Casting Abu 7000

Sounds like it needs a service' date=' or not setting the casting dial correct and have it too tight still. ;)[/quote']Have dialed it in as per the instructions, the reel is less than 3 months old so I wouldnt think it'd need a service already? Well looked after and cleaned with a damp cloth after use every time.....
Have dialed it in as per the instructions' date=' the reel is less than 3 months old so I wouldnt think it'd need a service already? Well looked after and cleaned with a damp cloth after use every time.....[/quote']You'd be surprised how often brand new reels come poorly lubricated. Often they will use a fairly heavy grease at the factory as well which can slow the spool down considerably. It also doesn't take long for the worm gear on the levelwind to get sticky and that can slow down the reel as well. You could also be using too much thumb on the spool in an effort to not have backlashes? You can definitely get way more than 30m out of that reel.
Maybe the worm gear as it is noisy when casting? Almost like the spo is struggling to spin. Is it easy to disassemble' date=' lubricate and put together again.... I am a tradie[/quote']Those worm gears need regular lubrication, use that little bottle of abu oil that should have come with the reel, just a small amount every time you go out, if the reel is getting wet then you may even need to re apply during a session.

Some 7000's have bushes and others have bearings(i can't remember which)but the one with bushes is the choice for casters.With it out of gear the lure/rig should slowly sink to the floor in about 2secs from waist height,then as your casting improves you back off the spool tension,if your not getting any backlash then dial off some more tension and see how you go. cheers brenton

There's a lot of little tricks with these things. As has been mentioned if it's noisy when casting some lubrication sounds in order. If it's a 7000 & not 7000C it will have bushes, the C denotes bearings (used to anyway), way back in the 1970s the Ambassadeur 7000 was the reel of choice for champion beachcasters who were achieving distances of 200metres! They're easy to take down and clean, so I'd strip it, check the grease on the gears & replace with a light grease and oil the bushes & worm gear with a very light oil, the oil supplied is perfect for the bushes & worm gear. When reassembling make sure you get the anti reverse pawl in the correct position & that's about the only tricky bit. My 7000 & 6000C are both over 30 years old & still performing beautifully. When you've finished and go to use it ensure the level wind is in the correct position for the line, this is important as if you get it wrong you can end up with the line at one side of the spool and the level wind at the other end, this will considerably reduce casting distance! Cheers Wahoo

Stripped it down last night, oiled the worm gear. Pulled it apartment had no idea what I was doing. The thing fell apart and I lost my shit...... But eventually I figured out how to piece it back together. I was thinking that there was sand or dirt inside, all was clean. Oiled the worm drive, haven't tested the casting yet but now when I wind, with the drag backed off, It makes clicking noise. I'm taking it into shop to get a once over, so we'll see what happens.

Cheers everyone for the help.Thanks tri hull, would have been handy last night when the panic mode set in :lol: Gave it a good test this morning seems like it is good now. The spool is spinning much better after a light oil and everything on it is working correctly. Still yet to test the cast distance but I'll try it out on the weekend.

next time you are at your local tackle shop (or at sportfishing scene speak to Darren/ MR.Balls )ask them for some carbontex drag washers for it as well Moggy23 & HSVLS19 have both upgraded theirs and now the drag pulls off ultra smooth cheers 4THA

4THALOVE is right Moggy23 and i have 4 7000 with cardontex drag washers and shimano oil as well.WORKS KILLA. I was going replace my reels but with this upgrade didnt need to.

Pulled it apartment had no idea what I was doing. The thing fell apart and I lost my shit...... But eventually I figured out how to piece it back together.

