slimy mackrel

I grew up fishing south coast NSW and have caught plenty of slimies on sabikis. I use to tie my own with heavier trace and hooks as you occasionally get some odd captures on them. I have caught squid, trevally, and salmon on them and my bro has caught a rat kingie on one.Just be aware that you need to cut them in half in SA to stick to the 3 hook limit. They work well with a bit of bait and a reasonable sized sinker to keep the rig straight. If your sinker is too light the first slimie will roll and twist the trace.I still find the fastest way to catch slimies is a hook and bait. Get them burleyed onto the surface then just drop an unweighted hook with a pilchard fillet down. The trick to catching them quickly is not to hook heaps on a sabiki and spend lots of time unhooking and untangling, but to catch them quickly, unhook quickly and get the bait back out quickly.When slimies come into the burley, I just grab a 3 hook whiting rig and remove the sinker. Circle hooks also work well as it is easier to unhook the fish.

I dont use sabikis because they tangle, they are too light, too small, and have too many hooks.Even cut down to 3 hooks they tangle up and are a pain in the bum.For slimeys I just cube my first slimey as bait, stick a cube onto an unweighted hook and send it down the burley trail.Slimeys come aboard thick and fast when a school is around, so I've never even bothered using a 2 hook rig for them.You can pull them in, rebait and have another hooked in about a 30 second turnaround, so a single hook has always worked fine for me.....at 2 per minute, and with a second angler doing the same I can have all I need (about 20 fish)in 5 minutes flat, and all the extras I butterfly, brine, and chuck in the smoker, as we get some pretty large slimeys around the metro area.

THE BEST way to catch them hands down is with a surface burley and a mag minnow in pilchard color ' date=' just get the burly going and when u see them goin nuts just cast it in the burley trail and they'll nail it, could literally get thousands if u want!!! Good fun on light gear too! Plus no need to rebait![/quote']Its definately a sight to be seen someone in full swing catching em on lure.I must say LF that you are the Mack King. :lol::lol: :woohoo:

make your own 3 hook rigs unweighted with split shot or tooline 10-20lbhook sizes 6-2 find little octopus gamakatsu's work best.used to use al-foil strips as i tied the knot over the hook with a bit of feather glue on worked amazing especially when my 8 year old cousins came fishin with me gettin triple headers with no baitBerley the key, and the love Pillies flesh strips and the MAckerel flesh its self in strips amazing and salmon love it too