Importing a boat from the US

A work colleague has been in the process of importing a boat from the US since October last year, in the second week of March he will finally get his hands on it.Thought I'd pop up this picture he was sent by the agent of it in the container. Its a Brunswick 2052 Trophy Pro Walkaround and only JUST fit in a 40ft container.DSCN8907.JPGyes, it had to be put on its side with only about an inch on the sides and top to spare :)he got a good deal from the US and even with the shipping and agent costs ended up costing less than half of what he could buy one here for.

Hi Kingsley, yes ive seen many great deals from places like Wye River Marine. Look em up on facebook or their website as the prices of U.S boats are INSANE. :ohmy: :ohmy: Not only that they take care of all importing charges, documentation and freighting.But alot of them dont come with Trailers so good to see the one he sourced was on a trailer. Unbelievable that they can be shipped on their side. Cheers for the report.I would love to go down this track one day myself.Brett

Happens a lot Kingsley,a mate of mine imported a 26 foot Wellcract walk around centre console with 250hp Yamaha and landed in country less than 1/2 price for a simmilar boat. Included a Aus comlpiant trailer and custon boat cover......If you have the money, it is well worth lookingSimilar to what he bought below ...Wellcraft Centre Console

The other option if it won't fit in a container is for them to be sent on a flatbed instead, they get put on top of the stack of containers. the problem being is that at every stop they are taken off at a cost of i think $300 each time. wouldn't want the ship to be stopping at every port :)they flipped the container, drove the boat in, chocked and tied it down everywhere, then flipped it again and put a car in front of the boat. obviously all engine fluids, fuel etc needed to be drained to do this. someone then unloads it when it gets here.

mate of mine imports muscle cars/boats/jetskies from the states.. he recently landed a funny car for drag racing.. all up landed was 30k... hell the engine is worth that more alone if it was built here... and people wonder why we shop overseas or in another state... some big coin to be saved, and these days not much hassles to bring something in... the importers do all the paperwork and hunting down what you are after.. if anybody thinking of bringing in something send me a private message and i will post a link to his importing buisness... hes not a bad lad... cept too much raspberry cordial comes to mind with him. hahaha, hes full on hyper at times

mate of mine imports muscle cars/boats/jetskies from the states.. he recently landed a funny car for drag racing.. all up landed was 30k... hell the engine is worth that more alone if it was built here... and people wonder why we shop overseas or in another state... some big coin to be saved' date=' and these days not much hassles to bring something in... the importers do all the paperwork and hunting down what you are after.. if anybody thinking of bringing in something send me a private message and i will post a link to his importing buisness... hes not a bad lad... cept too much raspberry cordial comes to mind with him. hahaha, hes full on hyper at times[/quote']How is Graeme these days, :P ask him about a buggy he just imported, customs had him tied up knots about how dirty it was. :laugh:
WARNING, WARNINGAn ex-member of SAFWAA, who incidentally has just won the Port River Bream Championships, (page 75 Wildcoast)tried to import a boat from America around 2004 and the first he knew of the rip off, after laying thousands of bucks out, was a call from the US from the FBI :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: He told the story at a Club Meeting and we were as devastated for Darryl as he was for himself :(:rain: Apparently the "Agent" had copied official papers and used a legitimate company as a cover for his scam.I always wondered if they caught up with that :c :c :cBuyer beware and especially over the internet!!

Nice boat! Did some research on a few whilst in the US a few years back. Must be roughly a 2003/4/5 model.Did he have the trailer converted to ADR specs over there also? I couldn't believe how cheap new trailers are over there too. Man we get shafted here.

yeah its a 2003, you picked up on it being a Brunswick and not a Bayliner i see ;)he will be getting the trailer converted to our specs once it arrives.tonyb, this guy's son used the same agent to import a boat last year so its all sweet, but yeah buyer beware of course. If it were me and it was my first time importing i'd be checking out the 'agent' very closely.

I'll see if I can get the company details off him.A quick look at classifieds shows me that this particular boat is worth $40k-$60k here. The boat itself was bought for about $15k! plus agent fees and shipping etc all up it cost just over $20k.I have heard that some people (mainly boat yards) import all the time and even stockpile boats overseas and trickle them in as there is a fair amount of money to be made on the difference.

mate of mine imports muscle cars/boats/jetskies from the states.. he recently landed a funny car for drag racing.. all up landed was 30k... hell the engine is worth that more alone if it was built here... and people wonder why we shop overseas or in another state... some big coin to be saved' date=' and these days not much hassles to bring something in... the importers do all the paperwork and hunting down what you are after.. if anybody thinking of bringing in something send me a private message and i will post a link to his importing buisness... hes not a bad lad... cept too much raspberry cordial comes to mind with him. hahaha' date=' hes full on hyper at times[/quote'']How is Graeme these days, :P ask him about a buggy he just imported, customs had him tied up knots about how dirty it was. :laugh:
hes not doing too well actually.. after a costly rebuild of the hemi in the challendger, he blew it to pieces last weekend... doesnt look pretty.. when you coming back down to reclaim the track record matey?

