Beer Batter

Whats ya favorite recipes boys n girls??Never made it but was shown last week and it tasted beautifulObviously beer ( im gonna use Coopers pale Ale) but what kind of flour is it?? Plain flour?? Also i think he chucked in some herb n spices ?? Once made how long would this stay ok coupla days??

• 3 weeks later...

keep it simple half bottle beer to about a half cup of self raising flour (can add more or less is up to you).always add flour to the beer not the other way round and gently whisk together (dont whisk the hell out of it) let sit for 10-15min before use will last a day or two but fresh is best.

Here's a couple of batters I quite like:Tempura Batter1 egg1 cup ice cold water¾ cup flourPinch bicarb sodaBeat egg and water, add flour and bicarb. Do not overbeat.Beer Batterin a bowl combine plain flour and 1 stubbie COLD pale ale. (must be cold) make a cream-like consistency, add salt and pepper to taste, and Vegeta seasoning. (for those of you who havent heard of it, its available from most supermarkets near the chicken salt) Beat together and add 3-4 ice cubes and put in fridge for about ten minutes (this ensures when the batter hits the hot oil it will stay crispy and golden) Pat the fish dry and flour lightly. Dip in Cold batter and straight into VERY hot oil. Fry for 1-2 mins turning about half way through cooking.There are many different types of batter, all of them quite simple. Carbonated water is an alternative to beer, but the secret to any batter is to throw in a few ice cubes to get it really cold, and dont make it too thick.I also dust my fish in rice flour (lighter than normal wheat flour) prior to dunking in the batter. Rice flour is also an alternative to plain flour in the batter if you want something a little lighter.If you like spices, try a mix of sea salt, white pepper, chili flakes and chinese 5 spice. It's also suitable for items such as salt and pepper squid which is floured prior to cooking. It is also good to mix in with anything crumbed.For very delicate flavoured fish such as KG Whiting or Garfish, I wouldn't use a batter at all, but instead just a light dusting with flour, lightly fried, pinch of salt and squeeze of lemon. Save the batter for hardier flavoured fish.