First Fish On Fly!!

G'day Everyone....Finished work at 11 am this morning and thought a quick flick to practice my casting before the wind got up!......It was raining well spitting a bit but as long as its not windy i don't care....down to sellicks very low tide waded out on the reef there.....as soon as i started trying to spot fish and tie on a fly what happens wind comes up! Fark!!!!!!......Put on a gold and what gotcha and as soon as my fly hit the water maybe a 5 metre cast if that and a nice little salmon charged it!....my first decent fish on my fly rod.... took me a good 5 mins to get it in over the reef with a few nice runs in water about 1 metre deep...... only a had a 4 lb tippet on! anyways i was pretty stoked! i walked back to the car and that was it!Cheers!

2_2011-11-25.JPG

Nice fish mate. Would've pulled a bit on fly tackle that's for sure. Great work. You must be proud as punch :fishing::fishing::clap: Did it rain down that way?

yeah mate plenty of rain yesterday it just drizzled all day......Yeah really love the fly fishing now I've started but just such a lack of options it sucks! wish there was a trout fishing lake where i could practice!....no way good enough to cast in rivers where there are to many trees

Nice fish mate. Would've pulled a bit on fly tackle that's for sure. Great work. You must be proud as punch :fishing::fishing::clap: Did it rain down that way?

yeah mate plenty of rain yesterday it just drizzled all day......Yeah really love the fly fishing now I've started but just such a lack of options it sucks! wish there was a trout fishing lake where i could practice!....no way good enough to cast in rivers where there are to many trees
plenty of SAFWAA dams with big trout to have a crack at ;) worth the money :)
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done Trouthunter, feels great don't it?I did the same thing (read my thread about 8 down from this one (St. Kilda)).I feel your enthusiasm. I started by joining SAFWAA and went to a 'come try fly fishing' day and now a year on and I've got 3 rods (4,6 and 8wt) and there are dams just around the corner from you literally.As it has been said, you don't have to go to the meeting but you would be missing out on cheap gear and free advice on your passion or just read the threads on the SAFWAA site (They're more forthcoming with locations and advice on technique etc 'cause you're one of the brotherhood of SAFWAA B) )Spend the money, join the club and I'll see you on a SAFWAA dam sometime B)

• 4 weeks later...

yeah Echosystm it is a frustrating game i must say......But i have only just started out and i would have to say the hardest part is just getting the right weather and the time to match up to get out there and give it ago...... For a first timer like me just to brake the ice i would target salmon trout...they hit almost anything and with plastics I've had good kilo salmon trout within a very easy flick of pt willing beach. Sometimes you can even get behind them and get herd them back to shore.I caught my salmon on a gold and white clouser minnow.Ive found everything to be much harder with a fly rod and as i can't cast with any wind it doesn't leave a lot of chances to fish living south of Adelaide. I have Caught a salmon, a few real tiny salmon trout and a tommie in the onk around the mouth area. The last attempt i fished for 3 hours down at sellicks and got 1 puff fish hahah frustrating when you know a plastic would have done a lot better.The thing that i find hard about fly fishing as a beginner is covering ground.... it really is more of a sight fishing game and thats hard to come by on the metro coast.I was hoping to land some bream around old norlunga but the way thats fishing at the moment i can't get any love on the plastics so i don't know how I'm going to get any with the fly rod!I wanted to chase yellow fin whiting on the fly rod now thats a challenge!...... Its a bit negative but after being over to coffin bay and port lincon national park....it isn't so much the skill its just the bloody lack of fish around this side of the gulf:(keep in touch with the progress cheersTrouthunter