Targeting Snook, how to???

Boys n GalsJust got back from the yorke from a weeks holiday, caught the usual tommies, gar and squid. Getting a bit bored with that and with 5 weeks holiday still left i want to target SnookOk so how to??? Any info on rigs setup baits lures etc Also how fast do you troll for snook im jetty bound so how fast do u walk the jetty and how fast to do wind in a lure?What jetties places are best for snook???Thx for any info :)

Best times to fish for snook from jetties is the first and last light of the day.During the night under jetty lights is also rewarding.I like to fish using bait at night( frogmouth pichards or whitebait ) and hardbody lures or soft plastics for sight fishing during early/last light.Jetty Snook seem to be smarter than boat caught Snook, probably because they have had every bait and lure waved in front of there nose.The retrieve speed of a lure will depend on the mood of the snook.Fast is good at times especially when snook are in numbers and are competing for food.They don't have time to really investigate the offering or another snook will grab it before it does.And then the slowest of retrieves will only work with snook taking the offering at your feet.Hours and hours of fishing in early hours of the morning leading into day break, observing and trying different techniques is the key.Moonta bay jetty has always been my favourite as the jetty is quiet at night has ample lighting for bait fish to be attracted and is realatively shallow so you can see the snook.Full moons/new moons and 2 days either sides always seem to be productive.I hope Ive been of help.Goodluck.

If you've ever fished for Salmon before, it's pretty similar.Heavy leader is a must. I usually go with about a foot of 20lb mono. I don't fish with baits much, but half an unweighted pilchard should do the trick.Normally with Snook and Salmon I rip the lures in very quickly, just under the surface of the water. Something nice and shiny is the go if it's sunny or something that puts off a big vibration if its a bit over cast or night time. Don't be afraid to use big lures either. Snook will smash another fish almost half it's own size, so bigger lures with bigger trebles can be good. Since Snook can grow to 1m+ it's better to go bigger than curse yourself later for losing that big one because you went too light. Heavier lures mean you can also crank them faster and they will still stay down. St Kilda breakwall has been holding Snook lately and the boys are getting the odd one off Nth Haven breakwalls. Not too sure about the Jetties, but someone on here will know.

Thx BoysI have fished and caught heaps of salmon but never used lures for them always patanosta rigs. Thanks for the info, so they like shallow water as well, get them in nice and close to shore?i tried for 3 hours at point turton jetty after the park owner made me a snook rig and was a mad snook fisher said they are a smart and tricky fish to catch but can catch 7 in a session got me pumped but ive only ever caught 1 snook before and that was on a gar/tommie rig with size 10 hooks so he musta been hungry or stupidPlus i really love eating snook but have never thought about catching them, so its just a matter of putting in the hours from a jetty working and retrieving your bait/lure??Im very keen to go after these buggers :)

• 2 weeks later...

^^ whats that lure called?? ^^does anyone have names of any other lures that will work for snook?and how do you cast the soft plastics out far enough (from the jetty)? can you add a running bean sinker if its too light?

not sure :laugh: just liked the look of it as i used a similar 1 in Port lincoln national park and cleaned up 15 big snook, any tackle shop should have them, the 1 in th pic is actually half the size..http://campingsouthaustralia.com/snook.php might help