Which 4WD for Fishing ?

Or mount the 2nd battery in the rear, close to the fridge so dont lose any voltage drop to the fridge.

Sounds like a good idea, but there is a reason why most people mount their batteries outside the vehicle cabin, and that's because of the gases that get produced from wet cell batteries. Some deep cycle batteries (like AGM's) don't produce gas so would be fine inside a vehicle. If you go down this path just make sure you have the appropriate battery type. On another forum a fella detailed how he spent a few days in hospital with chemical burns to his osophagus and lungs from the fumes that he inhaled whilst driving from his cabin mounted batteries. It's definately something to be aware of.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you say "for fishing trips" I can only imagine this means beach driving. If that IS the case, it's got me buggered why everyone is recommending a big heavy Patrol which is gonna bog down.I'd be l

Gday mate, I own a yota 4runner v6 (dual fuel) - bought it at 138,000 and it has now ticked over to 450,000 and all I have done is put gas heads on it and extractors - it has gone anywhere i have aske

Used to have a 94 4runner and it was tough .... on my wallet Auto Petrol and 20 Litres to the 100I recently got a turbo Diesel Paj 3.2 litre Auto and I love it. 94 litre tank and I get 900km on a tank

Posted Images

If this is to be a car to last and never sell again, get a GQ patrol or 80 series landcruiser.Landcruisers however have a massive 'landcruiser' tax, Patrols are much better value and just as, and some would argue more, capable due to their rear diff LSD and solid axle (100 series landcruiser has front IFS no thanks)For 10k I would be looking for a 4.2 Diesel GQ with around 300,000 km's on it well looked after. They exist.I got a 2000 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel off my girlfriends dad and it had 355,000KM on it with a full service history. NOTHING has ever broken major (touch wood) it is still on it's original clutch. I take this out all the time on sand (robe, coffins, lincoln, yalata etc) and trips and I have not got bogged yet. I have regularly pulled mates Landrovers, Hilux's, Prado's and 80 series petrol cruisers out of trouble over and over again. These things are built to last, you would never know the KM's on it without looking. I love the Patrol's, best value serious 4wd by far and once you catch the 4x4 bug and start to want a few mods, patrols and landcruisers are 100x cheaper and easier to mod and don't cost as much as other random 4x4 brands.On another note a recent 4x4 club trip I did out of all the 35+ 4x4's there, the only cars to get up some of the most challenging sand hillclimbs at Robe were 3 GU patrols (including mine) and 1 100 series landcruiser with 50k ++ of mods and an aftermarket turbo. Countless other types (hilux's, navara's, jeeps, landrovers, 80 series cruiser etc) could not get through a lot of stuff the patrols were eating up.All that being said though, a lot of it also obviously comes down to the driver :) but I guess decent drivers choose their favorite cars too.. :P

Also just a heads up, make sure you buy a diesel 4x4. Once you have diesel you just can't go back, it is THAT much better for a 4x4.+ better fuel economy (HUGE difference in large 4x4's, dealbreaker alone)+ less electronics+ far better torque where you need it+ doesn't need to be thrashed to get that torque+ lasts forever longer than a petrol+ fuel available everywhere in AU+ much better on other parts ie clutch+ less stress on the car+ runs so much better loaded up as torque is in the low revs+ better for cruising+ plays much nicer with water- Can be extremely slow up blacktop hills depending on the diesel engine type and weight of the car!My 2 cents