my personal bests and fishing tally

just a newbie to fishing. i've kept some information as a record of my progress. Salmon Trout = 1, Best = 25cm Grange jetty, Most = x1 Grange jettySquid = 15, Best = 25cm Rapid Bay jetty, Most = x5 Brighton jettyTommy Ruff = 21, Best = 21cm Rapid Bay jetty, Most = x12 Rapid Bay jettyWhiting (YF) = 26, Best = 31cm Grange jetty, Most = x4 Grange jettybest = longest speciment i've caughtmost = most specimens caught in a single sessionspecies = tally of total legal size caught (have caught other species but I only record those with size/bag limits)

I did have a spreadsheet going but then my computer crashed and I lost everything. Never started again... Had everything from moon phase to barometric pressure and everything in between. Even had graphs so I could try and work out the best times to target certain species. Really should start it again but its a couple of years befor you start to see some patterns emerging. Bit hard to get motivated to start again.

• 1 year later...
great idea y85' date=' I too would like to record my trips and catches so here is the question- Do you(or anyone on here) use a computer program to do your records?[/quote']http://www.fishsa.com/fishinglog.phpThis program has some excellent reviews, I have recently received a copy and it looks very comprehensive. Haven't had time to start using it yet.

I've mentioned this before but I have used FishLog for many years. You can backup info onto a USB or other media. If your computer crashes or you change computers/laptops you can reload the programme & not loose your previous info. You can also upload or download info into GPS units or print out all your marks amongst many other functions the programme has. Ken Fox is very accommodating should you get stuck with something. He provides a yearly tide & programme update for a small fee. Fantastic in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I've mentioned this before but I have used FishLog for many years. You can backup info onto a USB or other media. If your computer crashes or you change computers/laptops you can reload the programme & not loose your previous info. You can also upload or download info into GPS units or print out all your marks amongst many other functions the programme has. Ken Fox is very accommodating should you get stuck with something. He provides a yearly tide & programme update for a small fee. Fantastic in my opinion.

How much does he charge for the fishlog? assuming you mean the one from the fishsa site it doesnt seem to have a price listed, just had contact info for the creator@op fantastic job on the log mate, wait until you land your first 40cm+ whiting land based its an awesome feeling :cheer:
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally cracked the 10LB mark for my best salmon!!actually went 5.2kg or 11.7lb!First :c cast down at locks well on sunset!! with a duel adagio engulfed down its throat!So :c :c :c HAPPY!!!Not the heaviest in the salmon comp so far but easily my biggest salmon out of the surf!Have got a fishing log app on my phone and I always keep a tally of the fish I have caught no matter what size and where I caught themLines tight!h80aaf66.jpg

Finally cracked the 10LB mark for my best salmon!!actually went 5.2kg or 11.7lb!First :c cast down at locks well on sunset!! with a duel adagio engulfed down its throat!So :c :c :c HAPPY!!!Not the heaviest in the salmon comp so far but easily my biggest salmon out of the surf!Have got a fishing log app on my phone and I always keep a tally of the fish I have caught no matter what size and where I caught themLines tight![attachment=15686]h80aaf66.jpg[/attachment]

wow awesome salmon mate did you measure the length of it
  • 2 weeks later...

Agree with kayak fisherNice to keep a brag sheet,Better to keep a log of all things fishingI agree with others xcel spreadsheet is the go. If your not computer savvy an old exercise book divided into the twelve months will do.Just write down your results with as much info s possegTides, wind direction and strength etc tc

• 1 month later...

nice salmon that one is a monster!, must have got quite a feed from it.heres an update of my fishing tally, haven't added anything in a long time. keen to start fishing more now that the weathers warming up and hopefully adding new species to the list.LAND TALLYGarfish Total = 3 Best = ~28cm Brighton jetty Most = x2 Brighton jettySalmon Trout Total = 7 Best = ~30cm St Kilda breakwater Most = x4 St Kilda breakwaterSquid Total = 20 Best = 25cm Rapid Bay jetty Most = x5 Brighton jettyTommy Ruff Total = 21 Best = 21cm Rapid Bay jetty Most = x12 Rapid Bay jettyWhiting (KG) Total = 1 Best = 35cm Brighton jetty Most = x1 Brighton jettyWhiting (YF) Total = 26 Best = 31cm Grange jetty Most = x4 Grange jettyBest bait fish = Brighton jetty: Whiting (KG) 35cmBest lure fish = St Kilda: Salmon Trout 24cmBest mixed bag = Brighton jetty: x5 Squid, x1 Whiting (KG) Brighton jetty: x2 Squid, x2 GarfishBOAT TALLYSquid Total = 7 Best = 28cm Seacliff Most = x7 SeacliffKAYAK TALLYnothing yet, but only been out fishing once

• 1 year later...

update (couldn't edit old posts). not much progress since I made this, however I didn't count trips where I fished with a mate and we combined our catch, due to not knowing who caught what.

LAND TALLY

Garfish Total = 3 Best = ~28cm Brighton jetty Most = x2 Brighton jetty

Salmon Trout Total = 7 Best = ~30cm St Kilda breakwater Most = x4 St Kilda breakwater

Squid Total = 20 Best = 25cm Rapid Bay jetty Most = x5 Brighton jetty

Tommy Ruff Total = 21 Best = 21cm Rapid Bay jetty Most = x12 Rapid Bay jetty

Whiting (KG) Total = 1 Best = 35cm Brighton jetty Most = x1 Brighton jetty

Whiting (YF) Total = 26 Best = 31cm Grange jetty Most = x4 Grange jetty

Best bait fish = Brighton jetty: Whiting (KG) 35cm

Best lure fish = St Kilda: Salmon Trout 24cm

Best mixed bag = 1. Brighton jetty: x5 Squid, x1 Whiting (KG) 2. Brighton jetty: x2 Squid, x2 Garfish

BOAT TALLY

Squid Total = 7 Best = 28cm Seacliff Most = x7 Seacliff

KAYAK TALLY

Squid Total = 2 Best = 22cm Seacliff Most = x2 Seacliff