Club, the Yankalilla Council and local police.However,I foresee a problem because there is no way any sharkfishers can vouch for the cooperation with a solution by other sharkfishers given the variety of responses and the level of belligerence by some posters.The use of violence or threat of violence or damage to property by any party is not acceptable.It is likely that there will be moves to restrict shark fishing on a wider basis if good will is not shown in this caseI ask you once again to consider ensuring that shark fishing does not occur on Normanville Jetty while there are swimmers in the near vicinity. This will probably mean limiting activity to the hours of darkness in all months other than May to October when daytime fishing would be possible.

post-7654-139623804597_thumb.jpg

Maybe the sharkers should have an "Occupy Normanville Jetty" protest :whistle: Emufingers you said you consulted a marine biologist about this issue.. What are his thoughts?I have kept my mouth shut the past few days and I will go crawl back into my hole after this as I don't want to offend anyone but this is ridiculous, Don't give in fellas. :fishing:

Guest emufingers
Maybe the sharkers should have an "Occupy Normanville Jetty" protest :whistle: Emufingers you said you consulted a marine biologist about this issue.. What are his thoughts?I have kept my mouth shut the past few days and I will go crawl back into my hole after this as I don't want to offend anyone but this is ridiculous' date=' Don't give in fellas. :fishing:[/quote']The marine biologist is a woman. Hope that is not used to dismiss her view!, which isSystematic use of baits and attractants in a local area can change the habits of marine creatures. Recently the number of cage diving ventures near Cape Neptune have been decreased because they appear to be changing GWS behaviour with respect to humans and the persistent attracting of sharks in the area seems to be changing migration patterns. Data on shark movements in St Vincent't gulf is not sufficient to make detailed comments about a small area, but data on human interactions changing the behaioural patterns of marine creatures suggest that care need to be taken.
Guest emufingers

Is that all? Nothing about recreational fishers burleying?What behavourial differences have been noted?If I come to normanville tommorow and put my line out 400m away from people swimming it will dramaticaly decrease the risk of a shark attack opposed to fishing from the jetty?

It is not a matter of one person , but developing a pattern over time. The case being made is that shark feeding and migratory behaviour can be changed by human interaction and feeding. There is an unmeasured risk and standard risk measurement suggests that this needs to be taken into consideration when deciding whether sharkfishing and recreational swimming or lifesaver training should occur in the same small area of water.As I indicated in the previous post, the migratory behaviours of GWS has been disrupted by shark cage diving operations near Neptune Island. Sharks that normally migrate out of the area have remained in the area. There is an extensive literature on changes in marine animal behaviour brought about by feeding patterns.In a a coroner's court this sort of evidence is sufficient for the coroner to consider whether person or group of persons have contributed to a death . If a death from a shark attack occurred there would be a consideration of whether there was a contribution by any party and the coroner woulld make recommendations regarding actions to be take such as changing laws and charges against one or more persons.

This is only going to get worse. Emu is coming on here on their own and portraying the issues they have. As a local and as a father. Being the fact that this particular forum has the people involved that were involved in the initial incident, this is a decent forum to act like adults and not children.Emu could have let it slide and simply called a meeting of all locals and fronted to the council. With enough signatures every one is cactus , not just the crew involved but everyone whom chooses to have a crack at a few bronzies from this particular place or even worse anywhere else.That being said i think the actions of old mate whom says he has been there for eons are wrong and it seems he is getting his way by causing such a fuss.Such a shame really when it seems there are groups of children of both sides of the argument.

emufingers, your lucky i dont wanna be banned of this site cause otherwise id lose my shit at you.you should be worried about some sick freak taking your grandchildren from the beach, not a shark attacking them,as i said so many time our baits are normally over 300m out, we normally dont burley (with fish) if we do its very minnium around sunset.your life guards are the ones that are always rude to use, paddle across our lines when they know that they are there, yet we have never touched or had a go at one of them, which is very tempting to do when my line and trace is worth over 140 bucks.you can think your a big man for this ban shark fishing debate, but i cant afford a boat and people like you are trying to take what i love doing away? just because theres a few harmless bronze whalers swimming around, we should just start going down to the jetty and smashing pills and beers seems like we wouldnt get abused for thatwhata joke all this crap is!