lol, that's how I first learned to rebuild reels as well, it gets easier the more you do it :lol: I believe you said it was a relatively new reel? If so it should already have carbontex drag washers, Abu finally switched over a few years ago after many years of building great casting reels with crap drag systems. ;)
Pulled it apartment had no idea what I was doing. The thing fell apart and I lost my shit...... But eventually I figured out how to piece it back together.
lol' date=' that's how I first learned to rebuild reels as well' date=' it gets easier the more you do it :lol: I believe you said it was a relatively new reel? If so it should already have carbontex drag washers, Abu finally switched over a few years ago after many years of building great casting reels with crap drag systems. ;)[/quote'']Is there anyway to tell what type of washers are in the drag. They are dark grey in colour and kind of look like a gasket material if that makes sense?
There's a lot of little tricks with these things. As has been mentioned if it's noisy when casting some lubrication sounds in order. If it's a 7000 & not 7000C it will have bushes' date=' the C denotes bearings (used to anyway), way back in the 1970s the Ambassadeur 7000 was the reel of choice for champion beachcasters who were achieving distances of 200metres! They're easy to take down and clean, so I'd strip it, check the grease on the gears & replace with a light grease and oil the bushes & worm gear with a very light oil, the oil supplied is perfect for the bushes & worm gear. When reassembling make sure you get the anti reverse pawl in the correct position & that's about the only tricky bit. My 7000 & 6000C are both over 30 years old & still performing beautifully. When you've finished and go to use it ensure the level wind is in the correct position for the line, this is important as if you get it wrong you can end up with the line at one side of the spool and the level wind at the other end, this will considerably reduce casting distance! Cheers Wahoo[/quote']Abu overheads, or multipliers as they are called in the UK, have forever been the tournament caster's reel of choice!Some of the tricks the pro's would use was to totally remove the level winder and the centrifugal or magnetic brakes for a start. The normal casting weights for distance were around 4 to 6 ounces with a minimum 12 ft rod generally with a solid aircraft grade aluminium butt section to 7 ft and a graphite, 5 or 6ft top section. Shock leaders to take the strain of casting these distances were around 60lb and just enough length to get a half dozen turns on the reel. A piece of inner tube rubber tied to the butt below the reel which can be used as a thumb brake when casting to save your thumb when the shock leader knot comes off the reel.Google the "Pendulum cast" to see how we achieved these distances.The main line could be as little as 10 lbs breaking strain to give minimum air resistance and optimum filling up of the reel. ABU originally gave a full lifetime warranty on these "Rolls Royce" of fishing reels but I'm not certain of this fact nowadays with the farming out of Trade names to foreign Countries?I own a 46 year old ABU 9000C which I bought new in the UK and it still can biff out 180 yards on my 13ft 6" Leslie Moncrieffe Rod which is around the same age!! Trouble is, in SA all the shore fishing is virtually under your feet whereas if you couldn't cast these distances in the UK you were in danger of not clearing the rocks along the shore line of my native North East Coast!

Yep. Got both of mine in the mid-late 1970s when I was still in UK & single. I was south coast & you needed a long cast to get Bass in summer or Cod in the winter. Still got a 12' ABU Atlantic beach rod capable of casting up to 9oz a bloody long way. As you say, removing centrifugal blocks helps, got rid of mine years ago. Kept the level wind as I'm too lazy to use my thumb!!

Yep. Got both of mine in the mid-late 1970s when I was still in UK & single. I was south coast & you needed a long cast to get Bass in summer or Cod in the winter. Still got a 12' ABU Atlantic beach rod capable of casting up to 9oz a bloody long way. As you say' date=' removing centrifugal blocks helps, got rid of mine years ago. Kept the level wind as I'm too lazy to use my thumb!![/quote']Phewww!! I'm so pleased there is someone else nearly as old as me on the Forum :laugh::laugh::laugh: And, BONUS an ex-pom as well ;) ABU kit was/is always the top gear around the World and the "Atlantic"Rod was/is a standout as well B)

I've thought about it quite a bit over the years. Problems at the moment are I'm time poor & when I get time the whole family want to come, when the oldies get past clambering into the boat and with retirement racing toward me every year it's certainly a possibility in the future.

I've thought about it quite a bit over the years. Problems at the moment are I'm time poor & when I get time the whole family want to come' date=' when the oldies get past clambering into the boat and with retirement racing toward me every year it's certainly a possibility in the future.[/quote']You'd better crack on then mate, I'm just retired and there ain't gonna be many fish left to catch at the rate I'm travelling :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I've thought about it quite a bit over the years. Problems at the moment are I'm time poor & when I get time the whole family want to come' date=' when the oldies get past clambering into the boat and with retirement racing toward me every year it's certainly a possibility in the future.[/quote']You'd better crack on then mate' date=' I'm just retired and there ain't gonna be many fish left to catch at the rate I'm travelling :laugh::laugh::laugh:[/quote']I reckon you're just keeping the population down enough to stop them being stunted. As long as you keep doing that they're still be some good ones left & they'll just get bigger :lol: and wiser :whistle: Which means I'll have to fish smarter. :ohmy: