North Haven public boat ramp fee has increased

Why should that surprise me? :icon_e_confused:It's just another grab for the last few cents many of us have left to spend :icon_eek:I suppose it will be just a matter of time for others to follow then, at this stage i don't launch from North Haven very often, mostly when the bloodworm run is on.

Especially the one that has a monthly meal for 5 bucks

Five bucks! I'd expect a three course meal if I were paying that much!...........Oh yeah, that's right, soup and dessert is included in that price! ;DThen I get my own gate key so's I can let myself in any time day or night, I have my own private ramps and floating pontoons, all with no waiting! Wash bays, cleaning tables, toilets, showers, barbeque and barbeque area, fridge, free tea and cofffee, floodlights operated on a timer so's I can see to launch and retreive in the dark, and all monitored by 24 hour video surveillance, so's I know while I'm out that my car and trailer is safely tucked away!Then they organise tea nights, monthly fishing competitions, trips away, Bream & Mulloway nights, swap meets.If I launch at North Haven once per month, over the period of the year it'd cost the same as my yearly membership!Yep, ya'd have to be crazy to join a boat club! ;)

Ah they,re using the old trick of pricing everyone away! :icon_evil:.then it will be......nobody uses this ramp anymore..lets close it and sell the land for more townhouses >:(.As an added bonus no more noisy boaters waking up the local population flushing their outboards) :icon_evil: :icon_evil: Now i am being sarcastic aren't i ?.Sorry i caught the desease of Ranger! :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Ah they,re using the old trick of pricing everyone away! .then it will be......nobody uses this ramp anymore..lets close it and sell the land for more townhouses .As an added bonus no more noisy boaters waking up the local population flushing their outboards) Now i am being sarcastic aren't i ?.Sorry i caught the desease of Ranger!

the problem is, ya might just be right! :icon_e_surprised:I've already heard a rumour that the guy at the tacklestore there has been given his marching orders! :icon_e_sad:

Ah they,re using the old trick of pricing everyone away! :icon_evil:.then it will be......nobody uses this ramp anymore..lets close it and sell the land for more townhouses >:(.As an added bonus no more noisy boaters waking up the local population flushing their outboards) :icon_evil: :icon_evil: Now i am being sarcastic aren't i ?.Sorry i caught the desease of Ranger! :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Interesting comment Scorpion. Last time I was there and washing my boat down, the guy who was waiting behind me said to enjoy my time here, as they were looking at closing the ramp and selling the land for more houses. I just thought he was being a grumpy old fart cause he had to wait, but you never know.

Quote from: Ranger on Today at 05:01 PM

the problem is, ya might just be right! Posted by: Big Ian

No rumour there Ranger only facts.

I've already heard a rumour that the guy at the tacklestore there has been given his marching orders!
No more FISH-N-STUFF Peter has closed up shop, as of yesterday. Transportable building will be giong soonToilets are to be knocked down shortlyRecfish boaties make sure you remember to buy all your bait in future before getting down to North Haven, it's along drive back to Port Adelaide.Isn't it ironic, just when we all thought it would be easier for people to be able to fish out from North Haven via the new bridge the boating facilities deminish. Scorpion posted

Ah they,re using the old trick of pricing everyone away! .then it will be......nobody uses this ramp anymore..lets close it and sell the land for more townhouses. As an added bonus no more noisy boaters waking up the local population flushing their outboards) Now i am being sarcastic aren't i ?.Sorry i caught the desease of Ranger!

Sadly Scorpion, I think you hit the nail on the head.I have heard a rumour that the new shop may be an up market Cafe/Yacht & Sailing Chandlery , cattering for the toffee nosed society, hope I haven't offended anyone here. One consolation I guess with the New bridge now being opened is at least we fishers that live on Lefevre peninsular are ever so closer to York peninsular's HOT SPOTS

My 2c worth;The North Haven ramp is owned by the Cruising Yacht Club,that is a fact.However as I understand it,they are required by the Government to retain and maintain the ramp FOREVER,this was part of the original contract when the Govt sold them the area. The ramp must meet the relevant Australian standard,which I understand the modified one does.As far as launch fees go,I can only comment on my experience at West Beach,and based on average annual launches,the fee would only just cover the cost of maintaining the ramp.As an example,the annual water bill for the wash down bay's at West Beach is,I believe,around $50,000.Annual launches from West Beach averages about 12,000 @ $8.00 each = $96,000.Add on the cost of rubbish removal from the wash bay bins,lighting costs,maintenace/repair of the ticket machine,carpark maintenance etc you do not get much change out of your $96,000.On top of that is the cost of repair of the launch pontoons if they are damaged in a storm or vandalised.Last time the middle pontoon down here broke in half the repair bill was over $20,000 just to join them back together!I understand the frustation of the ever increasing cost of recreational boating as much as anyone,it is my living and my leisure,but unfortunately we are in a user pays economy,so we get to pay,and pay and pay.Just to head off some of the inevitable comment's;1.Ongoing maitenace of ramps is not eligable for funding from the Rec. Boating Levy,only upgrades etc.2.Reclaimed/treated water from SA Water can not be used in the wash bay's.The salt content is higher than mains water,so the corrosion risk to the internals of outboard engines is increased,and reclaimed water can cause significant staining to white and light coloured boat's (and car's)Yet again another longwinded post,maybe I need to get a life.Kym,Binks Marine