Some of you shark guys need to adjust your attitude me thinks' date=' you honestly think the laws wont change inrellation to sharking if this kind of stuff is continued? All it will take is a pollie that hates you guys, with a knee jerk reaction, he or she will have enough dumb voters behind them and you guys wont know how good you had it till its gone. few new players in state politics atm, Im sure some off them out to make a name for themselves I suggest you pull your heads in, use a bit of common sense and play it on the down low cos else there will be repocussions. Seen it happen with many things over the years, for example think back to the hoon laws or bikie laws. As soon as these groups got put into the media spotlights, and they played the "cant touch us" card, the pollies came down on them like a tonne of bricks. Not nessaraly for the good off the general public, but to get votes.Also, sand in your gear? Come on, thats a lame arse excuse and you know it, people fish the surf beaches using all sorts of high end saltigas and stellas all the time!! They are much more prone to damage from the elements etc. I doubt fishing off a quiet beach with a light North easterly is going to damage your brass spooled penn 6/0' whilst its sitting in a rod holder.lastly, and this will go to the guys that will flame me for this post, a bit of common cortesy to the fourm, its users and moderators wouldnt go astray.PS, sorry for the spelling mistakes, I should be working instead of typing[/quote']brass spool 6/0? queit beach? light NE? you must fish in heaven mate, try strong south westerlies and international 50s and taigras mate and maybe i like to fish on the jetty instead of a beach?

use people can talk all you want.because thats all of you are all talk and no walk nothing you say will stop us.so sick or hearing and seeing this crap go on and on.CONCLUSION EMU AND OTHER AGAINST SHARK FISHINGNothing you say nor do will stop us from shark fishingend of story if you get in our ways we are not responsible for our actions.we just want to enjoy something we love and work hard for. we dont have boats like most fishos.we do our best to have fun and achieve a challenge which we do legally.life savers have no respect. and there supposed to bee showing a example to the many peoples lives they care to protect.i think personally use all should go have a talk with the sharks themselves and as them why they come in close every year to give birth? its nature and your swimming in there backyard.get over it and grow up there is more tragic things going on around your society and community aswell as the world which are more important then fishing for sharks honestly.this thread needs to be deleted not because of the creator i give him full respect but for the people who took over it ridiculously and made it there own topic especially one person who only has made a few posts seriously.take it to the courts or councils you want get no where. you have already seen how big the fishing community is for greens aim to put in marine parks. we are strong and once we unite we wont be stopped.if we break the law we deserve to be punished but the only people breaking the law here is the ones who are touching and trespassing our property.dont start a war you cant win. its all about respecting one an another. life savers have a job to dooand that save lives ? don't think in there portfolio contract it states go over fishermen lines cut there lines report them this and that seriously do your job correctly.if thers Gold found and free for any one to go and get or course your gonna go and get it for free ?same as sharks if the treasure is around we will chase it.

Guys, I understand the frustrations this topic causes on both sides of the fence.I would like to provide you all with the chance to say your piece and air your views on the subject, but I see tempers flaring and things getting heated. So before anyone "loses their sh*t" at anyone else, and before anyone says something they may regret later which causes repercussions, as a favour to you all, I think it best that this topic be locked for 24 hours, just to give everyone time to take a breath, cool off, and collect their thoughts before we resume.I trust you consider that the fairest option for everyone.

