rigging up a popper?

hey guys gave a crack at popper fishing off the beach for some whiting the first time today, just wondering how people set up their rigs. seems like the popper isnt always tracking properly and wondering if my setup had anything to do with it?anyone else had much luck with poppers before, a trace still a good idea?cheers,keg

Yeh Side to side doesn't phase me too much, it's when it dives under water and doesn't skim the surface. Trying a lot of different techniques to try keep it on top. Just had the line straight to the popper is how it was rigged. I went at semaphore off the beach at 830am, no luck. But I don't reckon much was around. I started off with a bit of left over blood worms I still had no bites at all, then went to popper. No luck again. Prob fished for 90 mins, tide was flowing out. Not best conditions I guess. Next time I might stick to the worms, when I know the fish are def around swap to popper. Might try again tomorrow arvo, keep u posted

reduce the length of your leader size fella to only about a foot or so... that way the line doesnt sink as quick..also ive heard another way to combat that is to just directly tie the popper to braid as braid floats... but... dont know how try it is or not... as for techniques it very with each popper..best thing to do is to keep the popper moving. they are not like bream.. keep it moving but dont go too fast that they cant catch it....but vary the speed up...what sort of popper are you using??

YFW on poppers is great fun but ive found the tide needs to have just turned to run in and you can see the schools moving up onto the flats (big thanks to HookinPylons for showing me his spot! :clap::clap: ) I've got some new ones for U. Btw everyone the Port is full of them! Back to topic, I use a sinking style popper while HP uses a floating type he can get away with a stop/start while i need to keep the lure moving to work it properly. I think the most important thing when doing this kind of fishing is that the fish are actively feeding (tide related) When the school sees your popper and 1 or 2 fish peel off to have a look chances are you wont get a strike imo, what you want is 10 or so fish all trying to beat the rest and this makes very entertaining fishing. HP also uses a mono leader not fluro as it floats better. Good luck

thanks for the help guys. i had a quick try yesturday arvo but the conditions were terrible, extremely windy and tide was quite low. i was able to walk out to some banks and cast towards the shore with the wind, but no luck. tried worms aswell but i just dont think anything was around. going to have another shot tonight as sun goes down i think.any rough ideas as where i could find them in the port :Dkeg

Lads are onto it. I always use a small loop knot and keep my leader short, the lngest would be 2 foot but that is to save tying new ones all the time :)There are quite a few clips and articles on the net if you've ever got the time to hunt around related to the topic and want to learn a bit more.You'll develop a rhythm in your retrieve that makes it a lot more fun and productive :)Persist! It's a great way to fishSquid