Salmon surf rod

Am planning my first trip to Elliston this year and am after a new surf rod for the adventure budget around $400 or under for combo rod, reel and line, i'm thinking around the 8kg - 12kg range and 12ft will most likely run 20lb mono and be for bait fishing only any ideas will be great.would like to use a reel i have already a shimano ultegra xtb 14000 but i feel it may be to heavy for the purpose of the rod so a point in the right direction on reel choice would be helpful alsomany thanx ;) Mark

ditto on the snyderglas... match to an alvey for the times when the reel WILL fall in the sand or get a soaking from a rouge wave.. rinse it out and carry on fishing... like to see that done to a spinner without destroying something inside... yeah im biased... 25 yrs on the my snyder and alvey... though the old alvey creams the new alvey for sound, feel and toughness.. they dont make them like they used to , but still better for the sand than anything else around imho...good luck matey

Hiya Mark,I live in elliston and use my 12ft surf rod with a 8500 penn reel running 30lb line on it so i can use on salmon. then just change my reel onto my snapper rod and it seems to work a treat.14ft might be the go to just to cast that little bit further when fishing places like locks well and sheringa. But sometimes you don't need to cast that far as the schools of :f are right there.Actually schools of :f down at locks well at the moment only about 30m offshore. which is great to cast some lures into!If your coming inbetween june and august make sure you enter the salmon fishing comp. only $10 entry fee and could win $1000 per month for the heaviest fish, with $300 mystery weights drawen every fortnight.Lines tight! :f

http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=6354Kingfisher PoseidonYou will need to replace the lowest guide with a lowrider or larger guide and also put on a higher reel seat if you can't cast low mount.I have 2 sets with the light, medium and heavy tips. This rod will outcast any off the shelf rod available in Australia.The light tip is designed for pendulum casting 4oz leads + bait. I fished mine with 6oz and a big bait and it still had power to spare with an overhead thump.Full graphite and will balance great with an Ultegra 14000

cheers guys,im liking the look of the snyder glas rods that may be the go, will have to locate one and have a feel to be sure, have a few months to save for it so a bit of shopping around mite be in order, do like the wilson's as well already have a supergragh 5120 awsum rod but find it way to stiff and heavy for salmon.thanks again

• 2 months later...

So after taking in some of the advice given and my own personal preferences hunting around tackle shops looking at and feeling different surf rods mostly snyder and wilson, I decided I wasnt keen on the snyder as it had to be 2piece for storage and transport and was put off by the join in the blank when under load personal feelings after looking at them.As i have a couple of Wilson rods already i was happy to stick with what i know and trust and purchased the other day a 13'6" 8kg wilson seacoaster plan on matching a penn live liner to it should serve me well for my 1st trip to elliston and hope to land sum stonka salmon on it,and may be one of them elusive lb metro reds i here so much about around here, is but a dream.thanks for the adviceMark.

• 2 weeks later...