NORMANVILLE - Yankalilla mayor Paul Newman has called for a ban on shark fishing off urban jetties and beaches, saying it is only a matter of time before it causes a tragedy.Mr Newman said shark fishing from the Normanville jetty was common practice, which put the community at risk of shark attack."The fishers have been depositing burley with fish offal to attract sharks and rays during periods when the local surf club is undertaking youth training programs adjacent the jetty."He said there did not seem to be any legislation controlling shark and ray fishing from beaches and jetties and he has written to members of parliament asking for this to be remedied.Under Fisheries regulations there is a maximum penalty of $2,500 for inappropriate burleying, including depositing the body or part of the body of a mammal in marine waters.Mr Newman said there had been reports of lamb shanks floating in the water."People in the community have had enough."Police have been called to the jetty on more than one occasion."Finniss MP Michael Pengilly said he would raise the matter in parliament and would call for more action from the Fisheries Department."The overwhelmingly stupid attempts to catch sharks and rays off Normanville Jetty during the night could potentially heavily impact on this lovely beach area during daylight hours."I am concerned that the stupid actions of a few could lead to catastrophic outcomes," he said."I urge the public to immediately notify authorities if they observe this foolish behaviour."It is simply not acceptable to lure sharks and stingrays to recreational beaches and it must stop immediately at Normanville jetty, and other similar jetties with prime beach adjacent to them."Local surf lifesaver Murray Russell said there had been a noticeable increase in shark burleying in recent weeks because weather conditions had been favourable.He said the fishers showed no common sense, burleying while junior lifesavers were in the water."It's the smallest jetty in the world and they're enticing sharks to a beach where kids are wading, let alone swimming!"He said the lifesavers took a non-confrontational approach because trying to reason with them was useless."Someone confronted them about it last week and he had a knife pulled on him."Mr Newman described some of the shark fishers' bizarre and disgusting burleying practices, including balloons left floating out in the water to create a burley trail from the gulf to the beach."Some people are catching gummy sharks, mutilating them and releasing them alive to bleed in the water."He said it was not difficult to identify shark fishers as they used ropes and hooks, but it was easy to deny responsibility for the burleying.Mr Newman said local police had been patrolling the area but were unable to do anything unless the perpetrators were caught in the act.His campaign has received widespread media attention, with coverage on television news and ABC radio.Mr Newman said he had received a positive response from the Greens, Family First and local Liberal MP Michael Pengilly."But we can't just leave it to politicians. I'm asking for people across the Fleurieu to write and call for action on this."One day something will go badly wrong and they'll ask why we let it happen."

http://www.victorharbortimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/shark-bait-fury/2361238.aspx?storypage=0

:evil: :evil: This is JUST ANOTHER CASE WHERE WORDSMITHS CAN MAKE AN EMOTIONAL SITTUATION SOUND A MILLION TIMES WORSE THAN WHAT IT IS IN REALITY, and SIMPLE SCAREMONGERING CAN HAVE THE POPULATION WHIPPED INTO PANIC FOR LITTLE REASON.THIS IS A MAJOR CROCK. POLITICIANS HAVE HAD THE WOOL PULLED OVER THERE EYES BY PANIC STRICKEN PEOPLE THAT USE NO LOGIC WHAT SOEVER. BRONZE WHALERS AND GUMMIES ARE NOT GOING TO HARM PEOPLE! FULL STOP!I am appauled that Michael Penguilly who normally supports fisherman has adopted this stance and has not even suggested communicating with fisherman before adopting his position.Im disgusted and upset for the Majority of law abiding and responsible shark fisherman that fish along our entire coastline! :evil: :evil: :evil: I would strongly suggest that all fisherman follow the link the the Victor harbour times article and express your disgust by commentingBrett OakleySA Red Taggers (SART)ANSA-SA

Made a reply on this other topic but since this topic is re-opened, I'd post my comment here:Only a matter of time I suppose before the mayor did this. Wasn't surprising. Unfortunate incident though. Best to avoid this jetty and fish somewhere else with less publicity. Seems like they're trying to get shark fishing banned on other jetties. Being aggressive wouldn't help the sharkos' cause now. Best to suck it in and move on, let things simmer down. Most important of all, no more shark pictures in the papers. Henley and Grange seem to be next....On a side note, I have seen some rather aggressive sharkos. They aren't teens. People in their 30s - 40s. Wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones doing the illegal burleying. The few times I've been on the jetty with teenage sharkos, they've been really responsible. I saw no burleying. Just baited balloons. Unfortunately, the act of a few irresponsible people spoils the fun for the rest of us. Rather sad...On the news, catching a gummy shark and mutilating it? Are those journos interviewing people with a screw loose? I've only ever read of fishos KEEPING gummies since they are the few sharks that make for a good feed. I may be wrong but if I were lucky enough to land a gummy, that shark's not going back in the water. It's as precious as the KGs to me. Perhaps these people are confusing Port Jacksons with gummies. Wouldn't be surprised if that were the case...

