time for cooked crabs

Another tip....don't overcook them. My Chef's tip for the day.Method 1Rapidly boiling water (Salt water, not salted water)Plunge crabs in, whack lid on for quicker re boil, once water is boiling again, leave for a max of 2 minutes before removing and plunging into ice seawater. Shell and eat !! Delish !!!!Method 2Same as method 1 but clean the crabs first, and once you put them into the boiling water and then it re boils turn the heat down to a gentle boil not a rapid boil.

• 1 month later...

I find it best to rip their backs off n wash out guts etc gently with running water. So not to marinate them in their own filth. Also I cut gills n eyes off. Boil water (sea water), turn on low simmer and simmer for 7 to 8 mins max. Keep in fridge covered for no longer than 2 days otherwise they become dry n very low tasting also. Damn I love crab n it has been a great crab season. Enjoy mate.

Don't forget if you don't like the taste of vinegar, you can freeze crab meat.When I was running my restaurant I used to buy it in frozen from Anjelakis brothers in Adelaide. It was good quality meat packed into small 500gm bags and frozen. I used to use this a a standby when fresh was not around. Tastes great.

I've always boiled crab, until a member from the site (Hoopsy) introduced me to steamed crab at his Crab & Gar day at North Haven last year.Shell, clean and half the crabs. Just a little saltwater in the bottom of the crab cooker, stick em in the basket and let it steam away for about 15 mins.I'll never go back to boiling!

I've always boiled crab' date=' until a member from the site (Hoopsy) introduced me to steamed crab at his Crab & Gar day at North Haven last year.Shell, clean and half the crabs. Just a little saltwater in the bottom of the crab cooker, stick em in the basket and let it steam away for about 15 mins.I'll never go back to boiling![/quote']Agreed! I chuck in some whole red chilli, ginger and lemon grass in the steamer too B)

I haven't tried this with Blue Swimmer Crabs yet, but Mud Crabs done on mesh over an open fire worked for me...Always used to boil them previously, but following advice about how the Aboriginals cooked them on an open fire, I gave it a go and haven't looked back since.The texture and taste is totally different...Cheersaf

I've always boiled crab' date=' until a member from the site (Hoopsy) introduced me to steamed crab at his Crab & Gar day at North Haven last year.Shell, clean and half the crabs. Just a little saltwater in the bottom of the crab cooker, stick em in the basket and let it steam away for about 15 mins.I'll never go back to boiling![/quote']I'll have to give this a go Ranger. Cheers.