normanville shark fishing fury

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amazing! 11 pages and going... :ohmy: although everyone is and has put up good arguments over the pros and cons of shark fishing on metro jetties and the beurocrats will in the end - have their way on

Well said AFF and Jack. I am on the side of the sharkers but most are doing themselves little favours by posting what some are on here. We have a local whom is concerned about the welfare of his kids

I remember fishing the warves around the port and the metro jetties in the late eighties and early nineties when I was in high school. Some of those spots were as rough as guts with dero's punching o

Posted Images

At the end of the day there is no recorded shark attacks off a metro beach' date=' where shark fishing has always been around' date=' and since the sharks have been on the planet.[/quote'']In South Australia there have been a total of 46 shark attacks, 20 of them fatal, with the last being at West Beach in 2004.http://adl.brs.gov.au/brsShop/data/12984_attacks_sharks.pdfAustralia wide and since records were first kept, there have been a total of 639 shark attacks, with 190 of them being fatal.
According to the ASAF, there have been 61 recorded humanfatalities due to shark attack in the last 50 years (as for Dec2004). Of these, 22 have occurred in Queensland, 16 in SouthAustralia, nine in New South Wales, 7 in Western Australia,4 in Tasmania, and 3 in Victoria (Table one). No fatal attackshave been recorded in the Northern Territory in that timeperiod.
Although Australia continues to have a bad reputationconcerning the threat of shark attacks to swimmers, thestatistics do not support these contentions. In the last 50 years,there have been only 61 human fatalities (an average of 1.22per year) in Australian waters from shark attack. Some yearsthere are none, other years there have been up to three in ayear, but the average remains around one per year. Yet eachyear hundred thousands of swimmer-days take place on ourbeaches, harbours and rivers and the number is increasing withboth increasing population and tourism.Prevention of shark attacksShark attacks remain a genuine but unlikely danger for humansentering the water. However, this does not mean that peopleshould disregard the likelihood of an attack by swimmingoutside the protection of the patrolled beaches, or whereprotected swimming areas are installed. It must be rememberedthat there is a much higher risk of drowning while swimmingthan from being killed in an encounter with a shark. As moreknowledge is acquired about the shark’s normal behaviour andthe circumstances surrounding attacks, it may be possible in thefuture to develop an effective repellent (some electric impulsedevices are currently on the market).The best prevention is to use common sense related to where aperson swims and what activities they undertake whilst in thewater. Awareness of what may invite or provoke an attack willassist in deciding where to go and what to do in the water. Thefollowing points highlight some of these considerations:• Do not swim, dive or surf where dangerous sharks areknown to congregate, such as canal developments inSouthern Queensland.• Always swim, dive or surf with other people prefereably atpatrolled beaches.• Do not swim while bleeding.• Do not swim in dirty or turbid water.• Avoid swimming well offshore, near deep channels, at rivermouths or along drop-offs to deeper water.• If schooling fish start to behave erratically or congregate inlarge numbers, leave the water.• Do not swim with pets and domestic animals.• Look carefully before jumping into the water from a boat orwharf.• If possible do not swim at dusk, dawn or at night whensome sharks may be more active.• Do not swim near people fishing or spearfishing.• If a shark is sighted in the area leave the water as quicklyand calmly as possible.• Do not wear jewellery or shiny objects as the reflectionscould be mistaken for those from fish scales.• Do not swim near fur seal colonies especially during thepupping season.
I've taken the liberty of highlighting a few points which I think are important relating to Normanville issue.....as the patrolled beach there happens to be right alongside the jetty.
notice how it says do not swim instead of do not go shark fishing.

JETTY FISHERS REMINDED OF RESPONSIBILITIESFisheries Minister Gail Gago has ordered an immediate education campaign to remind recreationalfishers of their responsibilities when fishing from jetties.Ms Gago said she was concerned at media reports that sharks were possibly being lured towardsshore in populated areas.“Berleying is illegal if animal blood or bone is used, however it is not an offence to dispose of fishwaste in the water,” the Minister said.“Fisheries officers are closely monitoring the situation at metropolitan jetties, and along withFishcare volunteers, will actively engage with fishers to remind them of their responsibilities.“We encourage fishers to be considerate of other marine users and to not do anything that mayattract sharks or put people at risk.”Ms Gago said she welcomed community input on the rules and regulations regarding fishing fromjetties.“I have referred this issue to the next meeting of the state’s Fisheries Council on Wednesday,” theMinister said.“I have asked the Fisheries Council to consider and propose options for a discussion paper.“Options may include reducing the hook size that is allowed to be used or limiting the hours inwhich people may use larger hooks.“Fishing is a significant recreational activity and it would be a shame to restrict people’s enjoyment inany way just because a few individuals are doing the wrong thing.”SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.....IF THAT ARGUMENT IS WHAT IS TAKEN TO THE TABLE THEN THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT - THERE IS NO BLOOD BAITING GOING ON OFF THE JETTIES THAT ARE IN QUESTION HERE AND AGAIN - NOTHING TO ATTRACT SHARKS TO THE AREA....THE ONLY SHARKS THAT WILL BE HOOKED ARE SHARKS THAT ARE ALREADY IN THE AREA....THE HOOK SIZE THING HAS GOT ME WONDERING THOUGH???? WHAT CAN THAT POSSIBLY ACCOMPLISH??? LESS HOOKUPS??? MORE POSSIBILITY OF LOSING A FISH??? AND I DO HOPE THE FISHERIES OFFICERS DO THEIR JOB - REMINDING ONLOOKERS OF THEIR RIGHTS....THE SHARKERS KNOW THEIRS...THAT LAST PARAGRAPH HAS GOT ME WONDERING??? WHAT INDUVIDUALS DID THE "WRONG" THING????I HOPE ALL GOES WELL AT THE MEETING TODAY AND COMMON SENSE PREVAILS - THE ONLY WAY TO KEEP SHARKS OUT OF THE DESIGNATED SWIMMING AREA MS GAGO IS TO NET THE AREA - FISHERMEN OR NO FISHERMAN - THE SHARKS WILL BE ATTRACTED TO THE SWIMMERS..

Hahahaha I'M NOT DEAF!But back on topic, I really doubt there are that many people doing the wrong thing. Has anyone actually been caught recently? I reckon it is onlookers who disapprove and decide to spread the false information.This will always be a hot topic but at least the fisheries minister has it right :) Safe for now lads

NOW, WHERE IS THAT BLOODY CAPS LOCK KEY? ;) GDK

THE HOOK SIZE THING HAS GOT ME WONDERING THOUGH???? WHAT CAN THAT POSSIBLY ACCOMPLISH??? LESS HOOKUPS??? MORE POSSIBILITY OF LOSING A FISH???

You got it, dude, that is most likely the intent.Because if you are to be "discouraged" from fishing for sharks off jetties, what`s the bet a maximum legally allowable [for jetties] Size 4 or 6 will be deemed adequate for the odd mully? Or even a 2, given what one is likely to catch off a metro jetty for the most part...and I sure hope this potential Brave New World will only apply to metro.Don`t be surprised if there is a "no wire trace permitted on jetties" gem imminent, too...don`t really need a wire trace for anything other than you-know-what. :whistle: