Garfish Rollmops?

Traditionally rollmops are made from herrings (an oily fleshed fish), but I cant see why Garfish couldn't make a good substitute. Any small bones remaining would also be softened/dissolved by the vinegar.Here's a very simple recipe:Method- Fillet the herrings Garfish very thoroughly.- Sprinkle each fillet with a few peppercorns and a little salt.- Roll them up tightly and pack into jars.- Add 1 chilli and a few onion rings to each jar.- Cover with white wine vinegar.- Leave in the fridge for about 5 days.- They are then ready to eat.- Delicious with sour cream.

• 2 weeks later...

Well 1 week on & i said i'd let you know how i go. Last week i filletted 8 Gar, sprinkled them with cracked black pepper & sea salt. Rolled them up & placed them in a jar. Covered with white vinegar, i had no onion in the house, so placed some large lemon pieces in the space left & popped them in the fridge.1 week passed & tonight i tried them on some ryvita with some cream cheese.....Simple & delicious :P Can't wait to get out & snare a few more mini marlin & experiment with different vinigers & additives. Maybe Capers, chillis, onion.Thoroughly recommend anyone to give it a go. Please post up your concoctions :)

• 3 weeks later...

My job for Xmas lunch is to provide the seafood, :dry: so when I read this topic yeterday, it inspired me to defrost some Gar and have a go. I now have a large jar of Rollmop Garfish in the fridge using Rangers first recipe. :) Looking forward to trying them on Xmas day along with smoked Tommies, Crabs(caught tomorrow, hopefully :boat: ) and a rugger Snapper that's in the freezer. :woohoo: Bring on Xmas. :f :d/:sun:;)