Running sinker on braid for snapper

I always rig with 2 snelled circles chasing snapper. Either hook can hook the fish and it is really rare to gut hook (although it does still happen)

about a month ago moggy23, HSVLS19 & myself had one of those sessions that was bananas on the snaps we would have hooked around 30 fish easily, out of all of them we had 3 big ones 90cm + gut hooked and 8 smaller ones gut hooked all using single 6/0 & 8/0 circles, we were surprised to end up with that many knowing how good the lip hook rate is with them :blink: it was a little dissapointing not being able to return more but all have been eaten now atleast B)B) cheers 4THA

I've had a few single circle gut hooks. Bloody annoying as i hate releasing fish when they are gut hooked :(

"Gut Hook" .... okay! This is telling you that they really enjoyed your bait! ... maybe try something less satisfying to a snapper like half a pilly and they won't scoff it down! :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :lol: :sick: :woohoo: :whistle:
No way I'll stick to the fresh slimes, squid and the home made berley :P:laugh:;)B)

4THA,Circles snelled work the same as normal suicide hooks. Its the fact that the pull from the drag is supposed to hook them up in the corner of the mouth is not always perfect especially when they are in feeding mode. When this happens its every fish for themselves and if there is food to be eaten then the biggies will come in and inhale it and swallow it as quickly as possible. If your bait is small enough for this to happen and the circles you use are small as well then yes they will get gut hooked. If you upgrade the circle size and just pin it out side the head you reduce the gut hooking in those situations. So I change rigs once they go from shy to ravenous by going single bigger hook that is not buried in the bait.Cheers

• 1 month later...

Any reason why you use those hawaiin clips instead of snap swivels?

The baid doesn't get hooked up in the Hawaiian as it does with most clips,There are only 2 Hawaiian clips on the market that are worth buying, the Shoguns and Yo zuri, they don't have any protruding parts for the braid to get caught in them when the line gets slack Shoguns are cheaper and no one stocks them in Adelaide. B)Also like Just Me said "Reliability and strength. I've had too many snap swivels let go on anything half decent". :clap::clap:

where can one purchase them from Moggy? and thanks for clearing that up. do you find them more reliable too?

http://www.amazonoutdoors.com.au/Product/Fishing-Gear/Terminal-Tackle/Clips/SHOGUN-HAWAIIAN-SNAPI only get size 2 & 3, 2 is 40lb and is quite small, 3 is 80 lb.I am hoping that Sports Fishing Scene will get them in, as I prefer to buy local.