What did I say yesty? amazing, mustve had a crystal ball!!I think for the better of this forum and all serious, responsible Skark fishos,this thread should be deleted or at least several posts removed. The spotlight is now well and truelly on, and plenty of posts in this thread are doing much more harm than good for our cause.I bet you my left nut many of you guys wouldn't say half the things you do behind a keyboard to peoples faces,much less bravado Next time your about to click send at the end of a post youve typed, think "would I say this to some ones face" and if not, I suggest you dont hit send.....media, beat up, doesnt happen often, much :whistle: :whistle:

Some of the Sharkers need to be able to get their point of view across as well. The Mayor of Normanville cannot be the only voice that the public will hear, surely? The media jumps all over one side of the story while conveniently overlooking the other side. I am not a Sharker but I am appalled at how far this has gone (going by what was written in the Victor Times). Letting it cool down and fishing elsewhere may not be the right thing to do seeing that this has gotten as much media coverage as it has. There will be more than usual of a focus on Sharking everywhere because of this coverage. Besides, some of these Sharkers (The responsible ones I mean) may not be able to afford to go further away to fish for Sharks and Rays in more quiet locations. Looking through the net and the GSAF (Global Shark Attack Files) there has been very few Shark Attacks along Adelaide beaches with the last known being that attack that occured off West Beach where that one bloke was taken by a GW. Sharking has been a common thing for many, many years. So why the focus now? Is it possibly Green groups stirring trouble that are linked in with the MPA and NTZ's?And I don't quite understand how someone can be charged with a crime such as assault, when there is no proof, but is based on the fact that the officer of the law 'knows' one of the people involved. To me, that is not upholding the law in a lawful manner that considers both parties.

What did I say yesty? amazing' date=' mustve had a crystal ball!!I think for the better of this forum and all serious, responsible Skark fishos,this thread should be deleted or at least several posts removed. The spotlight is now well and truelly on, and plenty of posts in this thread are doing much more harm than good for our cause.I bet you my left nut many of you guys wouldn't say half the things you do behind a keyboard to peoples faces,much less bravado Next time your about to click send at the end of a post youve typed, think "would I say this to some ones face" and if not, I suggest you dont hit send.....media, beat up, doesnt happen often, much :whistle: :whistle:[/quote']what you trying to say mate? dont see where your coming from with this keyboard warrior stuff? if anyone approaches me at the jetty, i would say the extact same thing i have on here.

By fishing somewhere else, it's to avoid confrontation. After a news release like that, you're bound to have a lot of anti-sharko vigilante idiots out there. Don't put yourself and your $1000++ equipment in danger. You can put forth your point of views without purposely heading to a location knowing you'll get yourself into a fight. At the end of the day, if you land a punch on some idiot who touches your rod, you'll make yourself look worse thanks to the media. Also, the more likely charge will be for assault rather than tampering with another person's fishing equipment illegally seeing that one can be concretely proven with marks and bruises whereas the other is most likely hearsay. Put forth your point of view through either the media, the appropriate people/organisation/clubs and of course if you want, a non-aggressive rally. Educate the public through fairs or any other activities. Just don't purposely go up to the jetty to prove a point. You'll be doing no one else except these anti-sharkos and the media a huge favour.