Nice boat! Did some research on a few whilst in the US a few years back. Must be roughly a 2003/4/5 model.Did he have the trailer converted to ADR specs over there also? I couldn't believe how cheap new trailers are over there too. Man we get shafted here.

yeah its a 2003' date=' you picked up on it being a Brunswick and not a Bayliner i see ;)he will be getting the trailer converted to our specs once it arrives.tonyb, this guy's son used the same agent to import a boat last year so its all sweet, but yeah buyer beware of course. If it were me and it was my first time importing i'd be checking out the 'agent' very closely.
Agreed on that one Kingsley just thought I'd put the word about that there are a helluva a lot of traps for the unwary. The disappointment in Darryl's face has haunted me for a long time now! I'd hate to lose that amount of money to some no-good low life preying on a guys passion for fishing.

She's a nice looking unit. It would be good to get some company details and a rough price on what something like that costs. Wouldn't mind looking down that path myself. It's always better if someone has done all the leg work first.

He went the route of organising everything himself' date=' as going through a company that handles the whole lot costs more, would have cost about $12k. the downside is this takes longer and is more stressful.The shipping company he used in LA was Montana Exports, they just handle all the shipping on that side.also needed a purchasing agent to go inspect boats, eventually buy it and deliver it to the shipping company. The proprietor of Montana Exports recommended an agent.then you need a freight company on this side to take delivery of the container and unload it etc. there is a local guy here that imports mustangs regularly, to cut down on costs my co-worker shared a container with him. http://mustangsandaustralianclassics.com.au/he said he had a few sweaty palm moments, like when he transferred $15k and it disappeared into the banking system ether for a few days. and that its not worth importing anything from the east coast of the states due to the cost to send them to the west coast for shipping.but it will all be worth while when it lands here and he's out chasing tuna off KI, hopefully I'll get an invite :)

my uncle is importing harleys and muscle cars from the us and even after spending the money getting them shipped and compliant he still makes a tidy profit. Unbelievable how cheap all kinds of vehicles are over there. Even better now the financial side of things have gone down the drain for them. If your shipping includes a rail journey make sure it is packed in there well and it is well insured though. I have spent enough time around loading and unloading trains to know how "gentle" Those guys can be.

She's a nice looking unit. It would be good to get some company details and a rough price on what something like that costs. Wouldn't mind looking down that path myself. It's always better if someone has done all the leg work first.

He went the route of organising everything himself' date=' as going through a company that handles the whole lot costs more, would have cost about $12k. the downside is this takes longer and is more stressful.The shipping company he used in LA was Montana Exports, they just handle all the shipping on that side.also needed a purchasing agent to go inspect boats, eventually buy it and deliver it to the shipping company. The proprietor of Montana Exports recommended an agent.then you need a freight company on this side to take delivery of the container and unload it etc. there is a local guy here that imports mustangs regularly, to cut down on costs my co-worker shared a container with him. http://mustangsandaustralianclassics.com.au/he said he had a few sweaty palm moments, like when he transferred $15k and it disappeared into the banking system ether for a few days. and that its not worth importing anything from the east coast of the states due to the cost to send them to the west coast for shipping.but it will all be worth while when it lands here and he's out chasing tuna off KI, hopefully I'll get an invite :)
Hi Kingsley, I just want to clarify this?So doing everything himself was $12K approx.would $15K through an agent be in the ball park on his rig?Brett

Yes thats unbelievably cheap. The yanks were living above their means for so long...now everything is being dumped at fire sale prices.If only Aussie boat builders could find staff that would either work for free or for less than the dole then maybe they could compete with these prices.In Australia people actually want to earn a decent living which means goods and services cost more plus we tend not to have the large volume discounts here.I was anti-fouling my brother's boat at Adelaide Shore marina a couple of years back and there was some imported boats being stored there. There was a pro-line, a trophy and cat of some description.Actually had a good look at them and all of them suffered a lot of sun damage, gel coat cracking, torn seats etc. These issues certainly wouldn't have showed up in any photos. They never do.

Thats spot on about the sun damage as a lot of yanks like to keep there boats moored or outside. I have seen some older boats with clearly visible damaged seats etc when browsing Boats.com. It is definately worth making sure the boat you intend to import would be in tip top condition.The range of great boats (ie walkarounds or even centre consoles) is unbeleivable.heres some of the brands Ive been checking out.Bayliner TrophySea HuntSailfishSeaSwirlWellcraftPro-LineShamrock WA (walk around)and there seems to be a few more worth checking out likeBaha WalkaroundsHrydra Sports

Hi Kingsley' date=' I just want to clarify this?So doing everything himself was $12K approx.would $15K through an agent be in the ball park on his rig?Brett[/quote']About $12k is what he said for going through a mob that handles everything.Cost him less to do it all himself.Boat is currently being held by customs! :pinch: I think they're searching it for mexicans :silly: The agent sent him about 200 photos of every nook and cranny of the thing, no torn seats or crappy gelcoat.