I believe the space occupied by the present Toilet, Rigging Area and Shop will be developed into a Fenced Compound with Facilities to cater for the needs of the new berths. EG: Storage Sheds, Toilets and Showers for the Berth Tennants plus waste sullage.??Some parking lots will be lost in the car park, this may be for the shop but nothing solid about a public toilet??

Not sure what will be happening about a bait and tackle shop down there.As far as public toilets go that is a major problem at any boat ramp.The toilets at West Beach are only open when the Sea Rescue Radio Base is open.The Sea Rescue guys open and close them when they open and close the radio base.The main reason is vandalism.The biggest culprits are those in our society who have nothing better to do late at night than drive around and breaking other peoples property in the dead of night for the "fun" of it.The toilets here used to be open until 11pm,until the repair and cleaning bills started to average out at around $500 per week!As yet no one has ben able to find acost effective solution to the problem.

"As an example,the annual water bill for the wash down bay's at West Beach is,I believe,around $50,000.Annual launches from West Beach averages about 12,000 @ $8.00 each = $96,000"I do not disagree that the cost of maintaining a boat ramp might be very high, I do wonder about the $50,000 charge for water usage though. Kym, I am not doubting that someone has told you this figure, I just find it hard to come to grips with. At 12,000 launches per year that is $4 worth of water for each launch. I think SA Water's commercial rate for high usage is around $1.38 per Kilolitre. That works out at around 3,000 litres of water per wash (a tap flat out might pump 30 litres per minute I am guessing) - that's 100 minutes of runing water for 3,000 litres???? Maybe $5,000 would be more like it, ............or - heaven forbid, I have made a mistake in my working out.O2Catch1

No,you may well be right with your working out.I am no expert in that area,all I know is that the taps are on 25mm pipe and pump out a LOT of water.The problem is we also have to factor in the guy who comes down 3 days a week to flush and wash his commercial carpet cleaning equipment (yes this is a fact),as well as the large number of boaties who do a full wash,rinse and wax on both car and boat every time they go fishing (we timed one group and they averaged 1 hour 10 minutes per wash and clean each trip over 3 weekends,with the tap left running all the time!). Added to this are the ever vigilant "night stalkers" who take pleasure in turning on all the taps full bore some time after midnight,so myself or another early arrival can turn them off at around 5.30 or 6.00am,that is if they have not smashed the taps off alltogether so we have to call the after hours guy to come down and do a repair job.Then there are the local,and not so local,residents that prefer to wash their car every week with someone elses water,to keep their own bill's down.The list could go on.The problem we all face as boaties and recreational fisho's in general is that some of our own,and many who are not,will take maximum advantage of any facilities put in place for the legitimate,reasonable use of the majority of us who try and do the right thing.Granted the figures I was given may be exagerated slightly by those that gave them to me,but my own experience tells me they are not too far off the mark.

Was down there today to have a look at what has been reported. Rigging area is now in the carpark, the old rigging area is half fenced off with only enough room to turn and line up for the ramp. Washdown bay is obscured with a stack of pontoons ready for the new marina extention. Coast Guard was closed and no-one was around their base. On a Sunday not good for the boaties out there. Looks like Sea Rescue will have to patrol a much larger area now.

hi all yes it is a shame to see peter go after looking after boaties for years i think there will be problems getting in and out of the ramp area also the ticket fee is to much seeing the new ramp at taperoo is 7 dollars launch fee regards petermar :)

If you are talking the new marina and ramp in the Port river, they have no washdown facilities there.
  • 3 weeks later...

I went out with a mate in his boat on wednesday arvo.Launching was much as stated in the above posts with less rigging, no toilets ect ect.But coming back in at night around 7 o'clock, we found no lighting at all.I ended up parking my car with the headlights pointing down the ramp so as to assist with retreval of the boat, and when we got to the wash down area which also had no lighting, I connected the hose to wash out the motors and there was no water, WTF >:( >:(I sit here wondering how can they charge users $10 for boat launching facilities that are just shit, I know that the ramp is under redevelopment but to still charge the money and not even have water to wash down is just f**king stupid.