what you trying to say mate? dont see where your coming from with this keyboard warrior stuff? if anyone approaches me at the jetty' date=' i would say the extact same thing i have on here.[/quote']If thats the case mate, post away, speak your mind, and be prepared to back your actions face to face if confronted. You and some others are coming across as very passionate, vocal, liberal and angryAll traits that the media and pollies will turn into “violent” and “non conforming”, believe me!!!If your abiding by the law, good, keep doing so, but don’t stretch friendships and push boundaries, else the boundaries will be moved and you will then have “no playground” at all.The forum is on your side, but tone it down, pull your heads in and lay low until it blows over.Adelaide is a small place, where single people with lots of pull will make things happen with enough backing and ammunition, don’t give them anymore.This works both ways tho, and I suggest a round table amongst you land based fishos, use you smarts and stand a united and well thought out, logical plight, backed up with facts and reason.If called upon, you then have options. Even then it may not get you guys what you need, but if you guys keep going this way, your days of jetty or land based sharking may be over. Personally, Im on your side! I ve never been seriously land based sharking, but as a kid used to spend many a day on rapid bay and Normie jetties with my old man sharing the planks with you guys. I must say, big reels, big baits and knives, all things that you need for this angling, can be quite confronting to the uneducated ( as I was as a kid). Its the norm for you guys and all essentials parts, but not all people know this, so maybe act specially nice to the old man getting a feed of gar, or the middle aged man with his kid trying to get a feed of squid. You don’t have to, I know, but goes a long wayLastly, in regards to assault charge, if it truly went how TP is describing, get yourself a good lawyer and it will get thrown out of court, old mate knows the copper, but not the judge. If TP's mate saw it all happen like told, that’s 2 peoples against 1, no brainer. Having said, it may also depend on how far all this goes in the media, unfortunately TP may be made a scapegoat or example off by the judge if they fell passionate about it. Again, tread carefully guys, your actions could effect the outcome of one of your "brothers" charge

This is a ticking time bomb.Whether what has been portrayed in the media is a a fair account or not, a perception is being formed, and formed quickly.You think there is heat on you guys now for land based shark fishing?..... god forbid should someone be killed or attacked by a shark somewhere along our coast..... think about the hackles that will raise, considering it's already being negatively portrayed in the media and I think you will find this issue will escalate quick smart - for the worse.Don't take this post the wrong way fellas, I'm not against shark fishing and an avid fisherman myself. But I think it would be a good time now to lay low and use your brains, not your mouths.

The news article is exactly how "it" starts...and what did I say about bipartisan political support?pikkOn

Only a matter of time I suppose before the mayor did this. Wasn't surprising. Unfortunate incident though. Best to avoid this jetty and fish somewhere else with less publicity. Seems like they're trying to get shark fishing banned on other jetties. Being aggressive wouldn't help the sharkos' cause now. Best to suck it in and move on, let things simmer down. Most important of all, no more shark pictures in the papers. Henley and Grange seem to be next....

Forum posting of latest C&R efforts unfortunately in the same category as

no more shark pictures in the papers

I too am tempted to say "Move it for now or lose it"...except I suspect that unfortunately the real miscreants would probably not visit this forum anyway - even if everyone reading this site applied more discretion for a while there are others out there for whom that word probably does not exist..."Not doing nothin illegal, maate, wot ya gunna do about it!!??"And they would be strictly speaking correct - for now, but watch this space fellas...just one shark attack or even a couple of close-to-shore sightings (whether fishing related or not) and I have a feeling you will see some pretty impressive regulatory "fast-tracking"...It is a rather PC 21st century world we are living in, sad to say a minority don`t realise it.

Just don't purposely go up to the jetty to prove a point. You'll be doing no one else except these anti-sharkos and the media a huge favour.

Wise words - certain parties would love to get some publicity to support their cause given that the MP zoning Public Consultation period is imminent.Timing is everything... they will be very grateful for the opportunity an over-publicised verbal altercation has given them to possibly escalate that to the next level of "violent redneck fishos" belting someone.Speaking of zoning - have a look at the attachment. Would not be hard to permit shore based fishing (including jetties, that one has been repeatedly promised ad nauseam!) but how about a HPZ up to 1km offshore between Christies and Wirrina where targeting sharks specifically is precluded?Could be considered given recent events.They can`t use that rationale for metro thankfully because there are no MPs in that part of the world...then again, a little change to the Fishing Regs...not to mention the Council By-Laws vehicle???"But it`s legal, maaate!" won`t cut it thereafter....

