Braid on an overhead reel?

Hey GF.I use 20lb Platypus braid on one of my ABU7000 reels and it works just fine. There is only a problem when it overruns and the usual 'Birds nest' happens. Thankfully, not often. But you do get that with mono as well as you no doubt already know. I find that the Platypus Superbraid is great on this particular reel. I run mono on most of my other overheads. I do have a 5600C3 that has braid on it but I'm not sure what brand. Was on it when I bought it. It tends to 'stick' a fair bit casuing the spool to'rock' back and forth when casting, having the tendency to cause tangles / birds nests. Even with the spool brakes set appropriately (set by tackleshop people) and it overruns a hell of a lot even with thumb braking or it casts quite poorly. I would say be wary of exactly what brand of braid you are buying and you should be right.

Mono backing or electrical tape around the spool so that it doesn't slip, and spool it tightly under tension.It might be best to get the tacklestore to spool it with bulk braid, so that the spool is completely filled, and that will save you trying to guesstimate how much line you will need.

Hi Guyswanting to upgrade my mono line on my overhead to braid.few people tell me to becareful coz it can tangle easy.suggestions/thoughts? :silly:

Been fishing braid on the snapper rods for a few years now and seriously thinking about changing back.Had a few issues recently while fishing 2 rods each (4 total) out of the boat especially in deep water where it gives the fish more time to catch the other lines.The tangles are shocking with braid compared to mono but all part and parcel if you are prepared to use it.In saying all this... I still love braid and will have to have a few serious sessions on each to compare before I make the decision to change or not.
Mono backing or electrical tape around the spool so that it doesn't slip' date=' and spool it tightly under tension.It might be best to get the tacklestore to spool it with bulk braid, so that the spool is completely filled, and that will save you trying to guesstimate how much line you will need.[/quote']I've been using braid on overhead/baitcasters for years, usually just for lure casting, for bait I prefer mono. Follow the advice Ranger has given and you should be fine.