• 7 years later...

well i still come back and fish here, i moved back to vic, i leave boat here as i come back see the kids and grand kids. s.a the dear state i call it now, lived here 20 years was far cheaper than vic, um no more you pay double electricity easy double boat rego far more for car rego, i pay $300 for my jeep, s,.a was about $800 my tinny here is about $90 my tinny in vic $35. boat rego was doubled in s.a. to pay for the boat ramps. now we also have to pay to use the ramps, i refuse and use the old crappy ramp where they load unload cars in port river. I get my feet wet, beats paying the fee I'm already paying on my boat here. its disgraceful how the government is screwing everyone over, even the pension concession is pathetic in s.a.  this is the only state where emergency levy is paid and no one on a pension is entitled ambulance cover free. every other state pensioners are free ambo cover. s.a. people are getting ripped off and doesn't matter if liberal or labour, its the same thing just different name.

not only are fees always increasing and also marine safety ,patrol spencer gulf ramps like hunting dogs ,try to give me a warning over torch not working and if next time i am caught with a non working torch will be fined,i sad will not except cause the torch battery was flat ,and a debate started as i have torch on my phone ,,after a brief argument ,i carried on to retrieve my vessel, marine safety helped a couple of old fellas in a 4 metre tinny dock and he went right thru his boat , flares are just out of date by two weeks and was fined for that,another was fined for exceeding the 4 knots speed limit with no radar gun wtf ,i seen this safety officer issue 3 fines in a matter of 15 mins and there was at least 100 boats on the water that day ,marine safety, no one died or got hurt  this day but ,marine safety would of made $thousands that day,and the time wallaroo fee machine was not working,and 50 boats fined for not paying boat fees ,do you think they checked the ticket machine ,well they did cause and local fella who just like to watch boats a the ramp seen this happen ,some fishos were compensated who chased there fine up,but i reckon some would have left it and paid the fine i think  was around 80$ and say 20 boats did not chase there fine @$80=$1600 council cash crab for the morning

@ Jayman, unless your phone floats it does not meet the standard required for marine torches & as such you had no excuse. Law is the law whether you like it or not. I`d consider you were very lucky to get off with a warning, but you evidently are peeed off enough to gripe about their "revenue raising". If the flares are expired they`re expired (even if only 2 weeks out of date), near enough ain`t good enough IMO. Astounds me in this life that so many ppl bitch about this stuff when they know they`re in the wrong.  It`s all about attitude to authority it seems to me. It`s VOLUNTARY TAXATION, all you have to do to avoid paying is follow the rules, if you don`t, you pay & I don`t have a problem with that.

Cheers ppl.

Jaffa , just did not like there attitude, give attitude and get it back, so as ,if my boat is on the water there are in control ,bullshit ,and the torch was working with minimal light and the battery did not last as long as they usually would as most probably been sitting on the shelf for to long i think and i would be more understandable if the law was framed for night time as it was a daylight session why is a torch a so important during the day,and the law is the law and you keep doing what the law states laws are good for making money and hey  and i was not in the wrong and yeah my phone floats cheers 

JAYMAN, excuses excuses excuses, it`s got nothing to do with how long the battery lasts "normally" or how long it sat on the shelf. You failed to check it, & it all has to do with your attitude not theirs. The authorities see the same lousy attitude from everybody they caution /fine. Time to take responsibility for your actions IMO.

Cheers

yer the torch must float and work, I don't think they can book you if it works there is no legislation to say how bright it must be though. but common sense if he said put a better battery in it ect that's all. if he did, then he did his job. not a big deal. not worth getting in argument over. I had a fire extinguisher in green, 2 weeks later I was checked, was red, but I was not fined, I went got another, took the one out that was checked, it was green again, like really!!!! that's a first that's happened. has that ever happened to any of you guys before? I lay mine down maybe a false reading.

does anyone know if you can fish in north haven inside in the harbour area. on ruff days I have been thinking because I have a small tinny fishing in there sheltered, I fish it fairly ruff, but I'm disabled with sproriatic arthritis bad its a psoriasis skin disease I have bad, 75% of my skin is covered and I won the lottery in psoriasis and got the type that attacks my tendons and joints, if I anchor in waves is like ive been in a car crash and can hardly turn my head, without all the other pain thrown in all over, so I was thinking in north haven be better for me, I like catching squid, and smaller fish as in whiting and flat head, I couldn't pull in a big fish. I'm content on what I call normal fishing, enough pain just doing that. I cant find anything written saying you cant fish in there. does anyone know at all?