MPA_15_E_BW_Geo_A4.pdf

To all the sharkers, below is a copy of an email I have just sent to SARFAC asking for support of shark fishing.To: Sarfac@bigpond.comHi Gary, I’m not sure if you are aware but there is a storm in a tea cup brewing over shark fishing by younger anglers off the Normanville Jetty. This has slowly been gaining momentum over the last few weeks.The surf lifesaving club is claiming that illegal burleying is likely to attract sharks that could kill or injure their kids.They are clearly playing the fear card as we all know that the only species of sharks that are likely to kill or injure their children is Great Whites, and there has been no reports of Great Whites Sharks close to jetties along our entire coastline in many years!The likelihood of one of their children being attacked by either a Gummy or Bronze whaler shark totally negligible.Shark fisherman are being portrayed in a very NEGATIVE fashion by the media in the Victor Harbour times, and this is unjustified and causing the public to be scare mongered to the point where logical rational regarding shark injury risks are being overlooked, because as you know it’s hard to talk reason with someone who is gripped by fear.Here is the article if you are yet to see it.http://www.victorharbortimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/shark-bait-fury/2361238.aspxAs the President of SA Red Taggers which is an ANSA-SA Affiliated club, I am asking for SARFACs urgent support on this matter. The member for Finniss (Michael Penguilly) has been quick to jump on the shark fisherman and crucify them before there voice is heard. These are responsible young anglers that are fishing within the law. Any cases of illegal burleying have been by unknown fisherman and we are totally against this irresponsible behaviour, but the majority of shark anglers on the forum Strike n Hook fish using only legal burleying techniques.I ask that SARFAC acts on this information and provides its support on this as soon as possible before Laws are passed to ban shark fishing at Normanville and then possibly other local beaches.This will be a travesty of justice based on irrational scaremongering if it goes ahead, and would take away an activity that gives anglers great pleasure and satisfaction. As you know our sport is fighting for recognition from the government and if this ban succeeds it will be a blow for the recreation of fishing!Brett OakleyPresidentSA Red Tagger (SART)ANSA-SA

Well lets look at the statistics by your own risk management then:Chance of encountering a shark while swimming - ConceivableExposure - FrequentConsequence - FatalityObviously we should stop swimming near the ocean right? Maybe only swim in area's 400m inland away from the coast to be safe.Chance of crashing a car while driving - Remote PossibilityExposure - FrequentConsequence - Multiple FatalitiesOh no! We should all stop driving! Cars should be banned!The point I raised is that the increased risk from shark fishing activities is so negligible to be undetectable. There has been zero fatal casualties of swimmers within 400m of jetties in SA. Zero. There was one in the shark attack file with a swimmer going into the surf hitting a shark with a piece of wood and getting predictably bitten on the hands. All the rest of the 'incidents' near jetties have been shark fishermen not handling their catch correctly.On the other hand there have been several fatal incidents and injuries on surf beaches nowhere near jetties. Which is strange considering that shark fishermen have been fishing and burlying off of those jetties since they were built while the open beaches have not (at least nowhere near as much).But I guess working in the public liability risk management field you have a different perspective of risk. I mean I bought a chair recently and was told by the warehouse manager he couldn't help up carry it across the street to our car because of Occ. Health and Saftey, insurance wouldn't cover being hit by a car in the DESERTED back street between the warehouse door and the car, parked on the other side of the road. Plus all those councils being sued for things such as footpaths that were a whole 2cm above level creating a tripping hazard. Because obviously its the councils fault for people not looking where they are walking.It exactly that approach to risk management that pisses everyone off because ultimately risk cannot be averted. Ever. You can spend as much, regulate as much and ban as much as you want. Risk cannot be taken to zero. But how much does it cost, inconvenience and piss people off to reduce a nearly non-existent risk to a nearly non-existent risk? What is the reduction in risk to the cost of action? Because considering zero fatalities of swimmers near jetties over the history of the state that is a pretty non-existent risk and there is no statistics or otherwise showing that banning shark fishing in an are would reduce it further, compared with the inconvenience caused to all people who enjoy shark fishing and the costs in enforcing a ban on shark fishing.

I cant really top such a great post by Sbarnden!. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: But, I have received a response from Sarfac which I will post below.Thanks BrettThis has happened in other regions, in fact it goes back many years with some surf life saving clubs.I have forwarded your email onto SARFAC Executive members and will keep you posted, thanksGaryGary FlackExecutive OfficerSouth Australian Recreational Fishing Advisory Council Inc.Marine House300 Morphett StreetAdealaide SA 5000Web-site: www.sarfac.comAt least we know that Sarfac Executive members have now been made aware of the situation.Brett.Again Sbarden, I must again thank you for a fantastic post mate! :clap::clap::clap: